OLB: Anderson 2. Love

MLB: Santos 2. Roach

OLB: Afalava 2. Brown

CB: Baptiste 2. Rose

CB: Green 2. Davie

FS: Jackson 2. Gerry

SS: Cooper 2. Alexander

What happened to DT Jay Guy?

I think we are still speaking about different definitions of proven. It's all good though. When the season starts, everything will get more clear.

Cross "Proved" he was our biggest running back last year. That is all!

That was the point I was making as well. I think he is a good back. He seems to be doing all of the right things to prepare for this year but as far as a PROVEN back? I can't get myself to agree to that based on how the coaches used him last year. He gained game time experience but not much was ever on the line when he was playing.

I'll add mine.

QB: Martinez 2. Armstrong

HB: Abdullah 2. Newby

FB: Janovich 2. C.J. Zimmerer

WR: Bell 2. The Legend

WR: Enunwa 2. Westercamp

WR:Turner 2. Moore

TE: Jake Long 2. Cotton

LT: Sirles 2. Sterup

LG: Cotton 2. Moudy

C: Pensik 2. Pelini

RG: Long 2. Kondolo

RT: Finnin 2. Qvale

DE: Ankrah 2. Moss

DT: Randle 2. Nickens

DT: Curry/Valentine 2. Collins

DE Gregory 2. McMullen

I see that you have Avery Moss "hangin" in there!

I think we are still speaking about different definitions of proven. It's all good though. When the season starts, everything will get more clear.

Cross "Proved" he was our biggest running back last year. That is all!

Carries give the proof right? What type of carries? If 75% of what he got were short yardage situations where we ran him up the middle...how can he prove anything to you? It's not his fault he didn't get the right type of carries to give you a warm feeling. Look outside the box here a bit and get a better perspective on what was given to him last year.

That's kind of what we're getting at. He can't prove it, and therefore he didn't. If he was more than a situational back he would have been used as such. Last year he wasn't though, and I am not convinced some extra time in the film room will elevate him to that level. It's just an opinion, no one (except maybe you) has portrayed his place on this roster as already determined. I just see one of the freshman leapfrogging him 4-6 games in. Like I said before, a lot of that is going to depend on the line. A bad line can work in Crosses favor - or if our guards are slow and can't pull like in past years...maybe it gives the nod to Newby who can get outside faster. There's a lot more that will go into this decision than Cross staying a little later after practice. Plenty of it is out of his control.

I would like to see our backs averaging about 215-225 like Alabama's though. Especially in the B1G.

I feel the need to say it again. If hard work meant as much as people are acting like it does, we'd have way more walk ons starting. It's a part of the equation. It doesn't mean he's going to keep his spot. Cross has never done anything in the open field to impress me and as the above person said, if he was great at it he would have been used a lot more in non short yardage plays.

• Fire 1

Except that many believe our best pure rb last year was on the bench in Heard, and he didnt get much of an oppurtunity despite looking great every time people saw him.

We stuck with that guy forever, trying to get him on campus. Seems like he could have stuck with us a while longer once he finally got to Lincoln.

I think using the term proven just isn't appropriate do describe Cross. Experienced? Yes. But his time and carries last year didn't really prove anything he can do. We may get a chance to see that this year.

Yeah scoring touchdowns and not fumbling while not complaining about being used as a short down back when you were used to getting toss sweeps over and over again in high school definitely means you've proven nothing.

Okay. So I guess he has proven to be a team player? That means he is a lock for the #2 RB spot? I don't want to argue with you about it. I like Cross as a RB a lot. But my point was that using him sparingly in mop up duty and on a few short yardage 3rd down runs doesn't PROVE anything he can do as a RB if he were suddenly put into the starting role.

Look you have a guy that has been a SITUATIONAL running back...one that the COACHES LIMITED with how they used him. He more than answered the call they gave to him and PROVED that he could do exactly what they wanted him to do. This was on top of splitting reps with Heard.

He stays after practice taking handoffs and catching balls AS A FRESHMAN...getting hundreds more reps per night than any other running back we have.

He spends his spare time in the film room, going over any and every game we've played in the past few years and probably film from the greats we had in the mid nineties (I would if I was him and had access to it)...while other people are eating chow in the lunch room...he's taking a to go box up to the film room for more study.

So, while I think Newby will one day be a great back...I do not see him leapfrogging over a guy that has Cross' ability and his study/work ethic. Cross is the real deal guys...when he is given the chance to run side to side with a 1 cut go type of play, go he will and he'll do it well. He just needs to be given that opportunity instead of short yardage.

I see Cross as the solid number 2...it's his to lose. If he keeps going like he's doing now, there is no way a freshman comes in and jumps him no matter who it is...they'd just be too far behind on learning plays and as a pass protector. Those are the 2 things most high school running backs have to learn and Cross has put the time and effort to learn it...freshman running backs who haven't seen a practice at NU haven't.

Referneces:

http://www.dailynebr...19bb30f31a.html

http://omaha.com/art...SKERS/712219888

http://admin.college....3914/1.2754614

http://www.dailynebr...1a4bcf6878.html

http://www.huskers.c...TCLID=205669945

Since no one else is jumping in on your side I figured i would chime in. Off the top of my head I can't think of an example of a guy who has as much pure ability, intellegence and integrity as Cross combined with a work ethic like that who has failed (obviously not counting things like injury, etc.). Yeah, people are saying that he hasn't proven himself, but 90% of proving yourself has to do with how you go about your business during the week, not gamedays. If there is one player on this team who has proven himself it is Imani Cross. It will pay off. You know who hasn't proven themselves? Any of the true freshman. I like the potential of Taylor and Newby (I'm a big believer in Taylor) as much as anybody else, but i don't think either one of those guys will be hopping Cross, unless he is injured. Those guys will have a learning curve just like about every freshman we have ever had here and Cross has already pushed through that learning curve, and I don't see him letting a couple freshman catch him. And before someone says how Cross is just not fast enough, atheletic enough, blah blah blah go back and watch his sophomore film before he gained all the the muscle. He was much faster and shiftier and a more explosive back. He will have that this year even if it didn't quite show itself in the spring game. He is re-learning how to run optimally at his new weight, which is 15 lbs lighter.

• Fire 2

QB - Martinez - Armstrong

RB - Abdullah - Cross

FB - Zimmerer - Janovich

WR - Bell - Westerkamp

WR - Enunwa - Westerkamp

WR - Turner - Moore

TE - Long - Sutton

LT - Qvale - Sterup

LG - Cotton - Pensick

C - Pensick - Pelini

RG - Long - Pensick

RT - Sirles - Rodriguez

RE - Moss - Gregory

DT - Williams - Curry

DT - Randle - Valentine

LE - Ankrah - McMullen

WLB - Anderson - M. Rose

MLB - Santos - Love

SLB - Afalava - Brown

CB - Mitchell - Jean-Baptiste

FS - H. Jackson - J. Rose

SS - Cooper - C. Jackson

CB - Seisay - Green

I'll add mine.

DE Gregory 2. McMullen

Just curious what your reason for having Davie over SJB, Seisay and Mitchell is?

I'll add mine.

DE Gregory 2. McMullen

Just curious what your reason for having Davie over SJB, Seisay and Mitchell is?

Check again

I'll add mine.

DE Gregory 2. McMullen

Check again

Opps, my bad. Still curious why he is over Seisay and Mitchell?