NBA Draft Thread

So I have to admit, I'm not all that invested in the NBA Draft, but I think it's worth talking about.

Does anyone else think it's a joke that Nerlens Noel is being talked about as a potential #1 pick? IMO, Oladipo is the best player in the draft, but it just doesn't seem like there's a player that could become something special.

I really don't watch much college basketball, but this year and last year, there hasn't been a Kevin Durant, a Blake Griffin, or even a guy with huge upside like a Greg Oden.

So does that say something about the culture of this generation that's coming into the league, or is it just a down couple of years? Or am I not seeing it right?

It's sounding more and more like Alex Len may go #1, this is such a weak draft class. But, I agree with you, Oladipo is the best player in this draft.

That one really blows my mind. I was not real impressed with Len, ever.

Teams are always looking for the next great big man so it is no surprise that Noel would be #1 even though he really didn't do much in his one year at Kentucky. He would have been #1 if he would have been allowed to go pro out of HS.

If teams want Noel to be a "big man" they will have to pack about 50 pounds on him as he matures. I see Noel as more of a Kevin Durant. Develop his shot from outside if he can't already and see where that takes you.

Teams are always looking for the next great big man so it is no surprise that Noel would be #1 even though he really didn't do much in his one year at Kentucky. He would have been #1 if he would have been allowed to go pro out of HS.

If teams want Noel to be a "big man" they will have to pack about 50 pounds on him as he matures. I see Noel as more of a Kevin Durant. Develop his shot from outside if he can't already and see where that takes you.

Kevin Garnett weighed under 200 lbs at 6-11 when he was drafted. They can build these kids up. He is a natural shot blocker and post player. I don't see them trying to get him to shoot 3's. But it's the NBA and I have stopped trying to figure out what they do.

On another topic, Miami should put Bosh out as trade bait to a lottery team and see if they can steal a big man with better shooting.

Case in point: Alex Len is projected by some to be the No. 1 pick in Thursday's draft.

The former Maryland big man is one of the 10 players invited to the "green room," where top prospects hang with their families and agents and stare nervously at their cell phonesicon1.png until their name is called and the serial bro-hugging can begin. And the Cleveland Cavaliers, who own the top pick, are reported to be ga-ga over Len.

To which I say: Are you kidding me?

Alex Len? The top pick in the whole draft? Please.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-06-23/sports/bs-sp-cowherd-terps-0624-20130623_1_alex-len-top-pick-nba-scouts

Alex Len was pretty good.

He torched my Blue Devils, and another first-rounder, Plumlee.

The Draft is about teams addressing their needs. Cleveland has some great young guards, so Oladipo/McLemore/Burke are out of the picture. They want a solid inside presence, a back to the basket guy that can enforce and occasionally step out. Nerlens Noel isn't that guy. Len has 2" and 40 lbs on him. He had pretty comparable numbers in a better conference.

Noel looks like a potentially elite shot blocker. I just see 2 problems: 1) knee injury issues. How serious? Who knows. and 2) size. He's really skinny, and doesn't look like he has the frame to support much more weight. He will get pushed around and abused when he plays a team with a quality post presence like Indiana, Memphis, or San Antonio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFZ_iNgRDY

This guy, on the other hand, looks like a stud. And once again, with all the talk about his work ethic off the court, I'd take him in a heartbeat. People today are saying he might be the next D Wade. We will see about that one, but he looks a lot better with a higher upside than Noel. The only problem is the Cavs need a post.

The only problem is the Cavs need a post.

Not only that, they already have a great young backcourt with Kyrie and Dion Waiters.

Cavs are pretty set at the guard spot for a while with kyrie and waiters. What makes this pick interesting is that the Cavs have drafter Tyler Zeller and Tristan Thompson the last couple years. Also Varajeo was having by far his best year ever before he got injured. Will be interesting to see who goes #1 as Len is very comparable to Zeller with Zeller being more athletic by far. Noel may be the pick based on upside alone. Kid is very raw