Athlon Sports Predicts Huskers Season: six panelists say 10-2 or 11-1

Good breakdown from six panelists put together by Athlon Sports. Steven Lassan, Braden Gall, Brent Yarina, Kevin McGuire, Mark Ross and David Fox gave their opinions of the upcoming season. Not surprisingly, all were excited about our offense and credited that side of the ball heavily for our success this year. Also not surprisingly, concern about the youth on defense brings concern to the panel.

Interestingly, all six predict an undefeated Husker team rolling through the first half of the season.

Nebraska should face Northwestern undefeated at 7-0, according to the unanimous panel.

Two of the six panelists, Brent Yarina (BTN.com's web editor) and Mark Ross (Editor at Athlon Sports) pick Northwestern to once again defeat Nebraska in Lincoln. Both cite the defense as reasons for the loss.

All six pick us to lose on the road at Michigan. Not much explanation why, but judging by our road record in the Big Ten, not much explanation is needed.

All six pick us to beat both Michigan State and Iowa, and neither prediction seems that outlandish, nor did either generate much discussion.

Two of the six, Steve Lassan (College Football Editor at Athlon Sports) and David Fox (Senior Editor at Athlon Sports) pick us to lose to Penn State at Happy Valley. Lassan basically says we'll lose to either Northwestern or Penn State, so he picked Penn State as the loss (likely because it's a road game) and Fox cites home-field advantage and a stout Nittany Lions defense for his reasoning.

Read the article and the opinions. Decent run-down by most, although nobody really has much to go on at this point.

Man, I'm surprised how many people are just giving us the UCLA game as a win. Last year was a buzz saw that nobody saw coming...

I'm not seeing it, either. We gave up 36 points and 650 yards of offense to UCLA. And what's our biggest question mark entering 2013? The defense, which returns four starters.

UCLA's offense loses Johnathan Franklin, an 1,800-yard rusher from last season (and 1,000 yards the year before), and he'll be a tough guy to replace. But they return four starters off last year's offensive line, a luxury that matches up well with Nebraska's depleted and untested defensive line. Our two returning defenders with game experience were the #12 and #15 tacklers on last year's squad, and we return only one linebacker, the #13 tackler in 2012. They return Brett Hundley, who had his way with our more experienced defense last year.

Home-field advantage is nice, but UCLA figures to be better, not worse under Mora. We'll have to be worlds better than we were last year, and while that's possible with a more athletic defense (projected) that's hardly something to be certain of.

If it's my money, I'm picking UCLA to win that game. I don't see how anyone can predict anything else with the question marks on defense.

Man, I'm surprised how many people are just giving us the UCLA game as a win. Last year was a buzz saw that nobody saw coming...

I'm not seeing it, either. We gave up 36 points and 650 yards of offense to UCLA. And what's our biggest question mark entering 2013? The defense, which returns four starters.

UCLA's offense loses Johnathan Franklin, an 1,800-yard rusher from last season (and 1,000 yards the year before), and he'll be a tough guy to replace. But they return four starters off last year's offensive line, a luxury that matches up well with Nebraska's depleted and untested defensive line. Our two returning defenders with game experience were the #12 and #15 tacklers on last year's squad, and we return only one linebacker, the #13 tackler in 2012. They return Brett Hundley, who had his way with our more experienced defense last year.

Home-field advantage is nice, but UCLA figures to be better, not worse under Mora. We'll have to be worlds better than we were last year, and while that's possible with a more athletic defense (projected) that's hardly something to be certain of.

If it's my money, I'm picking UCLA to win that game. I don't see how anyone can predict anything else with the question marks on defense.

I think the "revenge" factor plays a large role in that game. No doubt it's going to be a shootout, but I expect us to win most of those this year. This could be our best offense in a long time....

Losing Franklin is huge (He's their top rusher of all time) but I'm still wary.

I think the "revenge" factor plays a large role in that game. No doubt it's going to be a shootout, but I expect us to win most of those this year. This could be our best offense in a long time....

