Athlon Sports Predicts Huskers Season: six panelists say 10-2 or 11-1

Did you also come from a naturally strong family?

Not unless you call my dad who was 5'5" 150lbs and my mom who was 5'1" 105 lbs athletic or strong. Neither one of them were into sports. I'm a giant at 5'7" tall. I was the king of my small town at that size due to my athletic ability...where it came from, I have no idea.

smurfs_village.jpg

Is that your hometown?

• Fire 6

Scheme issue or not I simply disagreed with your stance on players being in position frequently. They weren't and there were many reasons for that I'm sure. That was purely where we disagreed.

Secondly, if yelling and screaming frantically before a play as we are just getting lined up as the ball is snapped, well if you call that communication then it is poor communication at best.. There is a difference between effective communication and what we have been doing.

People are talking a lot about the 9am Pacific Time start for the UCLA game. They've got two weeks to prepare for the game, and I'm sure Mora will have them acclimated to the start time. That won't be any kind of advantage.

It is impossible to get acclimated unless they are going to have football practice at 9:00 AM for those 2 weeks and that is impossible with classes. I an not saying this is why NU will win, but it will be a factor. Go look at the records when NU plays UCLA in the last 40 years all of NU's loses or close games are in LA and all of the blowout loses UCLA has taken are in Lincoln. Terry Donehue has some pretty good teams in that time frame and they got killed a lot when they played in Lincoln.

People are talking a lot about the 9am Pacific Time start for the UCLA game. They've got two weeks to prepare for the game, and I'm sure Mora will have them acclimated to the start time. That won't be any kind of advantage.

It is impossible to get acclimated unless they are going to have football practice at 9:00 AM for those 2 weeks and that is impossible with classes. I an not saying this is why NU will win, but it will be a factor. Go look at the records when NU plays UCLA in the last 40 years all of NU's loses or close games are in LA and all of the blowout loses UCLA has taken are in Lincoln. Terry Donehue has some pretty good teams in that time frame and they got killed a lot when they played in Lincoln.

I don't know, man. I'm with you that it'll be "a factor." We're just differing on how big. I don't think much. I'm betting Mora has that team loaded for bear again.

No sh#t. Talk about needing to "check yourself" Devnet's the one that crossed a threshold here. :lol:

thresholds are crossed when correlation of speed is drawn with skin color instead of actual ability. I didn't draw that correlation but gave evidence that it didn't hold true with a personal example.

I apologize if I offended anyone with the response, but it is my experience that stating skin color in a comment as part of a reason for athletic ability makes you seem pretty ignorant/biased encroaching being labeled a bigot. I thought I was calling that comment out but evidently, people think i'm part of the problem as well so this will be the last I comment on this.

I was kiddin around with the post you just quoted in reference to the wifi situation. Purely joking. And yes I know what can I opened when I made the comment. But it is a very real perception and always will be. I apologized, but I'll also stand by what I said. Our safety was in the clear with a 10 yard head start and was run down from behind by Michigan's backup white qb. That is a factual comment. And how is that racism? Is that not a compliment towards the colored athlete? And no, you have not been labeled the problem. Your comment about your awesome athletic ability lead into wifi jokes. It's all in good fun. I'm not gonna comment on this anymore either. Good day sir. :thumbs

I don't think that UCLA starts classes until way late, like, after the Husker game.

From taking in this whole dang thread.........and looking at what NEB has at the table along with UCLA....here's my prediction based on the condition of NEB's defense:

NEB's defense is approx. 25% better or more than it was last year: The game is a slugfest in the first half, teams go back and forth scoring....second half...NEB's defense bitch-slaps UCLA and pretty much shuts them out leaving the Huskers with a 10-20 or more points victory.

NEB's defense is about the same as last year: The team is in a close one the whole game.....just as it was last year. I favor the Huskers by 6.

Lastly, discussing the fact that all the Athalon analysts picked MICH to beat the Skers.......If I am not mistaken, Phil Steele picked MICH to end the season with 3-4 losses I believe. Now, don't hold me to that...and I am not saying Phil Steele is going to be right, but his predictions are not to be taken lightly....maybe he knows something we don't. Maybe Hoke is going to try and fit a square peg into a round hole with his offense and force them to play a more pro-style offense when we can all see that Gardner would shine in a spread/option type of offense. Do I think NEB can go undefeated in the regular season? Hell yeah....but I am still leaning more towards an 11-1 regular season affair.

Chaddy, I'm still in the 2 loss crowd. Maybe not Michigan. Maybe not UCLA. But somewhere somehow, the inexperience and youth on D catches up with us when the offense has a sub par day(and yes, that is probably going to happen). However, the kicker is the fashion of the losses. I dont expect meltdowns and blowout losses either. I expect us to be much more competitive. Now, there may not be many returning starters on D and that is a bit worrysome, but that's probably a good thing, because it wasnt all that good anyway.

I've said this before. I expect the D overall to be similar to last year. Giving up some yards and points obviously. Only the glaring improvement being the elimination of the defensive collapses resulting in meltdown, blowout losses. I fully expect the additional athleticism and hopefully elevated young agression to eliminate that.

Since when does skin color have anything to do with speed? I'm white and I ran a 4.35 40 yard dash and a 10.7 100m dash and had a 36" vertical leap.

I think you might want to check yourself a bit there.

You're as fast as Denard Robinson?

54.jpg?1316054607

I think the NBA average vertical is under 36...

No sh#t. Talk about needing to "check yourself" Devnet's the one that crossed a threshold here. :lol:

thresholds are crossed when correlation of speed is drawn with skin color instead of actual ability. I didn't draw that correlation but gave evidence that it didn't hold true with a personal example.

I apologize if I offended anyone with the response, but it is my experience that stating skin color in a comment as part of a reason for athletic ability makes you seem pretty ignorant/biased encroaching being labeled a bigot. I thought I was calling that comment out but evidently, people think i'm part of the problem as well so this will be the last I comment on this.

How many of the NFL skill positions are loaded with white guys again?

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2008/12/nfl_a_study_in.php

• Fire 1

I think we beat UCLA this year by about 10-12 pts. I was at the UCLA game last year and have a few observations about it. UCLA played arguably their best game of the year that night. NU did not play their best by any means. NU had a chance to up by 14 in the first half and missed it allowing them to have hope. UCLA did a great job of creating match up problems with a water bug slippery RB on a LB through motion. Tackling was terrible there was many times when they should have been stopped for 2-3 yards that turned into 10-12. The longer you let an underdog in a game like that the more they start to believe and they were believing it big time by the end of that game. Playing early in the morning Pacific time is a big factor in this game IMO. West Coast teams do not usually play well coming East. Just look at UCLA when they have come to Nebraska to play and see their record.

I think if we had played them in November, we would have won.