Taylor Martinez----One of the more prolific QB's of all time.

If Martinez had the lights out defense many of the past greats have had, it might be a different story as well.

He should be about a lock for the 9000/3000 club. The offense should be good enough that its worst enemy may well be itself with a fumble or stupid penalty. And only one 'elite' defense on the schedule.

Since Taylor only needs 142 yards rushing, is it out of the question that he runs for around 1142 and becomes the first ever 9000/4000 qb?

If Martinez had the lights out defense many of the past greats have had, it might be a different story as well.

He should be about a lock for the 9000/3000 club. The offense should be good enough that its worst enemy may well be itself with a fumble or stupid penalty. And only one 'elite' defense on the schedule.

Since Taylor only needs 142 yards rushing, is it out of the question that he runs for around 1142 and becomes the first ever 9000/4000 qb?

Kaepernick is actually 10,000/4,000 so Taylor would be second but that would be crazy.

Its not entirely out of the question that he joins the 10000/4000 club. TM had 2871 pass yards and 1019 rush yards last season.

He will need 3409 pass yards (538 more than last season.) and 1142 rush (123 more than last season) to make it happen though. It will be super difficult and mostly unlikely, but it isn't out of the question. We would need the stats from the conference title game to make it happen though. We do have an extra home game this year, and avoid UW & OSU, so that helps.

Martinez has been consistently inconsistent his whole career. He looks great some weeks but other weeks looks uncomfortable, like when he threw pick 6's to start the OSU and B1G championship game.

And also among his records, he's led the FBS in fumbles over the past 3 seasons. You can always count on Taylor to cough up at least one a game, and they sometimes come at the worst possible time.

He has all the physical tools to be a great QB, but I think it is more of a mental game for him. He has difficulties reading defenses and looking to a 2nd or 3rd receiver in the progression. His football IQ seems to be a step below of QB's like Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck.

Martinez has been consistently inconsistent his whole career. He looks great some weeks but other weeks looks uncomfortable, like when he threw pick 6's to start the OSU and B1G championship game.

And also among his records, he's led the FBS in fumbles over the past 3 seasons. You can always count on Taylor to cough up at least one a game, and they sometimes come at the worst possible time.

He has all the physical tools to be a great QB, but I think it is more of a mental game for him. He has difficulties reading defenses and looking to a 2nd or 3rd receiver in the progression. His football IQ seems to be a step below of QB's like Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck.

A step below two guys who started from Week 1 as NFL rookies isn't a bad place to be.

I like Taylor and I'm rooting for him this season. It hasn't always been the case. I think he has showed dedication and a work effort. His will to win has earned him some respect in my book and the good things he has done at this University have been remarkable. Some of his highlight reels are just insane to watch.

That said, that doesn't mean what huskerdude is saying isn't true. It is true. Taylor has some serious downside at times. His footwork and willingness to stand in the pocket fall short many times. He has fumbled the ball a lot, and his turnovers have seemed to come at some of the worst times. Yet, can't we acknowledge that and still acknowledge that he's one of the best in some other areas too. You don't see guys with his break away speed like that everyday. You don't always hear about guys taking time out of their summer to go work on their throwing motion for the good of the team. We've watched this kid grow up quite a bit, in the game and as a person.

Maybe this year, we all take a step back, acknowledge this kid's effort, acknowledge he is a tough as nails Husker, and that he is out there giving his best for the team we all love quite a lot. Let's hope he wipes those mistakes off the board in a way that is so spectacular, the chalkboard of negatives in the past is wiped clean. The kid deserves our support. I hope he goes out a CHAMPION.

• Fire 3

He reminds me a lot of Kaepernick, actually.

It's probably more accurate to say Kaepernick reminds me of him. I didn't get a chance to watch Kaepernick play a lot last year, until the super bowl. I kept thinking "he looks like Martinez out there". Only considerably taller.

I like Taylor and I'm rooting for him this season. It hasn't always been the case. I think he has showed dedication and a work effort. His will to win has earned him some respect in my book and the good things he has done at this University have been remarkable. Some of his highlight reels are just insane to watch.

That said, that doesn't mean what huskerdude is saying isn't true. It is true. Taylor has some serious downside at times. His footwork and willingness to stand in the pocket fall short many times. He has fumbled the ball a lot, and his turnovers have seemed to come at some of the worst times. Yet, can't we acknowledge that and still acknowledge that he's one of the best in some other areas too. You don't see guys with his break away speed like that everyday. You don't always hear about guys taking time out of their summer to go work on their throwing motion for the good of the team. We've watched this kid grow up quite a bit, in the game and as a person.

Maybe this year, we all take a step back, acknowledge this kid's effort, acknowledge he is a tough as nails Husker, and that he is out there giving his best for the team we all love quite a lot. Let's hope he wipes those mistakes off the board in a way that is so spectacular, the chalkboard of negatives in the past is wiped clean. The kid deserves our support. I hope he goes out a CHAMPION.

• Fire 1

Taylor's biggest flaw, as we all know, are the turnovers. Its college football, who cares how he throws, as long as he can produce great drives, limit turnovers and manage the game clock, that's all that matters. Even how ugly his mechanics are, he managed to show us a decent arm. Not the greatest, but decent.

What makes Taylor prolific, in my eyes, more than the yards, is his attitude, work ethic and his will to never quit. This man could have hung his helmet up in any of those games last year, instead of doing that, he demanded perfection and for his OL to pull their heads out of their asses to come back. When he got hit, and hit hard, he got right back up for the next play. Even if he was hobbling, he didn't leave the game. His RS Sophomore year is a prime example of the fight this man has. It takes PURE heart to play through what he did. He doesn't take no for an answer, and he sure in the hell isn't going to let a high ankle sprain and turf toe keep him off the field.

I don't know how many times I yelled and wished for him to be replaced or taken off the field, but after last year and with me looking outside my spoiled thoughts, I am putting my foot in my mouth. I am glad he is a Husker, and I can't wait to see him play his heart out his Senior year.

He reminds me a lot of Kaepernick, actually. It's probably more accurate to say Kaepernick reminds me of him. I didn't get a chance to watch Kaepernick play a lot last year, until the super bowl. I kept thinking "he looks like Martinez out there". Only considerably taller.

The biggest difference between the two, is Kaepernick has a CANNON. Lol.

Its not entirely out of the question that he joins the 10000/4000 club. TM had 2871 pass yards and 1019 rush yards last season.

He will need 3409 pass yards (538 more than last season.) and 1142 rush (123 more than last season) to make it happen though. It will be super difficult and mostly unlikely, but it isn't out of the question. We would need the stats from the conference title game to make it happen though. We do have an extra home game this year, and avoid UW & OSU, so that helps.

If he can hit those numbers.... he may very well be lifting the Heisman come December.... not to mention a great possibility of being undefeated.... that would be an excellent end to a fairly excellent college career

I will not argue Andrew Luck because they play different styles of QB altogether. But I just looked up Russell Wilsons career college stats and Martinez is the same or better than what Wilson did in his 1st 3 years while at NC State. So I am not going to buy the football IQ thing. Wilson had a great senior year at Wisconsin. I think it is only fair to give Martinez this year before making the comparison.

The stats did not include fumbles. Although we all know Martinez has had his fair share of problems in this area. To be fair, I don't think it is appropriate to identify this as Football IQ. He runs the ball far more often than the other 2 QB's listed so there is going to be more chance of fumbles.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/russell-wilson-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taylor-martinez-1.html