Phil Steele's 2013 Nebraska Preview

Ranks us #16 and picks us to win the division.

http://philsteele.co.../16Nebraska.pdf

Bell ret's and the staff thinks that TE Jake Long could be an NFL prospect, so I'll call this the best Husker receiving corps in years.
Pelini said he was confident with 5 T's and 6 G's. With such good depth, this figures to be the best Husker O-line s/'02.
Despite having to replace their top players, I cannot imagine them being as bad statistically in '13 as they add 2 VHT rFr and a PS#5JC.
NU had 3 net close wins LY but on the positive side they were -12 in TO's, had -2 net upsets and their +119.1 ypg was best in the B10. NU's schedule also gets easier as OSU and Wisc drop off and are replaced by Purdue and Illinois. NU has a great shot at getting back to the Big Ten Title game.

He has McMullen starting over Gregory and Gregory still at 230 lbs.

I think Gregory starts, and it has been said that he is up to 255 lbs. (Fingers crossed about his classes).

I agree. I stated something about this in a post in someone's comment. McMullen is suppose to be a "hybrid" player for us, while getting snaps at DT if we lack depth there. I don't think the talent level is very far apart from Gregory and McMullen. We shall see when they take snaps, but McMullen is a guy who can start for us, I just think that Gregory is slightly faster and quicker on his feet.

Despite having to replace their top players, I cannot imagine them being as bad statistically in '13 as they add 2 VHT rFr and a PS#5JC.

This pretty well decides whether we're top 10 or barely cracking the top 25. When your entire defense outlook can be summed up by "they can't be as bad as last year" - it's a little concerning. Hopefully we see a 2008ish type turnaround. That defense w/ this offense wins 11 games on this schedule.

• Fire 2