UCLA Game worries

UCLA were the first expose everything that was wrong with our defense last year. Our lack of speed at LBs. They were killing us with the short drag route. Compton could not keep up. There's an argument there that UCLA was the better team that night IMO.

I did enjoy myself in Pasadena that day, and in West Hollywood that weekend.

What's crazy is Compton ran a 4.6 40 and still holds the record for fastest 10 yd run EVER at Nebraska.

I think Compton has become everyone's scapegoat for what was wrong with our defense. I think the breakdown actually happened at our defensive end position AND our outside linebackers.

Best players can have bad days, too. I don't think anyone was scapegoating Compton--he had a lot of good moments last year. That being said, he had a lot of bad moments as well.

The breakdown wasn't in one or even two positions. The breakdown--when our defense did breakdown was an all-around effort. Secondary didn't cover, secondary didn't tackle well. Linebackers couldn't react to the crossing routes, couldn't shoot the gap, couldn't stop the ball carrier. The defensive line couldn't generate a pass rush, they couldn't plug up the holes. Now I'll agree with you in part when you say that defensive end wasn't necessarily Nebraska's strong suit last season and was probably the consistent weak point of our defense; but when the defense broke down, it was a team effort.

• Fire 1

</p>

UCLA were the first expose everything that was wrong with our defense last year. Our lack of speed at LBs. They were killing us with the short drag route. Compton could not keep up. There's an argument there that UCLA was the better team that night IMO.

I did enjoy myself in Pasadena that day, and in West Hollywood that weekend.

What's crazy is Compton ran a 4.6 40 and still holds the record for fastest 10 yd run EVER at Nebraska.

I think Compton has become everyone's scapegoat for what was wrong with our defense. I think the breakdown actually happened at our defensive end position AND our outside linebackers.

Just based on what I saw, Compton picked up their RB when he came out of the back field to drag across the middle. And he just got cooked.

Correct

Some guys run well in pads and in real games- some not so well

40 times can be a little deceiving

Compton was giving good effort- no way did he have the "on grass" speed to cover the "shallow" pattern so many college teams are running these days

Absolutely. His game speed was definitely slower than his pro day 40 would suggest. Will was a solid player but some of the other coaches really exploited his weakness - covering/keeping up with people out in space.

Tackling 101

The play at 4:25 - :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: (one for each missed tackle)

At least Steinkuhler made a tackle - 54 yards downfield.

*Sigh*

At the time, that was the worst tackling I had ever seen. Then the Big Ten Championship game happened.

Tackling 101

This is still embarrassing. So many things to point out that weren't done correctly.

No joke,

-angles

-arm tackling

-putting your head down

-missed assignments

-cant shed blocks

-busted coverages

It's all there

But, on the other hand, the OL played like hell that game. The offense deserves SOME blame, because the turnovers did end up costing us.

Yeah they did. You would have like for them not to get into so many 3rd and long situations, where Ucla can speed rush and blitz (what they do best). Don't get me started on playcalling.

I was at the game the tackling was horrible and the motion of the RB killed them all day. The also had a huge match up advantage with that TE that is now gone. Nu was up 14-3 in the game and was moving the ball and then the drive stalled. We score at that point and make it 21-3 I think they may have packed it in, but they got the momentum and never let go.

The thing is we only lost by six and played terrible. That game was about as good as UCLA played all year. Everything went right for them and we still had a chance to win the game.

I was at the game the tackling was horrible and the motion of the RB killed them all day. The also had a huge match up advantage with that TE that is now gone. Nu was up 14-3 in the game and was moving the ball and then the drive stalled. We score at that point and make it 21-3 I think they may have packed it in, but they got the momentum and never let go.

The thing is we only lost by six and played terrible. That game was about as good as UCLA played all year. Everything went right for them and we still had a chance to win the game.

Not disputing everything you said, but they struck 1st on a wheel route to Fauria. The we answered with a run by Abdullah. I do agree their motion was baffling to the D.

But, on the other hand, the OL played like hell that game. The offense deserves SOME blame, because the turnovers did end up costing us.

Yes. For some odd reason in the 3rd quarter when the defense actually made stop after stop after stop after..... this incredible offense we had couldnt do a damn thing, when a couple scores woulda been enough to all but sew it up. Strange game.

Tackling 101

This is still embarrassing. So many things to point out that weren't done correctly.

My biggest gripe all season was Stafford's terrible tackling. I counted him in 4 plays on that video and he missed the tacklle on 3 of them. How was he the best we had? He was even below-average in pass coverage. A guy like O'Hanlon makes that a much better defense. Hopefully we've found some better fundamentals in the off-season.

Tackling 101

My biggest gripe all season was Stafford's terrible tackling. I counted him in 4 plays on that video and he missed the tacklle on 3 of them. How was he the best we had? He was even below-average in pass coverage. A guy like O'Hanlon makes that a much better defense. Hopefully we've found some better fundamentals in the off-season.

The 1:21 mark of that clip pretty much summed up his time at NU. Always flashy but often never solid.