A monument to atheism

STARKE, Fla. (AP) — A group of atheists unveiled a monument to their nonbelief in God on Saturday to sit alongside a granite slab that lists the Ten Commandments in front of the Bradford County courthouse.

As a small group of protesters blasted Christian country music and waved "Honk for Jesus" signs, the atheists celebrated what they believe is the first atheist monument allowed on government property in the United States.

"When you look at this monument, the first thing you will notice is that it has a function. Atheists are about the real and the physical, so we selected to place this monument in the form of a bench," said David Silverman, president of American Atheists.

It also serves another function — a counter to the religious monument that the New Jersey-based group wanted removed. It's a case of if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

More here... http://news.yahoo.com/atheists-unveil-fla-monument-near-ten-commandments-195201537.html

Eric Hovind was in attendance at the "rally" and was his usual idiotic self.

If you don't know who Hovind is, just do a You Tube search. But be fore warned... the guy is completely stupid.

So the people who dont believe in anything put up a monument to honor what they dont believe in? Isnt that a little hypocritical?? Because now they have a bench to honor and believe in. But if truly athiests then they wont mind if i take it and throw it in a lake right?

So the people who dont believe in anything put up a monument to honor what they dont believe in? Isnt that a little hypocritical?? Because now they have a bench to honor and believe in. But if truly athiests then they wont mind if i take it and throw it in a lake right?

Athiest literally means "without gods". I'm not sure what you mean by putting up a monument to honor what they don't believe in. An atheist can believe in many things, they just don't believe in a deity.

Regardless, the point of the monument is clearly to rankle Christians who insist on putting their religious symbols in public spaces, and it quite obviously achieved it's goal.

I don't know why you'd consider a monument to a certain demographic hypocritical. Atheists do not "believe" in any bench, no more than a christian would believe in a granite slab.

Regardless, the point of the monument is clearly to rankle Christians who insist on putting their religious symbols in public spaces, and it quite obviously achieved it's goal.

I don't think that's the point. I think it's to promote atheism.

I don't know why you'd consider a monument to a certain demographic hypocritical. Atheists do not "believe" in any bench, no more than a christian would believe in a granite slab.

I don't think that's the point. I think it's to promote atheism.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I like this! And would like to see more!! Instead of stifling Christianity discussions under the guise of separation of church/state, they should just offer to give equal voice to those who oppose Christianity. Perhaps, as they are sitting on their granite bench memorial they'll have a clear view of the ten commandments. It's a win-win!

• Fire 1

Athiest literally means "without gods". I'm not sure what you mean by putting up a monument to honor what they don't believe in. An atheist can believe in many things, they just don't believe in a deity.

Really? That's the point i'm making. I'm making fun of them for putting so much thought into putting something up to compete with the commandments that they can basically point to and say "we believe in that bench." It just seems hypocritical for people who dont believe in higher powers to care so much about those that do.

• Fire 2

So, let me get this straight, atheists put a bench (monument) right next to a granite slab Ten Commandments (monument).???? So, hypothetically they put this useful bench in a location that Christians could use while taking a break from visiting the Christian monument. I guess I don't know what to say..........thanks. What's next? The atheists going to start selling Bibles to raise more money for benches?

• Fire 1

Really? That's the point i'm making. I'm making fun of them for putting so much thought into putting something up to compete with the commandments that they can basically point to and say "we believe in that bench." It just seems hypocritical for people who dont believe in higher powers to care so much about those that do.

It's not that atheists care if you believe in a higher power, I for one could not care less. But I don't agree with the religious endorsements by the government, which is what a statue of the 10 commandments in public space is. Such things are violations of the first amendment. Now so long as any religion can put their "shrine" in the same space, we have no problems, which is entirely the point of the bench.

• Fire 1

As far as the 10 commandments were put on the court house they don't represent what a lot of Christians think. They are there cause they represent law and order not cause of religious aspect. Hard to find laws not based on religion. So now atheism is now benches? ;)

As far as the 10 commandments were put on the court house they don't represent what a lot of Christians think. They are there cause they represent law and order not cause of religious aspect. Hard to find laws not based on religion. So now atheism is now benches? ;)

What about 1, 2, 3, and 4?

I think the meatball spaghetti thingie would have been a better choice; with parmesan of course :/

After all, believing in nothing is something.

I do consider myself a devout pastafarian. He boiled for your sins.

I, too, have been touched by his noodley appendage.

• Fire 1