I hope so, but "revenge" was supposed to play a factor in the Northwestern and Wisconsin games last year and we needed double-digit second-half comebacks to win both. This team doesn't seem to channel that revenge energy very well.

I hope so, but "revenge" was supposed to play a factor in the Northwestern and Wisconsin games last year and we needed double-digit second-half comebacks to win both. This team doesn't seem to channel that revenge energy very well.

I don't know, it just feels like a game we'll win. Everyone thought the D would be improved with better athletes on the field (as opposed to slow playbook nerds), so I guess we'll see what we wanted as the season begins....

UCLA is questionable at best on defense with losses and they lose a high percentage of their offensive firepower at skill positions from a year ago. Speed beat us last year defensively, rumors are that wont be as big of an issue this season.

I think we win that game but it is close.

Hundley will be a year older, that jump from Freshman to Sophomore is usually big. Expect him to be even more dangerous as he learns to read defenses better. Lucien is back (70 yards receiving against us), as is Shaq. 4 starters back on the OL is huge, and will really test our rush defense early in the season.

While their D was suspsect against us last year, it improved quite a bit throughout the season. It was their first year under that coordinator and is probably going to make a good leap this year. Owa is still there, as is Marsh. Expect those two ends to pressure Martinez all night. They also return Kendricks w/ 149 tackles last year. Their top 4 tacklers from last year are back, including 3 LBers. The biggest weakness on their D will be in the backfield - so lets hope our WRs live up to expectations, and another summer with Calhoun has Martinez crisp early in the season.

I'm with Knapp though, if I was in Vegas with my own money...UCLA gets the nod, especially since we'll likely be 2-3 pnt favs.

UCLA is questionable at best on defense with losses and they lose a high percentage of their offensive firepower at skill positions from a year ago. Speed beat us last year defensively, rumors are that wont be as big of an issue this season.

Hundley will be a year older, that jump from Freshman to Sophomore is usually big. Expect him to be even more dangerous as he learns to read defenses better. Lucien is back (70 yards receiving against us), as is Shaq. 4 starters back on the OL is huge, and will really test our rush defense early in the season.

While their D was suspsect against us last year, it improved quite a bit throughout the season. It was their first year under that coordinator and is probably going to make a good leap this year. Owa is still there, as is Marsh. Expect those two ends to pressure Martinez all night. They also return Kendricks w/ 149 tackles last year. Their top 4 tacklers from last year are back, including 3 LBers. The biggest weakness on their D will be in the backfield - so lets hope our WRs live up to expectations, and another summer with Calhoun has Martinez crisp early in the season.

I'm with Knapp though, if I was in Vegas with my own money...UCLA gets the nod, especially since we'll likely be 2-3 pnt favs.

Owa is more than likely out for the 1st half of the season possibly out for the year.

Their defensive backfield was what I was talking about as suspect. Can't see them doing well against our play action pass game as OUR OL is going to be probably the best we've had in ten years allowing us to really move the ball on the ground to set that up.

I don't bet on Nebraska, too much heart instead of head. I think that this game is going to be a heck of a test for our young d.

Owa is possibly out for the season, and more than likely out for the 1st half.

Must have missed that. I remember the injury, then they said he'd be out - then he found out it wasn't as bad and should be ready to go for the season. That'll certainly help matters if he isn't healthy.

EDIT: http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2013/05/20/early-return-for-owa-odighizuwa-conceivable/

“I think it’s conceivable that he could be ready for the start of the year,” Mora said. “I think what’s important is that we make sure he’s 100 percent before we ask him to go back out there. We’ve got to move slowly and efficiently.”
I still can't believe people are just GIVING Michigan the win.

I know it's IN Michigan, but come on...did they find a running game? Will Gardner be shut down just like he was last year by us? Do they have anyone that can rush passers like the one they lost in Jake Ryan?

There are just as many question marks on their side of things as on our defensive side. I think they're getting buzz due to their recruiting classes they've brought in and NOT due to the actual ability of the team. I think Nebraska wins this one.

Gardner did not play QB against us last year.