My encounter with Ron Brown before the game

Apathy

It was nice of RB to take a picture with you guys before the game, but it's kinda creepy that you bothered him for the picture. The guy is at his place of work. He is trying to do his job of prepping for the game.

Creepy? Really? Nah.

It comes with the territory with that type of work.

It's one thing to do it at some type of event or after the game, but it's not something I would ask for before the game. If NU would have lost that game, there could be some criticism on the interweb that Ron Brown is more interested in taking pictures with fans, rather than getting his guys ready for the game.

That's fine, I probably wouldn't ask either, but calling it "creepy" was a little off-putting to me is all.

It was nice of RB to take a picture with you guys before the game, but it's kinda creepy that you bothered him for the picture. The guy is at his place of work. He is trying to do his job of prepping for the game.

Creepy? Really? Nah.

It's one thing to do it at some type of event or after the game, but it's not something I would ask for before the game. If NU would have lost that game, there could be some criticism on the interweb that Ron Brown is more interested in taking pictures with fans, rather than getting his guys ready for the game.

That's fine, I probably wouldn't ask either, but calling it "creepy" was a little off-putting to me is all.

Creepy may not have been the best term, but it's odd. You have 2 grown men (one of them pretty old) trying to get their picture taken with an assistant coach, before the game.

Even if I had my young son at the game, I wouldn't be yelling down to coaches on the field and trying to get our picture taken with him.

What if RB said no to the picture request? Is he a big jerk in the eyes of the OP?

Creepy? Really? Nah.

Creepy may not have been the best term, but it's odd. You have 2 grown men (one of them pretty old) trying to get their picture taken with an assistant coach, before the game.

Even if I had my young son at the game, I wouldn't be yelling down to coaches on the field and trying to get our picture taken with him.

What if RB said no to the picture request? Is he a big jerk in the eyes of the OP?

I don't think he'd say no. He's not a jerk.

HuskerJock, I wanted to chime in with the following tidbit. An old friend of mine (and former teammate) is now a strength coach for the Huskers. This is his dream job. We don't talk much but I always try to make it down for at least the spring game each year and have a chat with him before the game. This past spring game his family was sitting a few rows above us and during halftime I noticed he had come over to the fence and was waving to have his kid come down. Turns out he was bringing his kid to the sideline to watch the rest of the game from his side. As they were crossing the field I caught this snapshot:

902021_10100509858776281_689475842_o.jpg

Would have been way better if I was on the other side of the field but I think it says enough. My friend loves his job to death. Even though I know him as Willie, this guy I grew up with, I still find myself putting him (and the rest of the coaching staff) on a pedestal. I have to remind myself that he is a normal guy like the rest of us. And much as I see his frustrations after a loss and joys after a win and am reminded of my growing up playing sports with him and his desire to succeed, I also see his genuine response to the overwhelming support Husker Nation provides. He (and the rest of the coaching staff) is eternally grateful for every last bit of it and is ever one to respond with a "Thank you, we appreciate it" and I know he means it. Guys like Willie and Ron Brown are pretty easy to read compared to likes of Coach Bo and his hard nosed persona but we can't possibly know what its like to live in that fishbowl. I do however get a glimpse through Willie and I think that is why its so cool to us when we get to see Bo & Co's lighter side (see the Harlem Shake video), because it makes them more relate-able, more personable.

I also think that its really great you were able to experience that with your dad. I didn't get many experiences like that with mine (that I recall) until I got to college and have been trying to make up for lost time since, with some great results.

Solid post brother, +1.

• Fire 1

Along the same lines,my son and I ran into Bo in front of the Cornhusker Hotel around 4pm.I yelled out,"Hey Bo,good luck today."His response was a forced sneer,and a wave more along the lines of go away.Am sure he had a lot on his mind,but he is no Ron Brown.

That seems to be the usual response to fans wanting to interact with him, from what I've heard. My aunt and uncle met both him and Carl on a plane trip a few years ago, and they said Carl was totally friendly, and Bo acted like they were wasting his time.

I've never heard anything bad about Coach Brown, though. I got to meet him once when I was younger and he spoke at a school assembly, and he was willing to stand around and chat with all the kids as long as they wanted, sign stuff if they brought it, and was an all-around class act.

Creepy? Really? Nah.

I think runningbacks were well prepared.

Creepy? Really? Nah.

I think runningbacks were well prepared.

we needed the op to distract and get pics with the rest of the coaching staff.

That seems to be the usual response to fans wanting to interact with him, from what I've heard. My aunt and uncle met both him and Carl on a plane trip a few years ago, and they said Carl was totally friendly, and Bo acted like they were wasting his time.

is your uncle dirk chatelain?

I wish... bet he'd hook me up with a press pass if he was.