Learning Bo's Defense

Well if talent really is a huge issue, it won't be the excuse this year. Also, although these players don't have a lot of game experience, which shouldn't be under appreciated, still they do have time in the program learning the system. So again, no excuses. We should really have a hell of a defense.

This year, it'll be the youth on defense.

I had a good PM convo with Mr. A and a very similar one with OregonHusker about rebuilding this program and how it hasn't been a small task.

For those of you who have had the opportunity to speak to someone that played in the 90s or the Solich era ask them what it was like when Cally and Pedy were here.

Bo has had to rebuild more than anyone of us will know or even imagine. It hasn't been a small task. Whenever you have multiple guys from the 90s cancel their season tickets because of the way they were treated during that era you have an issue.

For you Red who is always bringing up Osborne and McBride (which I have no issue with), you should know it is about the process and the journey. Isn't that what Osborne would say? Remember? I wouldn't know. I don't even know what it means to be a BlackShirt according to some.

Or read this new book, Anatomy of an Era. I know i preach that a lot too. But seriously, want some perspective and insight on the things it takes for Nebraska to be great outside of x's and o's and stars on rivals? Just read the book. I'm 200 pages in, and it's mind boggling what these former players, trainers, nutritionists, weightroom secretaries, etc etc etc have to say. And all the special stuff was completely thrown out the window in 2003. Even Boyd Epley talks about how Callahan brought in some Kennedy fellow for strength and cond, and he screwed up 30 years of Boyd's work. Completely changed everything to what you DONT do when training for football, and it showed on teh field. And so on and so on.

I've had it up to here with the hypocrisy. The people like the this who demand things be one way are the first ones to bring up Osborne and McBride. If you know anything about Osborne as people claim that they do ( and accused me of not knowing) he wasn't about the end result (granted I'm sure he didn't mind winning championships), what you heard from him was that it was about the process and the journey.

Bo has had to rebuild more than any one of us know. He signed up for the job and he's doing a damn good job of rebuilding the process.

Well if talent really is a huge issue, it won't be the excuse this year. Also, although these players don't have a lot of game experience, which shouldn't be under appreciated, still they do have time in the program learning the system. So again, no excuses. We should really have a hell of a defense.

At Nebraska and LSU, Pelini's best defenses had dominant interior linemen (Glenn Dorsey, Ndamukong Suh). This is something he's been knocked for by fans and media in the past, as many believe his defense struggles without a dominant interior linemen.

Also, as I said in my post, the less NFL talent Pelini has had on his team the less successful his defenses have been. We got progressively worse on defense since '09, and the '12 Husker defense was devoid of almost any playmakers and essentially no NFL talent in the upperclassmen echelons.

Regardless of talent, Pelini has an obligation to make his whole team as good as possible. I'm in no way saying recent team problems are entirely due to talent issues, but I think they've played a significant role. At least, much more of a role than learning the scheme.

Hey EZ, trust me when I tell you that I probably appreciate the WAY Bo does things as much as anybody. As far as "the process" goes. It can't be easy doing things the "right" way now a days in college football. Bo is raising good young men, strong academic standards, and is breeding success on and off the football field. I won't knock him for that ever. But if you are smart enough to understand this side of the game and this part of being a righteous HC, then you have to be able to wrap your mind around the thoughts of the average Husker fan that wants to win games. Especially the big ones.

There's nothing easy about doing things the right way and winning at the same time. Expectations are high at Nebraska. We should be used to that by now. Some of us thought Bo might have us a little further at this point is all. But hey, I think the guy deserves plenty of time to figure it out. I won't ever abandon the hope that he figures it out soon though.

At Nebraska and LSU, Pelini's best defenses had dominant interior linemen (Glenn Dorsey, Ndamukong Suh). This is something he's been knocked for by fans and media in the past, as many believe his defense struggles without a dominant interior linemen.

Also, as I said in my post, the less NFL talent Pelini has had on his team the less successful his defenses have been. We got progressively worse on defense since '09, and the '12 Husker defense was devoid of almost any playmakers and essentially no NFL talent in the upperclassmen echelons.

Regardless of talent, Pelini has an obligation to make his whole team as good as possible. I'm in no way saying recent team problems are entirely due to talent issues, but I think they've played a significant role. At least, much more of a role than learning the scheme.

Not trying to come across as an ass but couldn't this be said about pretty much any defense? Would Bama, or LSU have near as dominate defenses if they didnt have ridiculous amounts of NFL caliber players?

