602 yds!!!!!!

mwj98

Is it just me or was the middle of the field open to run through pretty much the entire game? I had flashes of the 2012 B1G championship game against Wisconsin.................."Uh, hey coach? You think we should put someone in the middle of the field?" "They seem to be running there A LOT!"

This is equally if not more important to figure out as getting pressure on the quarterback and disrupting an offensive rhythm. It's not just this year, either - it's been a consistent problem the last three. Opponents continually find ways to attack the middle of NU's defense for huge chunks of yards. The D-line isn't getting penetration or disrupting the LOS, which allows opposing running backs access to NU's second level defense where there's no linebacker in position to make an early tackle.

NU is obviously young at the most important part of the defense - the front seven. But, 600 yards? To Wyoming? Slice it any way you like - that's unacceptable. I trust Pelini knows how to coach a defense, but be it talent, experience, or his assistants, there's something wonky there and it's worse than it should be.

Offense had their issues last night, but this one is mostly on the D. Just look at the drive chart for Wyoming. They suffered one three and out. Just one. Then there's a smatter of six play drives, five play drives, eight plays, seven plays, six plays, eight plays... It goes beyond Cosgrovian.

Every time I watch us play, I wonder why the opponents seem to have 5+ people around the ball at all times... especially in the backfield. You can't tell me that Wyoming has better athletes than we do, right? It seems that if our coaches just said, "go out there and get the guy with the ball," our defense would do better than they do now. As it stands, None of our players are ever in the backfield, and we're lucky if there is one guy where the ball is. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

So our defense is just awful, and our offensive line isn't giving me a lot of confidence either. We'll be embarrassed at least three more times this year and that makes me sad.

Someone should make a Heisman video of all the QBs we've made look like trophy winners. It's pretty sickening.

Fire JP and make Zaimejs the new DC!

I don't know about such statements, jimmy. That supposes we have everything going with the players and the coaches and then during the game, we just got beaten. I don't really think that is the case. It's more likely, in my view, that the staff has difficulty with getting their players to execute. Which is more concerning as it is more systemic.

Is it not getting the right players in or not being able to coach the group? Either or a combination of both is possible. But while this sounds more serious of a problem, it's also one where if/when the light bulb comes on for our guys, it will really come on. At least I think we can say we're not dealing with a bunch of amateur coaches who constantly get outschemed.

OK, I don't know. That viewpoint might be tough to defend. But I'll cling to it :lol:

I can't stress this enough; this result was NOT the result of having young or inexperienced players on defense. The coaches having them playing a scheme that virtually prevents three and outs. It's a bend until you break scheme and it sucks. Even in this debacle I could see we were more athletic than any time in the past two years.

I'm not calling for coaches heads because we aren't that bad. Problem is we also aren't very good. Bo and Paps have to change this passive BS defense. I believe we'll get better but we won't get good enough without significant changes in how we approach defense and with how we make in game adjustments. I have agreed with Bo in the past when he would say guys just didn't make plays. His similar comments tonight miss the mark and were totally classless. It was the coaches that were in position but failed to allow them to make the play. Get some f'ing pressure on the quarterback. Do these jokers know what a blitz is? The poor D linemen looked like they wanted to go after Smith but would back peddle to the LOS, apparently in some ill conceived effort to "contain" their patch of grass. This is not a youth/experience issue. It is structural.

This^. Year 6 it is not the following top excuses:

Not BO's staff

New coordinators

Not Bo's players

New Year in Conference

Guys not recruited for this type of XXXXXXXX

Not athletic

Not big enough/fast enough

The BS excuses are over. It is a coaching/scheme issue plain and simple. Bo and this staff need to own up and fix it. I am sick of hearing that guys were in position, they just didn't execute. Benning and Crouch did a great last night showing over and again how the man match with safety "brackets" opens ourselves to issues. now imagine we play a team with a) depth and b) better talent

Offenses evolve and D's need to evolve with it. We haven't. Bo now owns 4 of our top 10 blowouts and some thing its not scheme or coaching? Clemson knocked off LSU and UGA with the 2 highest paid coordinators in college. Not a coincidence........

