Begin the season as The Blackshirts?

admo

If the point in the season when they are handed out doesn't make any difference in how the team plays, they why do you care if they are handed out at all? If our defense is going to be below average, do we just hand them out because its been done that way for 50 years? Or do you give them a tangible goal to work toward, even if they don't get all the way there?

Bo's way of continuing the tradition says you have to earn it. But most of the argument against it is basically that they are entitled to it. That seems exactly backwards of the Blackshirts spirit to me.

+1

Just hand 'em out at the beginning of the season to the starters. meaning, 11 guys get blackshirts. You can't have 20 starters or however many shirts Bo handed out last year.

You earn your shirt by getting a starting job. You earn the respect of the fans and your opponents by playing lights-out defense.

So again, Ciante Evans doesn't get a BlackShirt because we don't start in our nickel package. I'm sorry but I disagree with that.

I'll allow 12 for the nickel. But that's it.

So Alex Henery doesn't get one either??????? He did a ton with his directional punting for the defense and was given on his senior year.

Nope, hell no.

Just hand 'em out at the beginning of the season to the starters. meaning, 11 guys get blackshirts. You can't have 20 starters or however many shirts Bo handed out last year.

You earn your shirt by getting a starting job. You earn the respect of the fans and your opponents by playing lights-out defense.

So again, Ciante Evans doesn't get a BlackShirt because we don't start in our nickel package. I'm sorry but I disagree with that.

I'll allow 12 for the nickel. But that's it.

So Alex Henery doesn't get one either??????? He did a ton with his directional punting for the defense and was given on his senior year.

Nope, hell no.

You're wrong.

Bo's way of continuing the tradition says you have to earn it. But most of the argument against it is basically that they are entitled to it. That seems exactly backwards of the Blackshirts spirit to me.

I wouldn't say entitlted at all, and moreover, it isn't even a tangible reward to begin with. It's purely symbolic, a symbol of the might of the Nebraska Top Defense, a role which must every year be filled by those 11-15 guys (give or take) who must then aspire to be worthy of their standard. You ascend the throne, you wear the purple; now act like you're worthy of it. I'm a staunch believer in this hallowed tradition, but it's not the HC's job to run traditions per script even if he sees things a different way.

Clearly Bo is a superlative defensive coordinator and while these aren't Osborne's Blackshirts that we've always associated with the Nebraska D, they are the only thing they can be: Bo's defense. Admittedly, I'm a little disappointed that Bo doesn't embrace the blackshirt tradition, but tradition clearly only gets you so far.

Count me in the crowd that doesn't thinks you start the season with them ... but they can be taken away. The simple fact of the matter is, not every defense is going to be blackshirt caliber - and when they lose that - they lose their edge and the Blackshirt tradition is just a "given". I want it to be something more than that. And yes, I want them to feel ashamed and embarrassed with their performances if they have the blackshirts taken away from them.

Nope, hell no.

You're wrong.

You're welcome to elaborate

Taylor Martinez did some great things, going on long drives that kept the defense resting on the sideline...maybe we should give him a blackshirt too????

That's a really apt comparison.

If the point in the season when they are handed out doesn't make any difference in how the team plays, they why do you care if they are handed out at all? If our defense is going to be below average, do we just hand them out because its been done that way for 50 years? Or do you give them a tangible goal to work toward, even if they don't get all the way there?

Did you read any of the posts in this thread? Not one single person has said they are entitled to them. This whole idea that it's not a blackshirts defense unless they perform to some unknown standard, and therefore they aren't earned until some point determined by Bo, is the problem. I want them earned each and every day. The standard for earning it is being the best on the team at your starting position. It doesn't have anything to do with being as good as the 1993 unit or anything of the sort. That part of the equation comes about on it's own by being forced to compete daily for your blackshirt. It's just unfortunate when the D isn't very good but the best we have should still be considered the blackshirts.

• Fire 3

Count me in the crowd that doesn't thinks you start the season with them ... but they can be taken away. The simple fact of the matter is, not every defense is going to be blackshirt caliber - and when they lose that - they lose their edge and the Blackshirt tradition is just a "given". I want it to be something more than that. And yes, I want them to feel ashamed and embarrassed with their performances if they have the blackshirts taken away from them.

Well if I am in charge of administering the blackshirt program to your standards, the tradition is already dead. I have not given any out for two years and therefore have not had any to take away. Consequently everyone has forgotten about it and we're still stuck with a defense that sh#ts the bed on a regular basis. So what has that way achieved?

So...taking this whole thread in....does the 2009 defense qualify as a Blackshirt defense?! If not, and its not up to standards, why even have the Blackshirt tradition exist anymore?....

This is at the heart of the problem. Bo's way says it does or doesn't exist. And even when he determines it does exist there is ample evidence proving it does not. But, if starters are awarded blackshirts by week one, it always exists. It's just that it still might not be very good some years. That's always been the case.

So what would you rather have.....give the blackshirts out every year even though NEB's defense may stink...or stink it up a few games.....or wait to hand them out until they are earned. I think Bo has a decent grasp on the blackshirts tradition...that's the reason why he has players earn them. He knows that those past defenses were a thing of beauty, a beast that couldn't be stopped nor tamed against an opposing offense. At the end of the day, if NEB doesn't have a blackshirt-type caliber defense this year, does NEB even give them out? I feel that the blackshirt tradition is something very deep, something many young people of today (I'm only 27) would have trouble understanding. From trying to look at it from your perspective, I think the 2009 defense was representative of a blackshirt defense IN A WAY...but it still wasn't the caliber of old. A true blackshirt defense has a nastiness, callousness and persistence to stop anyone, any offense. It was not only a group of individuals who played football, but a group of men who were straight bad asses, gave off a perception of "unstoppable beings" in a way. They transcended any other defense in college football because they were on a different level. This is how I see and envision the blackshirts of old.

Well if I am in charge of administering the blackshirt program to your standards, the tradition is already dead. I have not given any out for two years and therefore have not had any to take away. Consequently everyone has forgotten about it and we're still stuck with a defense that sh#ts the bed on a regular basis. So what has that way achieved?

The tradition is dead until it is worthy of being revived. Furthermore, it is not dead or forgotten because A) tradition lasts in the memory longer than a 2 year gap. and B) I'd hang each blackshirt jersey up in the locker room for each player to stare at and put THEIR numbers on the back so they see what they do not have the honor of wearing.