A monument to atheism

Sorry JJ, I'd venture to say that many of the atheists who comment in this forum have a very strong grasp of the Christian religion. Perhaps stronger than a good many self-proclaimed Christians.

I didn't say the atheists who comment here didn't have a grasp of the religion. I also would not disagree that a good many atheists grasp it better than many self proclaimed Christians do. Grasping it and/or understanding what it means to be Christian is quite different from actually being one, believing it, and practicing it. My point was that this "high priest", or whatever moniker he chooses to go by, apparently does not believe in the basic tenets of the religion, has got some things screwed up along the way, and if he is preaching this BS to his congregation, is leading people astray from the real message of Christianity. So, no need to say "Sorry JJ" because your subsequent comments were addressing a purported claim that I never made.

Landlord- just my two cents but I'm not sure I get your being upset with this jackass. He is no more a priest than I am. He is not a Christian and his "church" bears no resemblance to any viable Christian denomination. He is simply some self enlightened blow hard that likes to wear a collar. He bothers me no more than any other atheist attacking Christianity. About the worst thing you can say about him is that he might be leading some people astray and away from Christ and God. That's not good but it differs little from about half the people who regularly comment in this forum. I think you're giving him way more authority and relevance than he deserves. My dog has a better understanding of Christianity than this douche.

You might be right. I haven't actually looked into who he is, I just was under the assumption that he serves under the Catholic church.

Come on Landlord, give us at least a little credit. You assumed he serves under the Catholic Church? Why, because his title in the video was "high priest"? I can categorically state that the crap this guy was spewing is not indicative of the Catholic faith in any way, shape, or form. I haven't researched who he is either but, if he does in fact happen to be some rogue, run off the tracks, Catholic priest, he won't be for very long. The hierarchy of the church might screw up and protect some guys when they shouldn't (we all know what I'm talking about) but they won't put up with this sh#t for one second after they find out about it.

Every denomination has their whack jobs who don't get it and do more damage than good. However, I think you need to better understand Catholicism before you go attributing such a harsh view of it. Sure, there might be some very minor differences of some specifics between Catholics and some Christians in general but, we are on the same team whether you like it or want to admit it or not.

Every denomination has their whack jobs who don't get it and do more damage than good. However, I think you need to better understand Catholicism before you go attributing such a harsh view of it. Sure, there might be some very minor differences of some specifics between Catholics and some Christians in general but, we are on the same team whether you like it or want to admit it or not.

I have my criticisms of the Catholic church, but I'm not attributing this guys' left-field notions to the church. I'm no expert, but I do understand Catholicism, and do understand and am glad that we bat for the same team.

Let me analogize this for you because I really don't it's that hard to make sense of. It's like if some other school's fans came posting on our board when we joined the B1G, and one of our mods started explaining the Nebraska culture to them. They explain how Tom Osborne was a win-at-all-costs coach that kept criminals on the team just to have on-the-field success, how Bo Pelini is a raging mindless maniac that doesn't have control of his team, how they can't wait for everyone to leave crying when we beat them all by three touchdowns and dominate our new pathetic conference, etc.

First, you probably wouldn't want to claim him for our side. I've actually seen this happen dozens of times where Husker fans feel the need to apologize on behalf of others saying "that's not what we're actually about." Further, you'd probably be pissed at how he's representing you and everyone else.

The house makes the rules. You're free to live in the house, but if you do you live by the rules. If you don't want to live by them, fine, you're allowed to do that, but not inside the house.

Wow really Mister, then what happened?

This "force your beliefs down people's throats" argument is really absurd. Who here has ever been forced to listen to or read anything that I say? Anyone? I don't know of a single person who has ever cornered somebody in an alleyway not letting them go until they heard the good news of the gospel so I really have no idea where you're getting that idea from. I'll defend my beliefs, I'll support my beliefs I'll even be eager to share them. Because I live in a free country and even if I didn't, because Jesus has commanded me to. I won't force them on anyone, nor have I ever. This isn't the middle ages.

You wanted to punch a guy who said something you didn't agree with. So since he didn't see christianity the same way you do, you're going to kick his ass. Now that is some logic we can all agree with...

• Fire 1

is it really that uncommon for christians of different, or even the same, denomination to disagree with another? seems like even parishes have a lot of differences and the church has definitely disagreed with itself over time. it seems silly to get worked up because someone views their faith differently than you view yours.

You wanted to punch a guy who said something you didn't agree with. So since he didn't see christianity the same way you do, you're going to kick his ass. Now that is some logic we can all agree with...

