How do you think the game will be called on the defensive side this year

And it's also something you DONT see other teams doing. Especially to our "mobile" quarterback. I understand the concept, but personally I dont like it. Just get after it. If we get burned a play or 3 three so be it. It's also awfully stressful and tiresome to ask a secondary to chase receivers around for 10 seconds at a time on multiple occasions.

You don't see others doing it because they run 1 Gap. They crash the lanes. It's easier to blitz in 1 Gap.

2 Gap relies on athletic defensive ends and linebackers...something we've been missing for the past year.

I guarantee you one thing though...if we were to pursue shoelace on that play above, we'd have gotten BURNED. You don't go 4 vs 6 and try to flush a mobile QB if he wants to pass...especially shoelace...he wasn't a very good passer. Now I'm just commenting on the example posted above since it was given to me as an example.

Just the same, 2 Gap is DESIGNED to wait and see what happens until D-Ends and Linebackers make something happen. What I see is a defense much like most NFL defenses.

Devnet, I'm going to tell you right now that we've had disagreements, but I think you bring a lot to the board in terms of football knowledge. I only know X's and O's from reading and not playing. Good post +1

You don't see others doing it because they run 1 Gap. They crash the lanes. It's easier to blitz in 1 Gap.

2 Gap relies on athletic defensive ends and linebackers...something we've been missing for the past year.

I guarantee you one thing though...if we were to pursue shoelace on that play above, we'd have gotten BURNED. You don't go 4 vs 6 and try to flush a mobile QB if he wants to pass...especially shoelace...he wasn't a very good passer. Now I'm just commenting on the example posted above since it was given to me as an example.

Just the same, 2 Gap is DESIGNED to wait and see what happens until D-Ends and Linebackers make something happen. What I see is a defense much like most NFL defenses.

I'm a bit confused....what point are you trying to make here?

You don't see other teams sitting back and waiting because they run 1 gap systems, and you see our team doing it because we run 2 gap? I mean.....

duh.

That's what we were originally saying that you had disagreement with I don't even .... wat :confucius

I hate the two gap scheme. I hate the entire philosophy, and it's the biggest downfall of this entire defense. People can point out successful players on Bo's defensive lines in history, but once they get past Dorsey and Suh.....their voices seem to trail off into unrecognizable bullsh#t. Fact is, if you watch the tape, Suh said f#*k the two gap multiple times per game and just made plays. When he did get after it, he was the best we've ever seen. At the same time, the few times he tried to "play it safe", or tried to "make the read" i.e; Virginia Tech, Texas CCG, it seemed to be some of the most regrettable moments in Husker history.

Accountability, you couldn't have said it better IMO. Get after em. Set these guys loose after these QB's, mobile or not. The risk is yea, you might give up a big play here or there, but pressure is a huge thing for a college QB. It forces mistakes. Getting in the head of a young QB can change the entire game. Just ask Taylor about how opposing teams come after him? Why are they doing it to us, yet us not to them? If anything, Taylor would be the last guy to bring the heat on right? He is probably the most mobile QB out there right now.

I hate the two gap scheme. I hate the entire philosophy, and it's the biggest downfall of this entire defense. People can point out successful players on Bo's defensive lines in history, but once they get past Dorsey and Suh.....their voices seem to trail off into unrecognizable bullsh#t. Fact is, if you watch the tape, Suh said f#*k the two gap multiple times per game and just made plays. When he did get after it, he was the best we've ever seen. At the same time, the few times he tried to "play it safe", or tried to "make the read" i.e; Virginia Tech, Texas CCG, it seemed to be some of the most regrettable moments in Husker history.

Accountability, you couldn't have said it better IMO. Get after em. Set these guys loose after these QB's, mobile or not. The risk is yea, you might give up a big play here or there, but pressure is a huge thing for a college QB. It forces mistakes. Getting in the head of a young QB can change the entire game. Just ask Taylor about how opposing teams come after him? Why are they doing it to us, yet us not to them? If anything, Taylor would be the last guy to bring the heat on right? He is probably the most mobile QB out there right now.

Our own QB is a prime example of "getting after him". Martinez can take it to the house on any down, yet every team we play, stacks the box, and brings the heat on every down. We sit back and give them all the time in the world. Regardless of how good our DB's are, no one can cover a receiver for 4-5 secinds.

Fact is, it's just another over complication on a defense that is full of over complications. This is college! These guys just left high school?! I don't know how many of you played high school football, but I did, and I never once started studying another guys position in the playbook. I was far too interested in getting my own position right, and even then I f'd up all the time. I actually heard two guys on 93.7 the Ticket talking about Z.A. and Santos being able to play "multiple" LB'er positions. Neither of these guys have played and been highly effective at ONE f'ing postion! Let alone multiple positions?! I mean WTF is going on at this program where we are talking about two guys bouncing all over the field when they have hardly even made a dent on Saturdays? I don't get it and these aren't the only players I've heard this "multiple" conversation tied to. This staff needs to recruit for the position they want the player to play. They need to train that player for THAT POSITION. They need to get the best players at THAT POSITION on the FIELD. PERIOD.

