Taylor Martinez opens up

knapplc

I've always felt Martinez was one of the best players on our team, and I still feel this way. He has exceptional speed, clearly put the work in to become a better passer and always played hard. Even with the fumbling issues, he's a damn good player.

He'll go down as one of the best quarterbacks in Nebraska history. A lot of that has to do with being a four year starter and racking up the stats, but he's a phenomenal player in my eyes. And we've never lost a game due to him. Sure, he had his bad games, but he's also played with some monumental challenges. 2012 was the first year I thought he had a respectable offensive line. 2012 and 2011 were plagued by average-to-poor defensive play. 2010 was marred with injury and a fickle offense across the board.

If Martinez had been surrounded by a better team from the beginning, his legacy probably would have been filled with some conference trophies and maybe even serious Heisman consideration beyond his freshman year. Such is not the case, which is too bad. I've always felt for the guy, and I can't wait to see what he does this year.

He truly is a spectacular Husker.

Maybe Wisconsin 2011... Those back to back to back INT's really killed us. I don't blame Martinez though. He was doing everything he could to win that game for us. Probably too much. I really hope this is the year he wins a CCG for his legacy. A bowl win will go a long way too. College football starts today! Finally!

Zach Taylor gets a lot of credit for holding N together during some rocky years. Deservedly so.

But the fact Bo has stuck by Martin-ez for 4 straight years, basically saying "we will be with him no matter what" deserves a lot of kudos, even more than ZT.

How many dozens of position swithces has there been all over the 2-deep? Yet with TM, for better or worse, he has been our guy while Bo and the staff has figured a lot else out.

After TM got hurt agaisnt mizzery and still showed up every week (putting aside his future health. Heisman hype, etc) and just balled out--I've been a huge fan of his and knew he was our guy leading Bo to his next 5 yrs--which to me are important than the 1st five.

I put TM into my top 7 players last 15 years EASY.

Well to be honest, Bo really didn't have a choice since all of our back-ups didn't really size up to what they should have been.

That is simply not true. WE had a healthy Zac Lee who would have been more than adequate. Bo went off on a tangent and he screwed the OC at the same time. I guess you missed the Holiday Bowl.

No we didn't. Zac had an injury similar to what D Rob had last year.

I've always felt Martinez was one of the best players on our team, and I still feel this way. He has exceptional speed, clearly put the work in to become a better passer and always played hard. Even with the fumbling issues, he's a damn good player.

He'll go down as one of the best quarterbacks in Nebraska history. A lot of that has to do with being a four year starter and racking up the stats, but he's a phenomenal player in my eyes. And we've never lost a game due to him. Sure, he had his bad games, but he's also played with some monumental challenges. 2012 was the first year I thought he had a respectable offensive line. 2012 and 2011 were plagued by average-to-poor defensive play. 2010 was marred with injury and a fickle offense across the board.

If Martinez had been surrounded by a better team from the beginning, his legacy probably would have been filled with some conference trophies and maybe even serious Heisman consideration beyond his freshman year. Such is not the case, which is too bad. I've always felt for the guy, and I can't wait to see what he does this year.

Maybe Wisconsin 2011... Those back to back to back INT's really killed us. I don't blame Martinez though. He was doing everything he could to win that game for us. Probably too much. I really hope this is the year he wins a CCG for his legacy. A bowl win will go a long way too. College football starts today! Finally!

NU wasn't beating Wisky in 2011, Russell Wilson and Co. could have named the score against NU that night.

NU wasn't beating Wisky in 2011, Russell Wilson and Co. could have named the score against NU that night.

Except that we were ahead of them with a couple minutes to go in the half.

• Fire 1

The game looked pretty even until the string of INT's. I say this as a huge and one of the earliest Martinez supporters on here.

The game looked pretty even until the string of INT's. I say this as a huge and one of the earliest Martinez supporters on here.

Let's just say, arguendo, that we can put that loss entirely on Martinez. Even if true, that means he's lost us one game out of 39. That's not terrible.

Kind of surprised there's been no negative comments for once. *fingers crossed*

There's still a lot of haters in the fan base, I bitch out my buddy and his girlfriend for being stupid CCG night, but here on Huskerboard I think they are few and far between now. Hell even Zoogies seems likes him now.

Fun fact:

Naysayers will claim Taylor's stats are only due to volume of games played.... well, to date he has only played one more game than Eric Crouch (including MU, A&M, ISU and OU with a bum leg).

I've heard that a lot too - that Taylor only owns some of these records because he's the only four year starter we've ever had. But Taylor broke the total offense record in the Michigan State game, just nine games into his junior season.

Taylor sure has grown on me over his career. I'm really pulling for the kid now. He's put in the work. He's given four years to this program. It's time for him to get that win that will cement his name in people's Husker memories. A win over Ohio St. In the BTC game sounds like a good one.

• Fire 1

I know we talk a lot about Tmart getting slammed and being underappreciated, but going by a rough sampling of HuskerBoard.com, my circle of friends, pre-season Heisman handicapping and coverage on BTN and ESPN, a clear majority consider Martinez one of the most exciting players in all of college football right now, and think the Huskers are lucky to have him.

The praise also comes with acknowledgement of his turnover problems, and that's a perfectly legitimate issue.

Last I checked Taylor Martinez has one more season to put it all together. Looks like January '14 will be a good time to appraise his legacy.

• Fire 1

Taylor deserves all the support we can give him. Believe his success this 4th year will depend on NU controlling the game and NOT putting Martinez into a position where he has to rescue the team from a disaster. Last year he had 20 turnovers (8 lost fumbles & 12 ints). Despite this he often overcame the mistakes and engineered some amazing come-backs.