Projected Starting Line Up

So no one thinks Andrew Rodriguez is going to be involved in the OL rotation?

I suppose he will but I've seen nothing from him so far that indicates he deserves to be. Hopefully other guys will step up.

Is it fair to say that Rodriguez has been a bust so far? I remember when we signed him I thought for sure he was primed to start at least a couple of years for us. He looked like the prototype offensive linemen. Hard to believe it's his senior season already.

I will reserve my judgment on Rodriguez until after this year. Hopefully he surprises everyone and kills it.

On another topic, do you have a link to the concert or whatever it is that you have a GIF of? I really want to hear the music they are playing.

LOL no I don't. I'm not sure I want to hear the music they're playing lol.

I just have to know. It has to be some righteous sh&t

It's great that Cross works hard but some of you are starting to sound like broken records. That is not a reason for him to play. If it was, we'd probably have 10 more walk ons starting. I'm not saying the other reasons for Cross to be #2 aren't good, but the fact that he works hard isn't one unless it actually helps him produce results.

Some people put to much weight into how many stars a recruiting service puts behind them or what they did in high school. There are some prime examples of what hard work can get. Spencer Long was a walk-on & Garrison has stated many times his work ethic's have gotten Long to where he is now.

My bet on Adam Taylor being number two still stands.

If I'm wrong, you'll have to get to a HuskerBoard tailgate to collect.

I just happen to find Newby as a very special talent. He might not always get up field, but his a Reggie Bushesque ability to not get caught in the backfield and make something out of nothing. Not saying he is Reggie, but I think he is a better back than Aaron Green out of high school.

Also, the defense will have to adjust to his speed. Either way, I'm more than happy with this RB class. Newby and Taylor have us covered for the next four years.

I just happen to find Newby as a very special talent. He might not always get up field, but his a Reggie Bushesque ability to not get caught in the backfield and make something out of nothing. Not saying he is Reggie, but I think he is a better back than Aaron Green out of high school.

Also, the defense will have to adjust to his speed. Either way, I'm more than happy with this RB class. Newby and Taylor have us covered for the next four years.

I agree with you and I'm also on record saying I wouldn't trade anybody else's RB class this year for ours.

My thing about Newby is I think he is slightly more reliant on his athleticism moreso than Taylor. He's going to have to get use to everyone being equivalent athletically.

Adam Taylor runs like a college back in high school. He did not run like a high school star while in high school.

Where comes the "WTF" is he talking about...

Taylor ran with a different purpose than most high school backs, his purpose was to punish the tacklers, not run around them. As you progress in football you learn things, things like, the 4 hole means hit the 4 hole, not take one step towards it and then head outside because you are usually faster. In college, everyone is fast and the discipline level changes greatly, just like it does from 9th grade to Varsity ball.

Taylor runs like a mature college player, now. He runs like an Alabama running does. You don't really "teach" it or coach it, the player just has to do it.

Adam Taylor runs like a college back in high school. He did not run like a high school star while in high school.

Where comes the "WTF" is he talking about...

Taylor ran with a different purpose than most high school backs, his purpose was to punish the tacklers, not run around them. As you progress in football you learn things, things like, the 4 hole means hit the 4 hole, not take one step towards it and then head outside because you are usually faster. In college, everyone is fast and the discipline level changes greatly, just like it does from 9th grade to Varsity ball.

Taylor runs like a mature college player, now. He runs like an Alabama running does. You don't really "teach" it or coach it, the player just has to do it.

Good post Teach and that's why I say Newby is going to have a bigger adjustment period. Not that he won't be a great back, but Taylor is really to play.

After watching some highlites of each's high school career so I can educatingly join this conversation, I would like to agree that yes, Newby tends to lean on his incredible, man-amongst-boys, athletic ability in simply outrunning folks to the corner. I see an adjustment phase coming from him similar to what we experienced with the highly touted Marlon Lucky. It took some time for Marlon to develope the necessary vision and stride needed for effective between the tackle running. Adam Taylor just seems like he already gets it and is ready for that step right now.

