A monument to atheism

like i said religion made laws and hard to find laws without any religious meaning to them, for their time.

Your argument is a fairly simple mistake in logic. That is, the lack of a non-religious ancient civilization with laws does not prove that the presence of religion leads to laws. First of all, pagan religions in ancient Mesopotamian, Greek, and Italian civilizations had a much different role in society than the Judeo-Christian religion. Second, even advanced philosophers such as Aristotle had a rudimentary scientific understanding of the world (by our standards of knowledge), so there was no hope of the masses embracing reason over religious and mystic explanations for the daily occurrences of life.

A far better explanation is that civilization itself produces laws and understanding of morality, not the presence of region. Virtually of that in western civilization is derived from the Greeks. Christian teachings didn't materialize out of thin air either. Early church figures, such as St. Augustine, were greatly impacted by Neoplatonism as the church cannon and such took shape.

yes early church fathers were influenced by Greek philosophers but only as so much to make their point. Religion is order and morality which makes those laws.

The much better and more pertinent question is; How is it a violation of the first amendment? It doesn't matter if the 10 Commandments are representative of 1, 2, or 100 religions. The only time it would be a problem is if some entity decreed that Religion #A can have access to public space but Religion #B cannot. The mere fact that other religions do not place their items in public has no bearing on it. Seems you are a little rankled to be subjected to Christian things in a predominately Christian country so you want to call it some sort of violation. The atheists put their bench/monument in a public space and I am happy for them. They, and any other group/religion can do this all they want and it won't bother me a bit. Why does it bother you when it happens to be the Ten Commandments?

Yep, that's the point of the atheist monument. You can't stop them if you want the 10 commandments in the same location. It doesn't bother me if it is the 10 commandments or passages from the Koran. I really could not care less what religion it is, there should be no mixing of government and religion like this. But the "defenders of the Constitution" on the right LOVE to invent instances about their religious freedom being trampled on, so I do enjoy seeing people challenge the religious establishment. (Man, can you imagine the uproar if they tried to put a Muslim statue up? I might have to try it for funsies.)

If I met that guy in person I'd have a hard time not punching him in the face.

Why? He makes a several excellent points.

And turns them into sweeping generalizations and accusations against a large, broad and diverse people group.

All I really got from this is that he doesn't understand or believe the gospel that his occupation is supposed to uphold. He is the system he is criticizing.

And turns them into sweeping generalizations and accusations against a large, broad and diverse people group.

All I really got from this is that he doesn't understand or believe the gospel that his occupation is supposed to uphold. He is the system he is criticizing.

And as the good christian you are, you want to punch him in the face.

• Fire 1

And as the good christian you are, you want to punch him in the face.

I'm a Christian; that doesn't mean I'm good. I'm just as wicked as anyone else and saved by grace alone. Yeah, I want to punch him in the face, and yeah, that's not alright and that needs to result in confession and repentance.