How do you think the game will be called on the defensive side this year

The point of argument many Nebraska fans make is that while everything you say is true, our lineman don't actually go after the quarterback. They engage their offensive counterpart, get to their position, and then they just sit and wait. How many times over the last two years have we seen quarterbacks with upwards of 7, 8, even nine seconds just standing in the pocket and our lineman aren't actually trying to get to them?

Your answer to my post is that our linemen don't go after the quarterback???? While playing college football??? Wow.

tommy-boy-facepalm-o.gif

Dont read it so literal Dev. You know what he means. And frankly, it really cant be argued with. There's numerous instances where the dline is taking a completely and exclusive containment approach to a rush. And it's not just last year. This dates all the way back to Bo's first year. See Virginia Tech, 2009 edition.

Check out a play against Michigan in the 1st quarter last year. Dennard Robinson held the ball in the pocket for what I bet is 10 seconds.

The point of argument many Nebraska fans make is that while everything you say is true, our lineman don't actually go after the quarterback. They engage their offensive counterpart, get to their position, and then they just sit and wait. How many times over the last two years have we seen quarterbacks with upwards of 7, 8, even nine seconds just standing in the pocket and our lineman aren't actually trying to get to them?

Your answer to my post is that our linemen don't go after the quarterback???? While playing college football??? Wow.

tommy-boy-facepalm-o.gif

Okay I guess you need proof.

atch 4:34 of this video:

tommy-boy-facepalm-o.gif

Okay I guess you need proof.

atch 4:34 of this video:

Well i was wrong. it wasnt 10 seconds. it was 8, to the point where he actually decided to run.

The thing is, I understand the means to the madness. Dennard Robinson was a turnover machine with erratic, if not bad, passing ability. Obviously Bo would rather hold him in the pocket and force him to throw (his weakness) as opposed to putting the pressure on, him gettin loose and going for god knows what.

that's called a prevent dude. Watch the defensive end at the top of your screen...he doesn't rush ON PURPOSE. Not sure how a defensive lineman is supposed to take on shoelace in a 4 down lineman vs 6 blockers....I think you're asking a bit much of any line without J. Clowney in it

Oh. Well now that we've established that my original point is correct, and we were purposefully not going after the quarterback...

that's called a prevent dude. Watch the defensive end at the top of your screen...he doesn't rush ON PURPOSE. Not sure how a defensive lineman is supposed to take on shoelace in a 4 down lineman vs 6 blockers....I think you're asking a bit much of any line without J. Clowney in it

Oh. Well now that we've established that my original point is correct, and we were purposefully not going after the quarterback...

Its right, some times you really don't. If you want something you might be able to compare it to, think of a basketball team that has a bunch of slashers but no 3 point shooters, you play off of them, you invite them to shoot. If they got how and hit 8 out of 12, you live with it.

So we're ALWAYS in a prevent is your theory eh? That's what a 2 gap is?

I'm no coach and I'm no football expert. I just know that it's an incredibly common sight seeing our linemen engage their blockers and sit there waiting, not actively pursuing the quarterback. It happens often.

Also calling it a prevent seems weird and doesn't make sense to my understanding of a "prevent defense".

I'm no coach and I'm no football expert. I just know that it's an incredibly common sight seeing our linemen engage their blockers and sit there waiting, not actively pursuing the quarterback. It happens often.

Also calling it a prevent seems weird and doesn't make sense to my understanding of a "prevent defense".

And it's also something you DONT see other teams doing. Especially to our "mobile" quarterback. I understand the concept, but personally I dont like it. Just get after it. If we get burned a play or 3 three so be it. It's also awfully stressful and tiresome to ask a secondary to chase receivers around for 10 seconds at a time on multiple occasions.

And it's also something you DONT see other teams doing. Especially to our "mobile" quarterback. I understand the concept, but personally I dont like it. Just get after it. If we get burned a play or 3 three so be it. It's also awfully stressful and tiresome to ask a secondary to chase receivers around for 10 seconds at a time on multiple occasions.

:yeah

It is a QB contain line set up, in the Denard clip. Which makes sense. We wanted to do everything possible to keep him within the pocket.

Didn't watch South Carolina clip, though.

Depends on the clip - but teams did the same thing to Taylor and started forcing him to throw, but thankfully, he learned how to throw.

Denard can't throw.