This is the evolution of Bo Pelini folks, because I'm telling you, when and if he becomes successful, it will be because he is finally beginning to do what I am telling you right now. That is my absolute belief. This isn't the NFL.

Our own QB is a prime example of "getting after him". Martinez can take it to the house on any down, yet every team we play, stacks the box, and brings the heat on every down. We sit back and give them all the time in the world. Regardless of how good our DB's are, no one can cover a receiver for 4-5 secinds.

Exactly.

You might not like it and might not understand it, but hasn't Nebraska had one of the best secondaries in the nation for the past couple of years? Haven't they let up some of the lowest yardage totals passing?

Just because they have been one of the best doesn't mean we haven't been asking quite a lot out of them. In my opinion, this secondary could be even more superior and the key being, they could come away with a lot more turnovers if we were more aggressive in the front seven. The fact the secondary has been this successful in the situation we put them in is IMO a credit to them and their skill level.

Fact is, it's just another over complication on a defense that is full of over complications. This is college! These guys just left high school?! I don't know how many of you played high school football, but I did, and I never once started studying another guys position in the playbook. I was far too interested in getting my own position right, and even then I f'd up all the time. I actually heard two guys on 93.7 the Ticket talking about Z.A. and Santos being able to play "multiple" LB'er positions. Neither of these guys have played and been highly effective at ONE f'ing postion! Let alone multiple positions?! I mean WTF is going on at this program where we are talking about two guys bouncing all over the field when they have hardly even made a dent on Saturdays? I don't get it and these aren't the only players I've heard this "multiple" conversation tied to. This staff needs to recruit for the position they want the player to play. They need to train that player for THAT POSITION. They need to get the best players at THAT POSITION on the FIELD. PERIOD.

This is the evolution of Bo Pelini folks, because I'm telling you, when and if he becomes successful, it will be because he is finally beginning to do what I am telling you right now. That is my absolute belief. This isn't the NFL.

I'm laughing out loud. Oh, we're supposed to take you seriously?

You might not like it and might not understand it, but hasn't Nebraska had one of the best secondaries in the nation for the past couple of years? Haven't they let up some of the lowest yardage totals passing?

Just because they have been one of the best doesn't mean we haven't been asking quite a lot out of them. In my opinion, this secondary could be even more superior and the key being, they could come away with a lot more turnovers if we were more aggressive in the front seven. The fact the secondary has been this successful in the situation we put them in is IMO a credit to them and their skill level.

Not discounting our secondary. The past few years (under Bo) have been one of our bright spots, BUT in 2011 and 2012 teams pretty much beat us like a drum in the running game. Why pass when you can gash our D for 200+ on the ground. (UCLA 305 in the air, Franklin 217 on ground) (OSU 371 on the ground, Wisky 400+) (UGA 400+ in the air)

Take it for what it is worth, but until we find a way to stop the run or face a poor throwing QB, our DB's should be good to go. UGA and UCLA gashed us pretty good through the air with a decent QB.

We have the potential to be much better based on athleticism alone, but until we find a way to be a good D without stars at all 3 levels, I will wait and see.

Fact is, if you watch the tape, Suh said f#*k the two gap multiple times per game and just made plays.

Making multiple plays per game is a fact, but I'm not sure about the idea of him abandoning the scheme regularly. The difference between Suh and a guy like Steinkuhler, for instance, is Suh had the upper body strength and athleticism to dominate the offensive linemen in front of him. I think it had more to do with that than abandoning the scheme.

People can point out successful players on Bo's defensive lines in history, but once they get past Dorsey and Suh.....their voices seem to trail off into unrecognizable bullsh#t.

Just off the top of my head, I seem to remember a kid named Jared Crick, who was really not bad.

Not discounting our secondary. The past few years (under Bo) have been one of our bright spots, BUT in 2011 and 2012 teams pretty much beat us like a drum in the running game. Why pass when you can gash our D for 200+ on the ground. (UCLA 305 in the air, Franklin 217 on ground) (OSU 371 on the ground, Wisky 400+) (UGA 400+ in the air)

Take it for what it is worth, but until we find a way to stop the run or face a poor throwing QB, our DB's should be good to go. UGA and UCLA gashed us pretty good through the air with a decent QB.

We have the potential to be much better based on athleticism alone, but until we find a way to be a good D without stars at all 3 levels, I will wait and see.

This has been discussed numerous times. Nebraska was at the top in passing EFFICIENCY defense. That has absolutely nothing to do with the opponent's success running the ball.