Has Bo had a pissed off post-practice presser yet?

Warrior10

Gerry is the starter in the Dime package. As you can see from last night they're also looking at him in other places. But I don't think thats going to be something we see with regularity. The other day he was described as having a "Ronnie Lott" mentality.

With Gerry (speed, athleticism) as a true freshman starting at the Dime package, da skers, do you think in some way that the Wiscy CCG loss made the coaches really think about team speed on defense and their approach with getting young players that have the speed on the field? Do you think there was some shift in coache's willingness to try out new things (i.e. play fast/athletic players even if they are young) this year after that disastrous loss? It would be cool to get your 2 cents on this.....

Warrior10

Gerry is the starter in the Dime package. As you can see from last night they're also looking at him in other places. But I don't think thats going to be something we see with regularity. The other day he was described as having a "Ronnie Lott" mentality.

With Gerry (speed, athleticism) as a true freshman starting at the Dime package, da skers, do you think in some way that the Wiscy CCG loss made the coaches really think about team speed on defense and their approach with getting young players that have the speed on the field? Do you think there was some shift in coache's willingness to try out new things (i.e. play fast/athletic players even if they are young) this year after that disastrous loss? It would be cool to get your 2 cents on this.....

I think that the CCG was the nail in the coffin. It was a very grim look at what happens when guys are just a little out of position and dont have the athleticism to make up for it. It was always preached how LaVonte David made some many mistakes his first year, but my land, if that's mistakes I'll take 'em. But we all know he had the speed and instincts to make up for it. Our guys on D last year did not. Clearly did not. So I think the philosophy is now that weather they know it or not, there has to be speed on the field. If we have to simplify to cater to them, so be it. If they make a mistake here and there so be it.

I know you were asking da'skers, but I just wanted to toss in my thoughts anyway.

Warrior10

I think that the CCG was the nail in the coffin. It was a very grim look at what happens when guys are just a little out of position and dont have the athleticism to make up for it. It was always preached how LaVonte David made some many mistakes his first year, but my land, if that's mistakes I'll take 'em. But we all know he had the speed and instincts to make up for it. Our guys on D last year did not. Clearly did not. So I think the philosophy is now that weather they know it or not, there has to be speed on the field. If we have to simplify to cater to them, so be it. If they make a mistake here and there so be it.

I know you were asking da'skers, but I just wanted to toss in my thoughts anyway.

That's what I am thinking as well.......the coaches were thinking about those same points in some way.

Warrior10

Thanks, glad to see Gerry actually getting on the field instead of just in the hype.

Sipple implied the media access was cut back because of the booster that may or may not have been critical of Bo.

Tension in NU's preseason camp is nature of beast

No strange tweets from Peter Gammons.

:dunno

Apparently I don't remember that part.

A bit further into the article it goes into more detail. It was in regards to the Bubba Starling decision

Sipple implied the media access was cut back because of the booster that may or may not have been critical of Bo.

Tension in NU's preseason camp is nature of beast

No strange tweets from Peter Gammons.

:dunno

Apparently I don't remember that part.

A bit further into the article it goes into more detail. It was in regards to the Bubba Starling decision

Yeah, I posted before I read the entire thing. Still don't really remember that happening but obviously it did. At least that it concerned a baseball player makes sense. I couldn't figure out why Peter Gammons would have anything to say about Nebraska football.

Warrior10

Gerry is just that good and football smart to boot. The CCG was just a good example of one guy having the worst game of his life so he stopped trusting what he was asked to do and the other guys gave up on him and then tried to over compensate. Total Nuclear Meltdown. And we didn't have a healthy backup worth two beans at the time because of that.

Two things:

1) Why are people questioning Green's ball skills? He has enough to have started at CB for several games last year. He and Evans were easily the best tacklers in the secondary (maybe the whole team), so I think it makes sense to try him at safety.

2) Why all the love for CJax at safety? He had some good special teams plays, but could barely crack the defensive lineup last year. He did worse in ball skills IMO than Green, so why should he be a safety?

Two things:

1) Why are people questioning Green's ball skills? He has enough to have started at CB for several games last year. He and Evans were easily the best tacklers in the secondary (maybe the whole team), so I think it makes sense to try him at safety.

2) Why all the love for CJax at safety? He had some good special teams plays, but could barely crack the defensive lineup last year. He did worse in ball skills IMO than Green, so why should he be a safety?

I keep getting visions of Green getting smoked in the Wiscy and Georgia game.

Two things:

I keep getting visions of Green getting smoked in the Wiscy and Georgia game.

I don't remember him getting smoked but haven't rewatched those games in a while. I remember the DB's being in good position for the Georgia game, Murray and his receivers just made plays. The Wisky CCG is a blur...

Green is not all that athletic. He did a fine job the last couple of years, but we have a lot better players at the CB position now, so he's about 3rd or 4th string at CB.

I can't get past that play in the Georgia game where Green got burnt. It was fundamentally wrong in every aspect. After the receiver blew by him, he locates the ball to late and just kind of flails at it. He must have made slight contact or at least thought he made contact with the ball, but it wasn't enough and the receiver caught it. My biggest problem was at that point, when Green knew he either had a play on the ball or the reciever, yet he didn't even attempt to tackle the receiver? Didn't even try? By the time Green realized the receiver caught the ball, the guy had pulled away. Boneheaded f'ing' play. Of course, the other bone head was P.J. Smith for collapsing on an under route when Stafford was already playing shallow. Smith allowed the reciever fifteen yards behind him before he realized he f'd up.