BUT I do agree with you that his defenses definitely need a dominate interior lineman, and that lack have talent has been a way bigger issue than the difficulty of the scheme.

Hey EZ, trust me when I tell you that I probably appreciate the WAY Bo does things as much as anybody. As far as "the process" goes. It can't be easy doing things the "right" way now a days in college football. Bo is raising good young men, strong academic standards, and is breeding success on and off the football field. I won't knock him for that ever. But if you are smart enough to understand this side of the game and this part of being a righteous HC, then you have to be able to wrap your mind around the thoughts of the average Husker fan that wants to win games. Especially the big ones.

There's nothing easy about doing things the right way and winning at the same time. Expectations are high at Nebraska. We should be used to that by now. Some of us thought Bo might have us a little further at this point is all. But hey, I think the guy deserves plenty of time to figure it out. I won't ever abandon the hope that he figures it out soon though.

It seems you've been pretty angry with your posts the last few weeks. I'm seeing nothing to this point to be upset about. I feel the culture Bo took this job to create is really starting to take off. The Brown/Suttles incident is going to be looked at as a huge team unifying thing.

Not trying to come across as an ass but couldn't this be said about pretty much any defense? Would Bama, or LSU have near as dominate defenses if they didnt have ridiculous amounts of NFL caliber players?

BUT I do agree with you that his defenses definitely need a dominate interior lineman, and that lack have talent has been a way bigger issue than the difficulty of the scheme.

The statement all off-season has been "Bo's defenses are good when he has talented players."

I think if people actually took the time to listen to themselves talk they'd know that they've gone Full-WiFi on this.

Bo's defenses are good when the talent is good enough to overcome the coaching.

If I could post that picture of the entire staff laughing at practice that always makes the tunnel walk of shame from my phone I would. This could quite potentially be one of the worst posts I've seen.

I really hope I'm missing the sarcasm.

I should have worded this a bit differently. Obviously, if you don't have much NFL talent then your defense probably won't be very good. The more appropriate way to explain my view point is that Pelini's defenses have gotten worse and worse since '09. Suh left and we noticed his loss, but still had a pretty solid group. Then Hagg, Gomes and Amukamara left in '10. Then last year, we lost David.

So yes, although it is a 'well, duh' statement saying the less NFL talent, the worse the defense, it's more of an attempt to draw attention to the overall lack of talent we've put on the field. A lack that needs to improve quite a bit if we want to be successful.

Furthermore, we can have great defense without a dominant interior linemen like Suh or Dorsey. For me, this is where I think Pelini needs to make strides. We can have greatness without a Suh in our line, but we haven't seen greatness without that type of Herculean effort.

Furthermore, we can have great defense without a dominant interior linemen like Suh or Dorsey. For me, this is where I think Pelini needs to make strides. We can have greatness without a Suh in our line, but we haven't seen greatness without that type of Herculean effort.

I'm not sure that's going to change. Even McBride had great interior DL talent on his best defenses. We don't need another super star like Suh (we'd obviously take him), but we need some bodies like LeKevin Smith and Ryan Bingham. I think losing Crick during 2010 is when the D started to regress.

Yeah I mean having another Suh would be great, but we just need better than what we've got without thinking we need another Suh. I forgot to mention Crick, but his is an odd story. He did well in 2010 and then 2011 was a rough year that involved an injury. But, having another Crick would help immensely too. What became obvious after 2011 though is that our front seven talent just slowly got worse and worse. Many of the players surrounding Crick were ones that played in 2012, and the 2012 line wasn't very good at all. This says to me Crick was probably doing a lot on his own without getting much help around him.

Yeah I mean having another Suh would be great, but we just need better than what we've got without thinking we need another Suh. I forgot to mention Crick, but his is an odd story. He did well in 2010 and then 2011 was a rough year that involved an injury. But, having another Crick would help immensely too. What became obvious after 2011 though is that our front seven talent just slowly got worse and worse. Many of the players surrounding Crick were ones that played in 2012, and the 2012 line wasn't very good at all. This says to me Crick was probably doing a lot on his own without getting much help around him.

I think the injuries in 2012 really hurt us by depleting the little depth that we had on the DL. I don't think the talent was bad, it was just average and didn't have a playmaker like Crick or David to make a play when they needed it. Then the injuries just made it worse.

I think the injuries in 2012 really hurt us by depleting the little depth that we had on the DL. I don't think the talent was bad, it was just average and didn't have a playmaker like Crick or David to make a play when they needed it. Then the injuries just made it worse.

Well, the talent was pretty lacking AND injuries hurt. Not a good combination.