Recruiting violations

Okay, we all know they go on, at every school at some level. That is not the point of this, the point of this thread is what YOU think would be a good way to fix it. I have my ideas on the major violations...

If your school commits major violations, whatever those are deemed as, you lose...home games.

Think about it,imagine as a Husker fan, the huskers losing 1-8 home games for violations.

A. Business owners In the area would freak

B. ticket holders would freak

C. Administration would freak

For instance USC a few years back, instead of losing 10 scholarships would have lost all the home games for that year.

I have always thought it would be the single best way to do things. Even minor infractions could add to up one or more home games lost.

It would get the coaches, administrations and of course the fans attention. I really think it would stop cheating, or a huge chunk of it, fast.

Very interesting idea, but I don't think it is very practical. For one, you could probably only take non-conference home games away. Otherwise, how would you decide which teams to give the games to? Even non-con games would be a problem because many of those teams would MUCH rather have the paycheck than a home game.

Very interesting idea, but I don't think it is very practical. For one, you could probably only take non-conference home games away. Otherwise, how would you decide which teams to give the games to? Even non-con games would be a problem because many of those teams would MUCH rather have the paycheck than a home game.

Ahhhh, well. Say it is a non-con game, the team still gets paid but the violating team has to give up the home game and travel.

I have to think that this would really start to crack down on cheating

Unfortunately, IMO, if you start hitting the bottom line that hard - and hurt the merchants/alumni in the pocket books - there may be even more widespread cover ups top to bottom. I think, for the most part, compliance departments do an adequate job of training, investigations, and self reporting. Obviously, there are exceptions but it beats the wild west days like we saw in the 70's and 80's.

Ahhhh, well. Say it is a non-con game, the team still gets paid but the violating team has to give up the home game and travel.

I have to think that this would really start to crack down on cheating

Even then, you have to consider the situations that many smaller schools are in. They just don't have the infrastructure in place to support more than, say, 5 home games a year, yet alone a home game from a much larger fanbase.

Plus, those contracts that they sign to pay teams to come to play are probably not under the purview of the NCAA, but, are instead, legal contracts. I doubt things would go over to well from a legal standpoint to try to alter those agreements.

That is kind of what I am getting at.

1. Less or no home games KILLS the local business which in turn would mean fans would not put up with cheating

2. The school itself would not put up with it

I suppose to make it easier you could just penalize the cheating school by taking their home game money they earned.

I don't know, I just know this, i don't care at all if NU cheats. But, if you took away my partying time in Lincoln because of cheating, i would care.

I think the penalty of losing home games is an excellent idea IF the goal is to reduce/eliminate cheating. Sure there are implementation problems but, in theory, it would work wonders.

Side note for teacher. I really hope you were not being completely serious when you said you don't care if NU cheats but don't mess with your partying time. If you were serious, please don't "teach" any ethics or morals to our youth.

Okay, we all know they go on, at every school at some level. That is not the point of this, the point of this thread is what YOU think would be a good way to fix it. I have my ideas on the major violations...

If your school commits major violations, whatever those are deemed as, you lose...home games.

Think about it,imagine as a Husker fan, the huskers losing 1-8 home games for violations.

For instance USC a few years back, instead of losing 10 scholarships would have lost all the home games for that year.

I have always thought it would be the single best way to do things. Even minor infractions could add to up one or more home games lost.

It would get the coaches, administrations and of course the fans attention. I really think it would stop cheating, or a huge chunk of it, fast.

Too many problems with contracts involved with venues and networks for that to ever happen. And it still would not have the impact. Think some would trade a season of home games for a crystal football?

Better option. Don't punish the school. Ban the coaches from coaching. His the guys doing the cheating in their wallets and careers.

Too many problems with contracts involved with venues and networks for that to ever happen. And it still would not have the impact. Think some would trade a season of home games for a crystal football?

Better option. Don't punish the school. Ban the coaches from coaching. His the guys doing the cheating in their wallets and careers.

Yeah. If you take away the home games, you're really hurting the local merchants more than anyone. I understand that you have to make a point somehow, but what do the Dennis Erickson's of the world care if the town/school they just left goes to hell after they've committed multiple violations?

Yeah. If you take away the home games, you're really hurting the local merchants more than anyone. I understand that you have to make a point somehow, but what do the Dennis Erickson's of the world care if the town/school they just left goes to hell after they've committed multiple violations?

But with sanctions of any kind you're going to hurt someone. Either the athletes, students, fans, etc. Putting the hurt on local merchants would provide an efficient feedback loop. They would be up in the AD's grill if the program was doing stuff that could get sanctions.