Projected Starting Line Up

Honestly lol I had a little brainfart and forgot about Seisay and Mitchell.

CB: SJB 2.Rose

CB: Seisay 2. Mitchell/Green

I'll be interested to see how this shakes out. I was looking for big things from Seisay last year. I know he was hurt early but not much materialized. I think Mitchell gets one spot with SJB/Seisay/Rose on the other side.

I'll be interested to see how this shakes out. I was looking for big things from Seisay last year. I know he was hurt early but not much materialized. I think Mitchell gets one spot with SJB/Seisay/Rose on the other side.

After the spring game, Bo made it pretty clear Mitchell and Seisay were separating themselves from everyone else.. That would probably be our best guess right now, but a lot can change between now and the first game.

Regarding Imani Cross... there is debate about what he has proven (or not proven) himself in this thread. That is not an unreasonable debate and there will be people on both sides of that one. However, regarding Cross, I'd think nearly all of us can agree that we have seen enough of him to know that he has some real value to the Huskers (already), that he will contribute (perhaps a great deal or perhaps only modestly --- but he will contribute in the future), is a great team player and a bright, articulate young man (great interviews). Where he'll line up against the newer guys and exactly how he will be utilized is unclear... but I am --- and I think we all are --- glad he is a Husker.

And it is great to have Abdullah and the two new guys too. The RB scene at NU is pretty golden. What is as well great is that the attributes of each of these four guys are different from one another (perhaps Abdullah and Newby are somewhat similar). That is, we have the big thumper (Cross), the little shifty, elusive, tough guy (Abdullah), the little fast guy (Newby) and the mid/semi-big-sized guy with positive attributes in every area (Taylor --- not as big and tough as Cross, but big --- not as shifty as Abdullah, but shifty --- not as fast as Newby, but fast still --- a little of everything kind of guy). With that many RB's and with that diversity of skills... the NU RB situation is in great shape.

• Fire 5

Why has everyone written off Green? (honest question, did I miss something?) Seisay may have a ton of potential...but was slowed with injury last year. He's still relatively fresh to the system, whereas Green comes in with 22 starts and 2-3 years of playing time under him. Keep in mind Green had to sit out spring, so a lot of the coach speak around Seisay/Mitchel was primarily because they got their chance while he was out. Assuming he's healthy, just can't see anyone jumping Green. Especially not both SJB and Seisay. Green should get one of those CB spots.

And no Evans when he was just named a captain?

Why has everyone written off Green? Seisay may have a ton of potential...but was slowed with injury last year. He's still relatively fresh to the system, whereas Green comes in with 22 starts and 2-3 years of playing time under him. Keep in mind Green had to sit out spring, so a lot of the coach speak around Seisay/Mitchel was primarily because they got their chance while he was out. Assuming he's healthy, just can't see anyone jumping Green. Especially not both SJB and Seisay. Green should get one of those CB spots.

They will all see multiple snaps a game. I think it is more of a x OR z situation.

Why has everyone written off Green? (honest question, did I miss something?) Seisay may have a ton of potential...but was slowed with injury last year. He's still relatively fresh to the system, whereas Green comes in with 22 starts and 2-3 years of playing time under him. Keep in mind Green had to sit out spring, so a lot of the coach speak around Seisay/Mitchel was primarily because they got their chance while he was out. Assuming he's healthy, just can't see anyone jumping Green. Especially not both SJB and Seisay. Green should get one of those CB spots.

And no Evans when he was just named a captain?

I wouldn't say I've written him off, I'm positive he'll contribute. But when Bo says Mitchell and Seisay have separated themselves from the pack, I tend to believe him. I'm thinking they really made an impression on him for him to divulge that kind of info, since usually he just dances around that kind of question. So if I had to bet, my money would be on those two guys taking the first team snaps at the beginning of the season. Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, though.

Excellent write-up. My thoughts:

For as much as I think he's a beast, I'm going to have to agree that Cross ends up #4 on the depth chart. Will still get some work but is a little too much of a one trick pony to hold off the athletes that will be on campus shortly.

What is Allen's status as far as recovering from his injury?

I think the OLine starters will be at worst solid and hopefully very good. It will be interesting to see how the next set gets worked into the mix.

One nit-pick: I'm assuming that the same T. Brown is listed twice at LB. I see four LBs that I'm very excited about and two more that have very good potential as well.

How about moving Cross to FB or LB? I know LB is just a dream, but I would like to see it.

I agree that that happens, but we are in a deep hole if someone does not get quality time this year. Taylor has ran the show for 4 years, with hardly anyone getting game time snaps that mean a thing.

We bitched and bitched about how bad he was, but it was the same thing. Never taken a snap. I would agree if we were a drop back passing team, but we are not. These young kids need to get their feet wet. It is the same on both sides of the ball. Tell me you would not feel better about our defense this year if some of those that red shirted had played last year.

I am afraid we are going to be on the Hypsman run if Taylor plays like I think he can this year. Armstrong will never see the field. It is time to learn from mistakes, play the young kids, get their feet wet. Don't throw them to the wolves.

I agree, the backup QB needs to get some experience this year.

Regarding the running back position, I think people need to keep in mind there's a finite number of carries available every game, and your best player is going to get the overwhelming majority. While yes, we could have used Cross or any of the other young backs more, there was no other back last year (outside of Burkhead) that I would have wanted carrying the ball over Abdullah. The same will apply this year. It's important to get the other backs carries, but if they get five carries one game and then go silent for five straight games, it's not worth getting worried about. We spent a significant portion of last year fighting a deficit and needing to make up a lot of scores, and that situation lends itself to better/more experienced players. Just something to keep in mind.

In terms of the backup QB needing to see more time, it is what it is what it is. We're really not handling the quarterback situation now any differently than the last several decades. It just so happens that we got our back-ups a lot of playing time in the past because we had great teams, with a top-notch coaching staff/system and often a hefty lead to mess around with. But, when games were close, would you have ever seen Frazier pulled? Tagge pulled? Gill pulled? No. From my perceptions, it's no different than it is now. We're not in a position to let our back-up QB comfortably come into the game early on and run a series or two. We're just not good enough to do something like that. Armstrong riding the bench and only seeing mop-up duty has no affect on me whatsoever.

I am very concerned about the DL. Almost all of them missed the spring game because of injury.

Thad Randle is as healthy as he's ever been, VV and GM are fine injury-wise.

Randle was doing solid work before he got all banged-up last season. Hoping we can get him out of there a fair amount in the games before UCLA and the several between UCLA and NW. If can keep him healthy for the reps that really count while getting younger guys up to speed it will help a lot.

Excited to see what GM can do, Gregory too for that matter. We need to replace Martin's pass-rush presence. GM was supposedly looking pretty salty later in Spring camp.

I wouldn't say I've written him off, I'm positive he'll contribute. But when Bo says Mitchell and Seisay have separated themselves from the pack, I tend to believe him. I'm thinking they really made an impression on him for him to divulge that kind of info, since usually he just dances around that kind of question. So if I had to bet, my money would be on those two guys taking the first team snaps at the beginning of the season. Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, though.

...separated themselves from a pack that didn't include Green because of the injury. Regardless, this is a great position to be in because I always thought Green was a solid CB. Not at Dennard/Prince level but still one of the top in the league. Evans as well. Throw in 2 others that are that their level and we'll be pretty dominant yet again.