2-gapping preventing QB pressure?

Which other college teams run the 2-gap as often as we do?

Bama.

And their DC is one of the best in the biz and getting paid over 1 million to do it. Clemson pay Venables over 1million. I am seeing a theme here............

Yes. The theme is pay someone and that makes them good!????????

No. Bama and Clemson (to name just 2) went after proven coordinators and too date it is showing success. We, on the other hand, promoted from within, two guys, with little (being gracious) to no experience. We are seeing the results. Beck made some bone headed calls Sat. If Bo calls the D (like some suspect) then why do we have Paps?

IMO, when we give up 600 yrds per game in our last 3, that is an issue. When opponents seem to use similar games plans to beat us, that is a problem. When Bo owns 4 of the 10 worst D performances, that is an issue.

Bama played 11 Fresh last year. OSU and UM played 16.

I am tired of the excuses, youth, new conference, over looking opponents, Smith made awesome plays and is a Hypesman contender etc...... We make too many teams look like world beaters. I still haven't forgotten getting mauled by Wisky and their 3rd string QB.

I know we had a DE as a DT because of injuries, but who develops the depth and recruits to the needs (present and future) of the team.

We have some serious issues. Wyoming a team ranked 90th in rushing last year hung 602 yrds on us. This same team ran 78 plays and was only in 3rd down 8 times. 8 times.............

+1

I'll tell all of you what the biggest factor in the game was, Wyoming flat out wanted the game more, plain and simple. They felt disrespected that nobody gave them a chance in hell, while Nebraska on the other hand, was already looking forward to playing UCLA in two weeks. I said it before and I'll say it again, games like these are good for teams occasionally because it humbles them and gets them focused on the grind ahead. Also dont forget we were up 31-14 at one point, then the inexperience of the defense coupled with the timid play calling on the offensive side of the ball is what kept NU from driving the final nail and ended up letting Wyoming back into the game. Was it disappointing? Hell yea it was! Was it how the rest of the season will go? I highly doubt it

well, if that is our excuse for poor play, the coaches suck...its a coaching thing...should never happen.

I don't know they suck, so much as Pap is always looking over his shoulder. He needs to be allowed to run it his way.

Wyoming a team ranked 90th in rushing last year hung 602 yrds on us.

The 602 is total yards. Pelini's teams have consistently been leaders in pass defense. Our defense will gel as a unit over the next game or two as Pelini and Pap get the chess pieces in place.

I should have prefaced that. 219 on the ground (30-219) and 383 through the air. Either way, I can't see any way to find solace in those numbers. They are horrific. Looked at individually or in the totality. This is Wyoming.

I can't believe how far we as a fan base ave fallen, when this is ok and we continually point to the defensive genius that is Bo. I am baffled by the thought he owns 4-10 of the worst performances EVER. Hell, Cosgrove only owns 2. Also Smith put up the 4th highest yardage total in History against the Huskers and Wyoming got 35 first downs. Again, the most against the Huskers............. I am sure (I hope) that Bo realizes he is facing some serious issues as it relates to his defensive calls.

I am behind Bo. 100%. He is our coach. I admire his commitment to Darlington, the way he runs the program and his support of team Jack. BUT he needs to re-evaluate our defensive scheme. Time to scale it back, dumb it down and let the guys just go hat on hat. Switch to a zone at times to confuse the O. I am just tired of teams putting up Madden like numbers against our D and teams saying they knew what our D was going to do prior to it or like Wisky saying it was the easiest D to game against.

This is friggin NEBRASKA. Time to get back that apply foot to neck and press mentality. Either Enunwa or SJB said when we got the lead they all went into "relax" (not his words) mode. The staff needs to keep these guys focused and intense. I do not know if I have witnessed a complete 4 quarters from this team under Bo yet...........

• Fire 2

I can't believe how far we as a fan base ave fallen, when this is ok and we continually point to the defensive genius that is Bo. I am baffled by the thought he owns 4-10 of the worst performances EVER. Hell, Cosgrove only owns 2.

If you want your debate to be apples to apples, then you'd have to say Callahan only owns 2....or you'd have to say Papuchis owns 4. Just relax, Bo knows what he's doing. He has better athletes to work with now, but still has to get the chess pieces correct. There is no comparison between the Callahan years and Pelini's tenure.

I hear you Walks. But a lot of the big runs in the first half were do to poor gap integrity by the tackles and just poor play by the linebackers. In the beginning VV in particular was just bum rushing up the field and wasn't paying attention to where the ball was. He seemed to settle down in the second half where we only gave up 46 rushing yards. There was only on 9 rushes but the average gain went down as well, still an unimpressive 5ypc though.

The QB runs were bad but I'm never really concerned about those unless you have someone like Miller, Denard, etc. You're going to give up big chunks to a mobile guy in the spread but we've proven in the past (Gabbert at Mizzou, Locker at Washington...) that we can live with that.

But doesn't only having 4 guys at the initial point of attack hinder the ability to stop the run when they're being blocked by 5 guys? Maybe I'm over simplifying things, but just seems like that is the root of the problem...

I think you over simplified it. Stopping the run is really the linebacker's responsibility. In reality the linemen are essentially there to eat space and keep guys of the linebackers. If they can get off the block and make a tackle perfect, but the backers are supposed to fit to the gaps left open and make the play. Which is why when you have a tackle rush up field past the ball you're in deep doo doo. Now you have a huge hole and a free blocker. Obviously there's more going on than we are going to know, but that's the basics of what they're doing.

Z, I've got that, but that being said, wouldn't you want at least one or two extra guys at the point of attack to either, a) help stuff the run or b) help pressure the qb...

Z, I've got that, but that being said, wouldn't you want at least one or two extra guys at the point of attack to either, a) help stuff the run or b) help pressure the qb...

I figured you did. I think the guys we have now are capable of making coverage sacks like Suh and company did so well, but our DBs have to give them that extra second. We were pretty close a number of times it's was just that split second, or Smith fitting a ball into tight coverage which you really can't defend.

We did start bringing corners/safeties off the edge and they were making plays in the backfield, and later in the game we sent Bando and some other guys up the middle as well. But we probably should have been hitting him in the mouth from the get go.

I figured you did. I think the guys we have now are capable of making coverage sacks like Suh and company did so well, but our DBs have to give them that extra second. We were pretty close a number of times it's was just that split second, or Smith fitting a ball into tight coverage which you really can't defend.

We did start bringing corners/safeties off the and they were making plays in the backfield, and later in the game we send Bando and some other guys up the middle as well. But we probably should have been hitting him in the mouth from the get go.

I concur, they're close. If they can find a way to get that extra second or two, I think that the Wyoming game has a vastly different outcome.

And you're reading my mind about hitting them in the mouth from the get go.

I think the one thing that I took away from the D's performance looking back was, that there was too much finesse, and not enough trying to physically demoralizing them from the opening kick off...