Best practice to meet "guy" friends"?....don't laugh, honest question

I'm in my early 30's, married, have 3 young kids (not old enough for sports), live in West Omaha, and have no time for leisurely "hanging out". I have plenty of friends but we have spread out. Even though Lincoln, Gretna, and other spots are close; it is a pain in the *ss to get together for a few beers unless you want to make a night of it including babysitters and spouses.....and a personal assistant to handle everyones's schedules :) Our neighborhood consists of people much older than us, my coworkers are mostly in another zipcode, and my wife's coworkers are all female. Hell, I can't move a couch to the basement without planning it for 2 weeks. More or less, I'm just venting about getting older, and having responsibilities. Just looking for advice on how to make the transition easier.

Good question, I personally don't have an answer for you. I am in the same sort of boat where I live. Moved to Idaho 2 years ago and would say don't really have anyone to hang out with. We have met some people but most are through going to church. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want all my social events to revolve around religion. Be nice to have a couple or 2 that my wife and I could go to dinner with once in a while and have a drink with.

I'm in my early 30's, married, have 3 young kids (not old enough for sports), live in West Omaha, and have no time for leisurely "hanging out". I have plenty of friends but we have spread out. Even though Lincoln, Gretna, and other spots are close; it is a pain in the *ss to get together for a few beers unless you want to make a night of it including babysitters and spouses.....and a personal assistant to handle everyones's schedules :) Our neighborhood consists of people much older than us, my coworkers are mostly in another zipcode, and my wife's coworkers are all female. Hell, I can't move a couch to the basement without planning it for 2 weeks. More or less, I'm just venting about getting older, and having responsibilities. Just looking for advice on how to make the transition easier.

Honestly dude, make it a priority.

Make each Husker away game when you and your friends meet at a bar to hang out. The dates are set far in advance so that is not a problem.

Make each Husker home game a day where you and them go to Lincoln and/or a bar to watch it.

I know that only covers about 3 months but it is a start. You will probably have to nag some of them about it, but do it, it is worth it.

I have a feeling this is a common problem for a lot of guys our age. The "beer commercial" world of a group of guys hanging out (after different jobs and lifestyles) and getting into "shenanigans" doesn't really exist after the age of 25. However, I come from a small town where I had a dozen cousins and family friends within 5 miles; not the case anymore where "close" means 15-20 miles through town...

Honestly dude, make it a priority.

Make each Husker away game when you and your friends meet at a bar to hang out. The dates are set far in advance so that is not a problem.

Make each Husker home game a day where you and them go to Lincoln and/or a bar to watch it.

I know that only covers about 3 months but it is a start. You will probably have to nag some of them about it, but do it, it is worth it.

I don't have a problem with "events", We gather and we have fun. My question is how to "fill in the gaps". How to move a couch without organizing a reunion? How to have a place to go when the wife pisses you off that doesn't require a trip to the gas station? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to help move a couch or offer a "beer and ear", I just wish it didn't require a moving truck and realtors to be closer to buddies.... TeacherCD, I also teach and I'm in the middle of summer, maybe I'm just suffering from cabin fever.

I have a feeling this is a common problem for a lot of guys our age. The "beer commercial" world of a group of guys hanging out (after different jobs and lifestyles) and getting into "shenanigans" doesn't really exist after the age of 25. However, I come from a small town where I had a dozen cousins and family friends within 5 miles; not the case anymore where "close" means 15-20 miles through town...

Speak for yourself

• Fire 1

Maybe join a softball team. Or take up archery or some other hobby where you can meet guys.

OTOH, the best group of buddies I had to hang out with was back in college. Of course we all scattered upon graduation. I haven't had a similar group of pals since.

have no time for leisurely "hanging out".

That could be an issue.

BINGO! I feel bad/weird about asking the guy I hardly know to come move furniture because my wife all of a sudden feels the playroom should be an office and not feel as if I should pay him in cash, food, beer.

Maybe join a softball team. Or take up archery or some other hobby where you can meet guys.

OTOH, the best group of buddies I had to hang out with was back in college. Of course we all scattered upon graduation. I haven't had a similar group of pals since.

Nuance, it isn't about having an "outlet" on a weekly basis, I have that. We meet somewhere at a central location. It is more about finding "buddies" after settling down that don't involve the awkward feeling of being your "wife's friend doing you a favor". I agree, my best friends today are from college and my work that isn't really close to home.