2013 NFL Discussion Thread

Mavric

Has Jim Harbaugh Worn Out His Welcome In San Francisco?

The Mercury News' Tim Kawakami has been reporting for months on a rift in the Niners front office. There is a clash of personalities between Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke (the two, it was reported yesterday, are barely on speaking terms), and between Harbaugh and team president Paraag Marathe.

Harbaugh, who has input but not final say in personnel matters, has repeatedly clashed with Baalke on organizational moves, with some of those disputes spilling over into public statements. Kawakami cites quite a few, including Harbaugh saying the Niners would bring in former Stanford fullback Owen Marecic (they didn't) and statements that the team should give new deals to players like Donte Whitner, Phil Dawson, and Dashon Goldson. On the other side, Baalke reportedly believed Aldon Smith would see very little of the field when he returned with a DUI and substance abuse arrest hanging over his head; Harbaugh played him every snap.

This is about power, and it's about money. Harbaugh has two years left on his five-year, $25 million deal. For a coach with three straight deep postseason runs, he is underpaid. The dispute is on just how underpaid he is.

I'm probably not in the majority, but I like those new unis.

So what's everybody's thoughts on the NFL banning the N-word? After taking time to think about it, I definitely side with Richard Sherman's views on the issue. More-so than that, why try to regulate every little thing? This is just stepping over the line of what the NFL should be worried about IMO.

I'm probably not in the majority, but I like those new unis.

So what's everybody's thoughts on the NFL banning the N-word? After taking time to think about it, I definitely side with Richard Sherman's views on the issue. More-so than that, why try to regulate every little thing? This is just stepping over the line of what the NFL should be worried about IMO.

I'm not a fan but in all fairness Tampa has never had nice uniforms and these aren't a huge downgrade. I think it's hard to work with their color scheme and logos.

The N-word thing? I don't really care. Not sure why they're focusing on the NFL, I don't think I've ever heard it used by a player in a TV broadcast though I'm sure players on these teams say it. If their goal is to make the word unacceptable or less common then they should focus on the mediums by which people are exposed to it and have learned to think of it as cool or acceptable: mainly TV, Film and Music.

It's probably just their first step in making the Redskins changed their name.

I agree with him that it will be difficult to enforce and if you ban this word why are they not banning all curse words.

I disagree with his stance that because it is a common word used among mostly black players in the locker room that it should be left alone.

Is Jimmy Graham A Tight End? It'll Cost Him $5.3 Million

The Saints slapped a franchise tag on Jimmy Graham, allowing them to keep him for one season without negotiating a new deal. But Graham has been designated a tight end; he believes he's a receiver. This is not an academic point: there is more than $5 million at stake.

The tag works this way: A franchise player's salary is prescribed as the average of the five-highest paid players at that position the previous season. Receivers naturally make more than tight ends. The average of the five highest-paid WRs last year was $12.312 million. For the top TEs, it was $7.035 million. Graham wants to be considered a receiver to get the significantly higher payout.

The position designation didn't come from the Saints, who would obviously tag him as a punter if they could. Graham is a tight end according to the NFL Management Council, who sets these designations. But Graham can fight this. The NFLPA is expected to file a grievance on his behalf as early as today, at which point his case will be heard by an arbitrator, and then, perhaps, an appeals panel.