Projected Starting Line Up

They haven't used Cross correctly since he has been here, why start now. GBR!!!

How would you use him, coach?

Yeah coach, how would you use him? :dunno I love how so many guys want to take a big back and turn him into a FB or H-back as they say, just because he is big. I think you will see cross a lot this year. I am hoping he gets 5-8 carries a game. I don't think on a given day they will go more than 3 deep at RB. Unless Taylor is that good, he is not going to jump Cross. He may be really good I hope he is, but we will see.

Cross averaged 4 carries per game last year and averaged 6 carries in games where he got at least one so 5 wouldn't be much different.

I think Taylor really is that good.

um...yeah.

Cross has the best work ethic on both sides of the ball. He's putting the effort in to win. He's GOING to get the carries for it. He's a proven running back. I love how people think a true freshman who hasn't carried the ball at the college level is just going to jump our #2 back.

tumblr_m8g0juo74B1rv50kuo1_500.jpg

I'll rephrase: Best work ethic of those still playing on the the team.

Every week someone claims such and such has the best work ethic of anyone. Tomorrow it will be someone else. Unless you are in the weight room with him, logging his time in the Hudl system, and following him around to team meeting...you have no clue - just like the rest of us. The only thing we can say is that no one is calling him out for being lazy - which seems to be becoming more and more common w/ this team. So he's got that going for him.

I will bet anyone a beer that Adam Taylor jumps Cross by Mid-Season and is the second option in the backfield.

I'll take that bet...it's very easy. I'm taking proven (cross) over unproven (taylor). It's like taking candy from a baby.

What's Cross exactly proven??

I hope we do that diamond formation this year more. It works every time. Have Taylor Cross AA and either Taylor or Newby back there.

I was curious about this as well (curious enough to create an accout anyway). Adding Taylor and Newby to this formation gives us some really nice options. Last year, we didn't seem to run that formation that often, and I was curious if that was due to Rex getting hurt when he did or Beck moving away from using that formation regularly. Interested in what others have to say about that.

Also, if we used this formation frequently, I see both Newby and Taylor on the field more often.

• Fire 1

tumblr_m8g0juo74B1rv50kuo1_500.jpg

I'll rephrase: Best work ethic of those still playing on the the team.

This is also contrary to your other point. Rex was a true freshman who never carried the ball at the college level that jumped our #2 back. chuckleshuffle

This is what I was referring to.

• Fire 1

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to chime in. I'm a huge Martinez supporter, but there were times where we had the game in hand last season, or we were out of a game where we should have given Kellogg more snaps. Just my opinion.

I agree, but in the same breath, I'm not sure when or how often this would have made sense. We were in a lot of close games last year and spent an abysmal amount of time giving up a couple of scores and then having to make a comeback. We had blowouts in the non-con and against Minnesota, and while I guess Kellogg could have had a few more snaps in those games, I'm not phased that he didn't. There were opportunities for more PT but they weren't a big deal imho.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to chime in. I'm a huge Martinez supporter, but there were times where we had the game in hand last season, or we were out of a game where we should have given Kellogg more snaps. Just my opinion.

I agree, but in the same breath, I'm not sure when or how often this would have made sense. We were in a lot of close games last year and spent an abysmal amount of time giving up a couple of scores and then having to make a comeback. We had blowouts in the non-con and against Minnesota, and while I guess Kellogg could have had a few more snaps in those games, I'm not phased that he didn't. There were opportunities for more PT but they weren't a big deal imho.

Agreed. And it's quite possible that we could have gotten Kellogg all kinds of PT last year and it won't end up making any difference anyway because TA is going to beat him out.

Agreed. And it's quite possible that we could have gotten Kellogg all kinds of PT last year and it won't end up making any difference anyway because TA is going to beat him out.

TA should get a lot of snaps in between the UCLA and Michigan game. I don't care if Kellogg is number 2, you get the future the snaps.

I will bet anyone a beer that Adam Taylor jumps Cross by Mid-Season and is the second option in the backfield.

I'll take that bet...it's very easy. I'm taking proven (cross) over unproven (taylor). It's like taking candy from a baby.

:yeah - which is why I'm not brushing the Heard transfer off like most. I think that is going to bite us in the a$$ if AA goes down. I'd much rather have Heard in there than not have him. I think we're a little thin at RB. Of course I thought that going into last year after Green transfered and was proved wrong there as well. At this point, we can prolly plug about whoever in there and they'll rack up yards.

:yeah - which is why I'm not brushing the Heard transfer off like most. I think that is going to bite us in the a$$ if AA goes down. I'd much rather have Heard in there than not have him. I think we're a little thin at RB. Of course I thought that going into last year after Green transfered and was proved wrong there as well. At this point, we can prolly plug about whoever in there and they'll rack up yards.

I agree, however we do have a history of freshman that come ready to play in Rex and AA.

I will bet anyone a beer that this happens before the end of out of conference play. I got nothing but love for Imani. The tales of his work ethic endeared him to a lot of us on HB. And he hasn't been given a whole lot of touches yet. But I haven't seen anything that says anything more than "situational or short yardage back" when watching Imani. Couple that with what IMO are two of the most talented backs we've seen here in a long time, and I'm buying what EZ is saying. I think AT could be that "franchise" horse we've been looking for since Ahman. I think he may eventually push Ameer for starter carries. Seen this plenty of times before. AA better stay healthy.

Didn't Imani cross as the #3 back and as a true freshman (and a 4 star out of high school) have over 300 yards for the year and average almost 6 per carry? God, that dude sucks eh? I bet he'll get beat out by everyone! :sarcasm

Was not a four star kid. He averaged around 4 touches a game and when the game was on the line he was more or less our short yardage back. I don't see it any different this year. If we want to throw HS ratings out, both Taylor and Newby were ranked well ahead of where Cross was.