I agree with you and I'm also on record saying I wouldn't trade anybody else's RB class this year for ours.

My thing about Newby is I think he is slightly more reliant on his athleticism moreso than Taylor. He's going to have to get use to everyone being equivalent athletically.

Don't you think AT relied on his ability to just be more physical than kids, as well? I agree Taylor's game is more of a college game - I just think that while college players are extremely athletic, Newby is even more athletic than a majority of them as well. Another outlandish comparison is DeAnthony Thomas, not saying that he plays like him or anything like that, but DeAnthony Thomas was small, not physical, and purely relied on his speed. It seems to be doing just fine for him. Newby obviously is not DeAnthony Thomas, but I don't think he is as far behind as some people think. He has ELITE speed. He was not outrunning a bunch of chumps all season - he outran some pretty fast kids.

I suppose I agree AT will have a quicker adjustment period, but I don't think Newby's adjustment period will take a season. I think he'll get it figured out before conference play. Big praise on my part, but I just have a weird feeling about him.

(I also had a weird feeling that Braylon Heard would be the best out of AG and Ameer so eh)

It's great that Cross works hard but some of you are starting to sound like broken records. That is not a reason for him to play. If it was, we'd probably have 10 more walk ons starting. I'm not saying the other reasons for Cross to be #2 aren't good, but the fact that he works hard isn't one unless it actually helps him produce results.

Some people put to much weight into how many stars a recruiting service puts behind them or what they did in high school. There are some prime examples of what hard work can get. Spencer Long was a walk-on & Garrison has stated many times his work ethic's have gotten Long to where he is now.

My bet on Adam Taylor being number two still stands.

If I'm wrong, you'll have to get to a HuskerBoard tailgate to collect.

Anymore it is really hard to judge who is second string. I think all four will get touches. I think everyone is in agreement that Abdulah will get the bulk of the carries. Behind him I think it will be more situtional then who is number two. I think Cross will still get the majority of the short yardage carries. I think Taylor will get some reps early & if he shows he can protect the ball will get some more carries during Big Ten play. Newby to me seems like the guy who will get some carries thru the year, but will probably see most of his playing time at KR & PR duties. If he can show the coaches that he can field a punt/kick I think he would be solid back there. It will also take some strain off of the starters who have taken on those duties in the past. We also have some great FB's in Janovich, Morrow & Zimmerman. Beck said last year he wanted to get them more involved in the game & that will take away a few carries from the RB's.

This is a great problem we have at this spot. It doesn't seem like that long ago we had Helu, Burkhead & not much after that.

He's given more reason for us to believe he'll play and play a lot than reasons that he won't. People who "know" that the freshmen who haven't even had an official practice at Nebraska will jump him are a bit too optimistic and unrealistic in my opinion.

I think the people who don't think Our freshmen will play haven't watched film on either freshmen.

• Fire 1

He's given more reason for us to believe he'll play and play a lot than reasons that he won't. People who "know" that the freshmen who haven't even had an official practice at Nebraska will jump him are a bit too optimistic and unrealistic in my opinion.

I think the people who don't think Our freshmen will play haven't watched film on either freshmen.

Or watched a Husker game the last couple of years.

Or watched a Husker game the last couple of years.

yeah, list is long.

Speaking of....

A little off topic, but relative in a way. My son does a reading thing at our public library. He is 5 and when they go through so many books, they get a prize. Yesterday, his prize was an Ahman Green poster in his packers uni. So last night, we were on youtube for an hour watching Ahman Green Husker highlights. My son is obsessed with Husker Football already, and walks around his baseball games and practices like he's playing football saying "Gooooo Biiiiiiiiiiiig Reeeeeeeeeeed". I thought it was rather thrilling to share.

Ahman played as a freshman by the way, so again, not totally out of place.