Phil Steele Predicts a NEB vs. Oregon Rose Bowl Game

"NU bowl prediction: Rose Bowl vs. Oregon. Steele predicts Ohio State will win the Big Ten title and play for the national title."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130629/HUSKERS/706299871-

Per McKewon's article of summarizing CFB's preseason predictions, he makes note of the notables of each CFB magazine. Phil Steele usually thinks highly of the Huskers. He thinks NEB will pass up MICH and head to the BIG10 championship to square off against Ohio St. NEB slips and Ohio St. goes to the natty title game. What do ya guys think?

Does the Rose Bowl have to take the second place B1G team if we have someone in the national title game? Or do they just get first pick?

Conference championship game losers don't really have much history of making BCS games, if any.

I dont think they have too, but I bet in this case they would. Anything to get our dollars one would think. But I dont exactly know how all that stuff works either.

Does the Rose Bowl have to take the second place B1G team if we have someone in the national title game? Or do they just get first pick?

Conference championship game losers don't really have much history of making BCS games, if any.

Not sure on the rule of "having" to or not, but the Rose Bowl is actually run by the B1G and Pac-12, much like the new SEC/Big 12 bowl game will be run by those two conferences. So whether or not they "have" to there is no way the Rose Bowl does not pick up a B1G and Pac 12 team if it can. This is one of the reasons the Rose Bowl gave a big stink about the BCS to begin with and all the changes that have happened (e.g., letting the mid tier programs play in the game), because it is one of the few bowl games run by the conferences that have a tie in to it--if it were only up to the Rose Bowl, the only teams that would ever play in the game would be B1G v. Pac 12.

**Edit: was trying to track down the rules for selection process. You can see in here how the Rose Bowl would get first pick and if they were to lose both tie-ins the game would get the first two selections. I can't remember what the special rule was that the Rose Bowl got, but in the last paragraph you can see the compromise that the Bowl made (because they allowed a Non-AQ to play in the game they got some special consideration, but I can't remember what it was--something to do with keeping a Pac 12 and B1G team in the game if they can)

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

Team selection procedures

The bowls will select their participants from two pools: (1) automatic qualifiers, all of which must be selected, and, (2) at-large teams, if fewer than 10 teams qualify automatically. The following sequence will be used when establishing pairings:

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will be placed in the National Championship Game ("NCG").

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl

Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl

Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl

Pac-12 Conference-Rose Bowl

Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-12 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl.

I think we play vs OSU with a natty berth on the line for both teams.

haha, last season (and the last 10 years) is such a distant memory for some of you. must be nice to have bar refaeli serving you beer and prime rib, while kate upton pillow fights mila kunis across the room every night. how is utopia for those of us back here on earth?

• Fire 2

Not sure on the rule of "having" to or not, but the Rose Bowl is actually run by the B1G and Pac-12, much like the new SEC/Big 12 bowl game will be run by those two conferences. So whether or not they "have" to there is no way the Rose Bowl does not pick up a B1G and Pac 12 team if it can. This is one of the reasons the Rose Bowl gave a big stink about the BCS to begin with and all the changes that have happened (e.g., letting the mid tier programs play in the game), because it is one of the few bowl games run by the conferences that have a tie in to it--if it were only up to the Rose Bowl, the only teams that would ever play in the game would be B1G v. Pac 12.

The point I'm making isn't that it would still be a B1G/Pac 12 matchup, but that if we lost the conference championship game we likely wouldn't be selected. The loser of the championship game usually if not always gets leapfrogged by the runner up from their division. It happened to us in 2006, Missouri in 2007 and 2008, Michigan State in 2011 and so on.

haha, last season (and the last 10 years) is such a distant memory for some of you. must be nice to have bar refaeli serving you beer and prime rib, while kate upton pillow fights mila kunis across the room every night. how is utopia for those of us back here on earth?

All of that just sounds wonderful.

Wait.......Is this a real place? And can I get a T-bone instead of prime rib? Thanks for any answers you can provide.

• Fire 1

The point I'm making isn't that it would still be a B1G/Pac 12 matchup, but that if we lost the conference championship game we likely wouldn't be selected. The loser of the championship game usually if not always gets leapfrogged by the runner up from their division. It happened to us in 2006, Missouri in 2007 and 2008, Michigan State in 2011 and so on.

I understand what you are saying. The reply is, if the Rose Bowl can, it will replace a B1G team with another B1G team. The way the Rose Bowl can is if the B1G champion goes to the Title game and there is a B1G team that qualifies for an at-large position (i.e., top 14 BCS ranking). So again, I don't know if they have to, but they will every time if they can (the same goes for the Pac 12 runner up), because in part of who runs the game.

*Edit, sorry, I typed all that out and then read your post again (so I did not understand what you were saying after all--had a one track mind going on there). I would be amazed if that happened to Nebraska, unless Michigan is super close to you guys.

All of that just sounds wonderful.

Where do I sign up?

• Fire 1

Wait.......Is this a real place? And can I get a T-bone instead of prime rib? Thanks for any answers you can provide.

No TBone for you, get your own utopia...goes something like this...

1) Bar cooks for you...

bar_refaeli.jpg

2) Kate Upton waits patiently...

kate-upton-bikini-600x447.jpg

3) And Mila eventually gets tired of Upton looking pretty...

SNN2419SLUG---_1660138a.jpg

• Fire 1