If the staff refuses to make schematic changes, I can see us dropping 5-6 games and the staff (possibly Bo) being gone next year.

Is it just me or was the middle of the field open to run through pretty much the entire game? I had flashes of the 2012 B1G championship game against Wisconsin.................."Uh, hey coach? You think we should put someone in the middle of the field?" "They seem to be running there A LOT!"

This is equally if not more important to figure out as getting pressure on the quarterback and disrupting an offensive rhythm. It's not just this year, either - it's been a consistent problem the last three. Opponents continually find ways to attack the middle of NU's defense for huge chunks of yards. The D-line isn't getting penetration or disrupting the LOS, which allows opposing running backs access to NU's second level defense where there's no linebacker in position to make an early tackle.

NU is obviously young at the most important part of the defense - the front seven. But, 600 yards? To Wyoming? Slice it any way you like - that's unacceptable. I trust Pelini knows how to coach a defense, but be it talent, experience, or his assistants, there's something wonky there and it's worse than it should be.

Offense had their issues last night, but this one is mostly on the D. Just look at the drive chart for Wyoming. They suffered one three and out. Just one. Then there's a smatter of six play drives, five play drives, eight plays, seven plays, six plays, eight plays... It goes beyond Cosgrovian.

Crouch or Bennig said last night against spread teams (when we have one LB) they will motion or delay a drag across the middle. If the LB goes on the motion, they run counters to the hole. If the LB stays, they were delaying the RB or TE to hold until the LB commits and then drop their guy into the middle. Even against traditional teams, they find ways to motion or line up that has our LB's in our match schemes pull themselves right out of the plays.

Last night, IMO, Gerry's speed and athleticism allowed him to get back and make some plays. Much like David a few years ago. He was athletic enough to succeed IN SPITE OF the scheme we use.

Interesting Stat

Top 10 Total Offense Games Against Nebraska

NU Opponent, Date (Attempts) Yards

1. at Oklahoma, Nov. 24, 1956 (85 att.) 656

2. at UCLA, Sept. 8, 2012 (94 att.) 653

3. Wisconsin, Dec. 1, 2012 (60 att.) 640

4. Notre Dame, Oct. 16, 1948 (81 att.) 620

5. Washington, Sept. 21, 1991 (87 att.) 618

6. Ball State, Sept. 22, 2007 (79 att.) 610

7. at Missouri, Oct. 6, 2007 (85 att.) 606

8. Wyoming, Aug 31, 2013 - 603

8. Georgia, Jan. 1, 2013 (71 att.) 589

9. at Colorado, Nov. 23, 2001 (77 att.) 582

10. at Oklahoma, Nov. 20, 1954 (80 att.) 577

3 games consecutively in the Top 10 most yards allowed.Cosgrove's pathetic defense in 2007 wasn't that bad. UCLA will be Bo's litmus test for the season. If they get over 600 again on us, then this is going to be one long year that Bo may not survive.

Interesting Stat

Top 10 Total Offense Games Against Nebraska

NU Opponent, Date (Attempts) Yards

1. at Oklahoma, Nov. 24, 1956 (85 att.) 656

2. at UCLA, Sept. 8, 2012 (94 att.) 653

3. Wisconsin, Dec. 1, 2012 (60 att.) 640

4. Notre Dame, Oct. 16, 1948 (81 att.) 620

5. Washington, Sept. 21, 1991 (87 att.) 618

6. Ball State, Sept. 22, 2007 (79 att.) 610

7. at Missouri, Oct. 6, 2007 (85 att.) 606

8. Wyoming, Aug 31, 2013 - 603

8. Georgia, Jan. 1, 2013 (71 att.) 589

9. at Colorado, Nov. 23, 2001 (77 att.) 582

10. at Oklahoma, Nov. 20, 1954 (80 att.) 577

3 games consecutively in the Top 10 most yards allowed.Cosgrove's pathetic defense in 2007 wasn't that bad. UCLA will be Bo's litmus test for the season. If they get over 600 again on us, then this is going to be one long year that Bo may not survive.

Bo knows Defenestration's!