Has Bo had a pissed off post-practice presser yet?

If professional respect means anything, TJ could have coached at a few SEC schools had he not wanted to be here.

That's a good point. Just thinking back on our safety play last year makes me cringe.

i feel the same way but again the talent was not there. stafford could lay the wood but he still has not wrapped anyone up yet. dont get me started on pj smith. it cant get much worse then that. the secondary looked bad at times last year because they were being asked to cover guy for .10 + seconds because the pass rush could not do anything. when we had any pass rush our secondary was very good. and that is not only when tj was here but could be said for any secondary coach in football. again i agree with you that our safeties last year were god awful last year at times but tj cant be on the field to make the plays for the guys. we ask a lot from our safeties. if o'hanlan can do it surely we can find another body to do the same.

Green is a better than average corner. His issue is he doesn't have or doesnt appear to have the natural "timing" down to make a play on the ball. Not saying he doesn't make the play because of it but he'll often jump a little too soon for an INT and then miss and the guy ends up with the ball and he ends up out of place and has to make the hard tackle.

CJax is just a very gifted athlete. Once he has the technique down and the concepts from TJ who is considered a very good teacher which is why he's a great coach (plus he's a good recruiter) CJax will be very very hard to make a play against. He has the ability to quickly get up in run support should the play go that direction or recover and help on pass protection. Its just a matter of knowing all the working parts of the defense and who's going where on what plays. It takes time to learn what every guy in front of you is supposed to do and how to realize that someone didn't get it done. He'll play faster as he knows more.

What do you think of moving Green to safety?

Green is a better than average corner. His issue is he doesn't have or doesnt appear to have the natural "timing" down to make a play on the ball. Not saying he doesn't make the play because of it but he'll often jump a little too soon for an INT and then miss and the guy ends up with the ball and he ends up out of place and has to make the hard tackle.

CJax is just a very gifted athlete. Once he has the technique down and the concepts from TJ who is considered a very good teacher which is why he's a great coach (plus he's a good recruiter) CJax will be very very hard to make a play against. He has the ability to quickly get up in run support should the play go that direction or recover and help on pass protection. Its just a matter of knowing all the working parts of the defense and who's going where on what plays. It takes time to learn what every guy in front of you is supposed to do and how to realize that someone didn't get it done. He'll play faster as he knows more.

I'm good with it. I want the best guys on the field that the other guys can trust so they can all do their job. Our biggest issue on D this year is the FS. Green would probably start at corner or at least be in that conversation and the first back up but we've got good depth there. He's being pretty selfless and moving so we can try to fix that hole. CJackson will get up to speed he's only been in that slot a year and is young. By mid season I'd hope he'd be good to go and that would give us two ones in reality and give us about 4 guys that could start at the corner on any given day. I think Gerry will play there a lot eventually too at the Safety spot since he's already the guy in the dime package. Him seeing reps at LB is about getting ready for the spread teams we face this year and having quick fast guys all over the field to make plays. We get the push I think we will get this year from the Dline and I think the D will be closer to Bo year 2 than we were the last couple years.

I'm good with it. I want the best guys on the field that the other guys can trust so they can all do their job. Our biggest issue on D this year is the FS. Green would probably start at corner or at least be in that conversation and the first back up but we've got good depth there. He's being pretty selfless and moving so we can try to fix that hole. CJackson will get up to speed he's only been in that slot a year and is young. By mid season I'd hope he'd be good to go and that would give us two ones in reality and give us about 4 guys that could start at the corner on any given day. I think Gerry will play there a lot eventually too at the Safety spot since he's already the guy in the dime package. Him seeing reps at LB is about getting ready for the spread teams we face this year and having quick fast guys all over the field to make plays. We get the push I think we will get this year from the Dline and I think the D will be closer to Bo year 2 than we were the last couple years.

Half mast, again.

• Fire 1

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the Dline. I haven't been able to see a practice so its just a feeling I got from talking with a coach (who's usually optimistic by nature), comments in the press from Bo and a friend who's seen practice. But if we get two guys pretty banged up early in the year that all changes. The margin between good and bad is thicker than last year but not like 4 yrs ago. So...I will still take the opportunity to say I was wrong about the Dline if I get there an see for myself my info was wrong.

Just curious - it's well talked-about that Bo's defense is more complicated than most. From what I've read, most of that has to do with everyone doing exactly their job so the entire defense meshes together. If that is true, is it possible (likely?) that our defense also has a better understanding of what other positions around them are supposed to be doing and thus makes it easier to switch from one position to another?

Random thoughts this afternoon....

My issue with Green is exactly what you said da Skers. I realize that he was a big part of why we were where we where last year, but that first long pass in the Georgia game where he had his hand on the whole ball only to not make the play really killed us IMO. I have always thought he was a natural safety though, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh with my statement.

Just curious - it's well talked-about that Bo's defense is more complicated than most. From what I've read, most of that has to do with everyone doing exactly their job so the entire defense meshes together. If that is true, is it possible (likely?) that our defense also has a better understanding of what other positions around them are supposed to be doing and thus makes it easier to switch from one position to another?

Random thoughts this afternoon....

Its probably not that hard. Its concept based and each group has a response to the action of the offense and the other groups on D. The issue were we go from being good to a pile of crap is that they stop trusting the other guy and try to over compensate and that creates weaknesses the other team takes advantages of. I guess its like that in every defense, but it seems like our guys have been extra good at break downs the past 2 1/2 years. I think part of it has to do with coaching turn over. Each guy likes a little different technique executed inside the concepts plus guys aren't always communicating with a new coach the same way as the old one. It just take some time to understand that and trust each other.

Just a random thought, but since we're talking about the defense:

The defense has to get off the field on 3rd down this year. This is the one area the past 2 years that has really killed us. Honestly in a lot of games the defense was pretty good on 1st and 2nd down, but then something would break down on 3rd down and the opponents' drive would continue. It will be especially important for this young defense to get off the field on 3rd down, not only will it help keep them fresh, but obviously it'll get our offense back on the field.

Just something to keep an eye on...