2013 NFL Discussion Thread

Mavric

Not only is every stat in Peyton's favor (NY/A, ANY/A, TD%, INT%, etc) but Brady had the benefit of some ridiculous defenses and Bill Belichick. Meanwhile Peyton had to stumble through seasons with lolMora, Dungy (most overrated coach of all time) and LOLOLOLJimCaldwell.

Peyton on the Pats wins 6 Super Bowls.

Peyton's had the #1 seed many times (typically the indicator of best team) and failed to even win a game in the playoffs. Belichick was 36-44 before he got to NE, and his legacy was built the day Brady became his quarterback. If your best argument in the Manning v Brady argument is Belichick, then I can play the card that Brady is much better in big games. Neither really have much to back them except opinion.

Except, you know, all of the stats.

The point that I'm trying to make that as is Brady only trails Manning by a small margin in a per game basis, all while playing with an indisputably poorer supporting staff. Top that off with a much better playoff record, and two more Super Bowls. Brett Favre has a lot of bulk stats. Is he the greatest of all time?

Brett Favre's stats are not even in the same ballpark as Peyton's efficiency-wise

I hate the "sort by Super Bowls" narrative too. Trent Dilfer has the same number of Super Bowls as Peyton Manning, clearly they're equal! Nah, give me the largest possible sample size in order to give me the clearest picture. That means taking more than like 40 games into account, where variance tends to even out anyways. NFL playoffs are a massive variance-fest.

The point that I'm trying to make that as is Brady only trails Manning by a small margin in a per game basis, all while playing with an indisputably poorer supporting staff. Top that off with a much better playoff record, and two more Super Bowls. Brett Favre has a lot of bulk stats. Is he the greatest of all time?

I dunno. The Colts were pretty sh**ty for quite a few years before Manning got there. Then instantly became a playoff team with him.

I dunno. The Colts were pretty sh**ty for quite a few years before Manning got there. Then instantly became a playoff team with him.

Yeah, plus there's the whole Curtis Painter/Matt Cassel line of evidence. Colts drop to 2-14, Pats go 11-5.

Not only is every stat in Peyton's favor (NY/A, ANY/A, TD%, INT%, etc) but Brady had the benefit of some ridiculous defenses and Bill Belichick. Meanwhile Peyton had to stumble through seasons with lolMora, Dungy (most overrated coach of all time) and LOLOLOLJimCaldwell.

Holy sh#t you're ridiculous. I'm not going to take the time to look it up, but a couple weeks ago I heard that in Peyton's playoff losses, his offenses have only scored an average of 16 or 17 points. If that's accurate, then it blows your statements out of the water.

Peyton, very arguably greatest regular season QB of all time. But when it gets to the post-season, Brady >>>>>> Manning

Yes, let's keep cherry-picking stats based on some playoff narrative. I wonder how many points the Pats scored in Brady's playoff losses?

Like I said, the NFL Playoffs are a variance-fest. We're somehow going to base an entire career off of about 15-20 games? Tiny tiny sample size.

Holy sh#t you're ridiculous. I'm not going to take the time to look it up, but a couple weeks ago I heard that in Peyton's playoff losses, his offenses have only scored an average of 16 or 17 points. If that's accurate, then it blows your statements out of the water.

Peyton, very arguably greatest regular season QB of all time. But when it gets to the post-season, Brady >>>>>> Manning

Of course we'll never know, but I wonder if things would've been different if Peyton played for the Pats and Brady for the Colts/Broncos?

Of course we'll never know, but I wonder if things would've been different if Peyton played for the Pats and Brady for the Colts/Broncos?

This would be the ultimate experiment. Would love to have a universe simulator and run that simulation a couple million times to find out.

For what its worth:

Per Game Averages

Manning- 270 yds 2 td 0.9 int 65.5% (1 Super Bowl)

Brady- 257 yds 1.88 td 0.7 int 63.4 % (3 Super Bowls)

Manning played the majority of his career with the likes of Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Clark, and now Thomas/Decker/Welker/Thomas. Brady played the majority of his career with Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell, David Givens, with brief stints of Moss/Welker/Hernandez/Gronkowiski.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I agree. But something that's missing from this discussion is the quality of teams that Manning and Brady have played on. Hint, hint, Tom Brady has been on the better team moreso than Manning.

This would be the ultimate experiment. Would love to have a universe simulator and run that simulation a couple million times to find out.

I think Manning would actually be more valuable to bad teams. Sure he'd be great on a good team. But he made a bad team much better. Like having a coach right on the field. His audibles heal a lot of offensive deficits. IMO.

Brady got one year with a good set of weapons around him. With Randy Moss on his team, he took his team with a marginal defense at best within a minute of winning a super bowl and finishing the season 19-0. But somehow Eli Manning had to have Jesus Christ take control of his body, with aide of probably the best and meanest defense in the NFL that year and knocked them off in the super bowl. THAT was an incredible season.