Athlon Sports Predicts Huskers Season: six panelists say 10-2 or 11-1

Owa is possibly out for the season, and more than likely out for the 1st half.

Must have missed that. I remember the injury, then they said he'd be out - then he found out it wasn't as bad and should be ready to go for the season. That'll certainly help matters if he isn't healthy.

Yeah they said it's "possible" he'll be back but nothing since then.

I still can't believe people are just GIVING Michigan the win.

I know it's IN Michigan, but come on...did they find a running game? Will Gardner be shut down just like he was last year by us? Do they have anyone that can rush passers like the one they lost in Jake Ryan?

There are just as many question marks on their side of things as on our defensive side. I think they're getting buzz due to their recruiting classes they've brought in and NOT due to the actual ability of the team. I think Nebraska wins this one.

PS: their defense loses 4 all big ten performers. Their Offense has not a lot of returning firepower...just unrealized potential.

FWIW they did sign the #1 RB from last years recruiting class, Derrick Green. The kid is an absolute stud, so they may have found some kind of running game.

I know it's IN Michigan, but come on...did they find a running game? Will Gardner be shut down just like he was last year by us? Do they have anyone that can rush passers like the one they lost in Jake Ryan?

There are just as many question marks on their side of things as on our defensive side. I think they're getting buzz due to their recruiting classes they've brought in and NOT due to the actual ability of the team. I think Nebraska wins this one.

PS: their defense loses 4 all big ten performers. Their Offense has not a lot of returning firepower...just unrealized potential.

FWIW they did sign the #1 RB from last years recruiting class, Derrick Green. The kid is an absolute stud, so they may have found some kind of running game.

He is also a true freshmen...

At a position that is easy to transition from HS to college

So was Hundley last year when he lit up our D. RB is probably the easiest to contribute as a true fresh. we see it all the time here, and we aren't signing the #1 recruit in the nation.

Situationally? Ya i agree with you. It is easy as a back up in a role designed for you, if your body is ready. Normally you don't see fresh backs come in and be the main ball carrier in a run heavy conference like the B1G.

Our true freshmen aren't expected to be the number one guy and carry the load all season. Not to mention they are going to a prostyle pound it Big Ten offense this year. Will his body handle that beating? Going from being able to out run or run over all of his HS opponents to the B1G is a different animal.

The best part about Robinson being gone from Michigan is that they ate going too pro-style offense. They are going to struggle to get big plays and struggle to score. USC, who can get any recruit they basically want, still seems to think the pro-style is the way to go and they keep losing games.

Playing 10 on 11 is of foolish. Bama does it and it works for them but they still have some games that are nail biters and they don't score a ton but they do have a super bad ass defense, so that helps.

I really hadnt given the Penn St. Game much thought as a possible loss. UCLA and Michigan were games that stood out as more likely losses. Now giving it some thought, I can really see why so many people are picking us to lose that game. Penn St. really could find their offensive rhythm this year. By the time we play them they may be firing on all cylinders. It might be the same type of scenario as Michigan and UCLA. O'Brien's offense will probably be very capable of spreading us out also with the ability to line up and run it straight at us when needed. Both of those things we have proven to be pretty weak at dealing with. Our run defense is almost non existent and was the worst in school history last year I believe. Then you have the young corps of LBers and safeties trying to defend a 4 or 5 wide spread. I just don't know if we can handle that at this point.

I guess that puts me in the 3 loss boat. Still a possible 2 loss regular season if that UCLA game surprises me like I think it could. As I said in another thread, UCLA is beatable for us, I just see our inexperience at FG kicker maybe playing a factor in a close game. Probably another 4 loss season with a loss to Ohio St. in the CCG.

The best part about Robinson being gone from Michigan is that they ate going too pro-style offense. They are going to struggle to get big plays and struggle to score. USC, who can get any recruit they basically want, still seems to think the pro-style is the way to go and they keep losing games.

Playing 10 on 11 is of foolish. Bama does it and it works for them but they still have some games that are nail biters and they don't score a ton but they do have a super bad ass defense, so that helps.

I don't understand why Michigan is going to pro-style, either. Gardner seems like a perfect fit for a run/pass spread option kind of scheme, something like Missouri was running against us the last few years, except Gardner's a way better runner than Gabbert or Booger Boy. Put that kid on a spread field and let him find a receiver. Have him check one or two options, and if they're not open, he can run downfield. If I'm Pelini, I'm terrified of that.

Hoke seems to have a thoroughbred and he's trying to turn him into a plow horse. Maybe it'll work, and maybe a D1 college head coach knows more about his team and players than I. But I'll believe it when I see it.

As far as our D being more experienced last year vs. the speed (supposedly) this year. Well, I would take medium speed and being in position all or most of the time then a lot of speed and out of position. Last year I believe we had a mix of both medium speed and mostly out of position.

If you watched film from last year (and knew what you were looking for-I'm not saying you dont) you would see that last year was actually a case of mostly being IN position but having even less than medium speed.

• Fire 1

I think penn st will get progressively worse this yr and the next 3-5 yrs before they get better.

Last year, crazy as it sounds, the pressure was kinda off of them. They lost their 1st two, kind of because of this "pressure".

After those losses, they kinda just said, "what the hell, lets just go play"

Now they have loss of schollies and attrition that will really rear it's head. You simply cannot lose 8-10 players 2 years in a row and get better. That's why so many said this may be worse than a 3 yr death sentence--a slow trickle of talent loss will bleed the program dry.

I just don't see PSU as very formidable, upcoming.

So was Hundley last year when he lit up our D. RB is probably the easiest to contribute as a true fresh. we see it all the time here, and we aren't signing the #1 recruit in the nation.

He was a RS freshman i believe

I think penn st will get progressively worse this yr and the next 3-5 yrs before they get better.

I read an article today that said they were sitting at something like 67 scholly's and had to be below 65 by next year.

In that same article it said that Georgia (one of the few sec teams that doesn't oversign)...started last season with just 72 scholarship players before Richt gave scholly's to 7 walkons.