I'm not a good man. I've only received a good man's pay. Have you really never had unjustified and illogical anger towards people? I'm not excusing my frustration and anger; it's not logical or right. It's wrong. What point are you trying to make? That I'm no better or maybe even worse than you? That I'm a hypocrite? Agreed on all accounts and then some.

is it really that uncommon for christians of different, or even the same, denomination to disagree with another? seems like even parishes have a lot of differences and the church has definitely disagreed with itself over time. it seems silly to get worked up because someone views their faith differently than you view yours.

I've addressed this.

but the pillars of the faith have always remained the same and been held to:

* Scripture being the inspired word of God

* Sinful condition of humanity, which necessitates:

* Jesus' sinless life, death and resurrection in our place

* Salvation by faith in the work and person of Jesus

So the people who dont believe in anything put up a monument to honor what they dont believe in? Isnt that a little hypocritical?? Because now they have a bench to honor and believe in. But if truly athiests then they wont mind if i take it and throw it in a lake right?

I don't know why you'd consider a monument to a certain demographic hypocritical. Atheists do not "believe" in any bench, no more than a christian would believe in a granite slab.

Regardless, the point of the monument is clearly to rankle Christians who insist on putting their religious symbols in public spaces, and it quite obviously achieved it's goal.

I don't think that's the point. I think it's to promote atheism.

There's no reason it can't be both. Promoting something is often done by attacking something else

I'm not a good man. I've only received a good man's pay. Have you really never had unjustified and illogical anger towards people? I'm not excusing my frustration and anger; it's not logical or right. It's wrong. What point are you trying to make? That I'm no better or maybe even worse than you? That I'm a hypocrite? Agreed on all accounts and then some.

Then you should probably go out and get yourself some jesus...

heard he helps with this kinda thing...

C'mon guys. Lots of people acting like this comment is way beneath them when we all know better. Landlord didn't threaten the guy or even say he would do something. All he said was he would have a hard time not punching him. That indicates he knows better and wouldn't act on the urge. Hell, I have that exact same thing happen almost everyday in traffic. I don't blame the douchey priest guy for his opinions or the way he feels. The problem is he is supposedly a Christian church leader and his words are far from fulfilling that role. It's somewhat understandable that his comments would draw the ire of Christians who are tired of wishy washy bad examples of their faith.

C'mon guys. Lots of people acting like this comment is way beneath them when we all know better. Landlord didn't threaten the guy or even say he would do something. All he said was he would have a hard time not punching him. That indicates he knows better and wouldn't act on the urge. Hell, I have that exact same thing happen almost everyday in traffic. I don't blame the douchey priest guy for his opinions or the way he feels. The problem is he is supposedly a Christian church leader and his words are far from fulfilling that role. It's somewhat understandable that his comments would draw the ire of Christians who are tired of wishy washy bad examples of their faith.

How is he a "wishy washy bad example" of your faith by saying that Hell is a concept invented by the Church? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the modern concept of Hell that most Christians know isn't in the Bible.

Landlord- just my two cents but I'm not sure I get your being upset with this jackass. He is no more a priest than I am. He is not a Christian and his "church" bears no resemblance to any viable Christian denomination. He is simply some self enlightened blow hard that likes to wear a collar. He bothers me no more than any other atheist attacking Christianity. About the worst thing you can say about him is that he might be leading some people astray and away from Christ and God. That's not good but it differs little from about half the people who regularly comment in this forum. I think you're giving him way more authority and relevance than he deserves. My dog has a better understanding of Christianity than this douche.

You might be right. I haven't actually looked into who he is, I just was under the assumption that he serves under the Catholic church.

Come on Landlord, give us at least a little credit. You assumed he serves under the Catholic Church? Why, because his title in the video was "high priest"? I can categorically state that the crap this guy was spewing is not indicative of the Catholic faith in any way, shape, or form. I haven't researched who he is either but, if he does in fact happen to be some rogue, run off the tracks, Catholic priest, he won't be for very long. The hierarchy of the church might screw up and protect some guys when they shouldn't (we all know what I'm talking about) but they won't put up with this sh#t for one second after they find out about it.

So, a collection/abundance of priest ruining the lives of small children in unspeakable ways can be swept under the rug, but one man making claims that go against the views of the Catholic church is unacceptable, even for "one second"? That's one hell of a moral spectrum..... (If this guy is in fact affiliated with the Catholic church).....

• Fire 1

How is he a "wishy washy bad example" of your faith by saying that Hell is a concept invented by the Church? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the modern concept of Hell that most Christians know isn't in the Bible.

You're wrong....

• Fire 1