Turner - Sometimes, we laid down. We weren't bringing the fight back.

knapplc

Something I havent seen mentioned is the heat. Lets' not undersell that Saturday was one of those few days where it was simply not fun to be playing football. These guys are not robots playing for EA sports. Until the sun finally went behind the west stadium, it was not fun to be there. And heat doesnt tend to bother me much, but friday and saturday were ridiculous. It was pretty horrid just sitting there.

South Carolina was hot too and they were rocking that stadium on Thursday.

Something I havent seen mentioned is the heat. Lets' not undersell that Saturday was one of those few days where it was simply not fun to be playing football. These guys are not robots playing for EA sports. Until the sun finally went behind the west stadium, it was not fun to be there. And heat doesnt tend to bother me much, but friday and saturday were ridiculous. It was pretty horrid just sitting there.

Spurrier's visor keeps everything cool

The standard of excellence has been forgotten. Strapping on the "N" doesn't mean what it used to for these players. The attitude and effort put forth by the players on these Pelini teams is utterly disgraceful. What in the hell is up with the players' sideline disinterest for the game--especially when they're playing like crap? Bo needs to stop this experiment with being their friend and go old testament, because these players lack focus and discipline.

we didn't used to just win games, we used to punish our competition...that hunger and pride is long gone....

and when NU went down in defeat it used to be fighting all the way and punishing the opponent. Even when NU lost (which was 2 times a year on average) under Osborne --- they went down not because they were unfocused, unmotivated, out-hustled or were lacking in intensity. They were focused, intense, violent, well-prepared and went down against better foes that day. No dishonor in that.

If the current NU team was like that... hair on fire intense every play all game irrespective of score --- if they played with focus and were violent, giving all on every play every game and finished with 5 or 6 losses a season I would be satisfied and never complain. The record is not the point. How the team plays --- that is the point. So... under Bo, the point (at least for me) is not that they have failed to be a champion of anything... or that they failed to do well record-wise against good foes. It is that the team has been (and seemingly continues to be) poorly prepared, lacking in drive, non-physical (relative to where they should be), generally non-intense, poorly coached and lacking in focus. That is, to me, a dishonorable way to lose (or win --- as the Wyoming game is an example... NU played w/o intensity, focus or drive but won because their foe was simply wildly over-matched by talent deficit relative to NU). NU picks up some uninspired wins this way... and that is not worth accolades at all.

So, when NU lost games under TO, they only lost to "better teams".

1981--#7 NU lost to an unranked Iowa.

1984--#1 NU lost to an unranked Syracuse

1986--#3 NU lost to an unranked Colorado

1990--#10 NU lost to an unranked Oklahoma (by 35)

1992--#7 NU lost to an unranked Iowa State (the ultimate sleep walking loss)

1993--#6 NU goes down to the wire against unranked Kansas (winning when KU missed a 2-pt conversion in last minute of game)

1994--#2 NU almost lost to unranked Wyoming (Benning said the team was not focused for that game)

1997--#6 NU plays Central Florida very close (bringing boos against Scott Frost)

Yes, the lack of focus about Bo's teams are concerning, but don't act like NU played every game lights out under Tom Osborne. There are plenty of games under TO, where the team came out flat, and the team had close games or even lost.

• Fire 2

The standard of excellence has been forgotten. Strapping on the "N" doesn't mean what it used to for these players. The attitude and effort put forth by the players on these Pelini teams is utterly disgraceful. What in the hell is up with the players' sideline disinterest for the game--especially when they're playing like crap? Bo needs to stop this experiment with being their friend and go old testament, because these players lack focus and discipline.

we didn't used to just win games, we used to punish our competition...that hunger and pride is long gone....

and when NU went down in defeat it used to be fighting all the way and punishing the opponent. Even when NU lost (which was 2 times a year on average) under Osborne --- they went down not because they were unfocused, unmotivated, out-hustled or were lacking in intensity. They were focused, intense, violent, well-prepared and went down against better foes that day. No dishonor in that.

If the current NU team was like that... hair on fire intense every play all game irrespective of score --- if they played with focus and were violent, giving all on every play every game and finished with 5 or 6 losses a season I would be satisfied and never complain. The record is not the point. How the team plays --- that is the point. So... under Bo, the point (at least for me) is not that they have failed to be a champion of anything... or that they failed to do well record-wise against good foes. It is that the team has been (and seemingly continues to be) poorly prepared, lacking in drive, non-physical (relative to where they should be), generally non-intense, poorly coached and lacking in focus. That is, to me, a dishonorable way to lose (or win --- as the Wyoming game is an example... NU played w/o intensity, focus or drive but won because their foe was simply wildly over-matched by talent deficit relative to NU). NU picks up some uninspired wins this way... and that is not worth accolades at all.

1993--#6 NU goes down to the wire against unranked Kansas (winning when KU missed a 2-pt conversion in last minute of game)

1994--#2 NU almost lost to unranked Wyoming (Benning said the team was not focused for that game)

1997--#6 NU plays Central Florida very close (bringing boos against Scott Frost)

Yes, the lack of focus about Bo's teams are concerning, but don't act like NU played every game lights out under Tom Osborne. There are plenty of games under TO, where the team came out flat, and the team had close games or even lost.

I recall all those games. The only one where NU was truly flat was the Central Florida game. Perhaps the 1990 Oklahoma game, in the second half they folded.

I never said NU only lost to those who were better (as in better that season or in general --- though they had ;losses to such teams) --- I said they lost to teams that were better that day. The Syracuse and Colorado losses --- NU played really bad --- but not flat or unfocused... just bad that day. The TO teams almost never lost because they were ill-prepared, unfocused and out-hustled. They lost because the other team out-played them that day --- that is, those losses were more about the opponent that day than NU that day. And yes, NU had bad days themselves... but not days where they were bad because they were unfocused or unready.

I think it fair to say that TO's teams are clearly characterized by lights-out effort and focus --- even in defeat. That is not the case now. NU does not even have often lights-out focus even in victory now --- at least not characteristically so (though there have been a few).

The point is the general rule (with few exceptions) was this --- Osborne's NU teams lived (and occasionally died) while playing all out prepared gritty hard-working, high effort focused football. And now, that is rarely seen. Now the norm is fairly flat play --- the exception now is the intense play start-to-finish.

You play like you practice is my cliche axiom. If dudes are pussyfooting around at practice and the coaches are letting it slide, we will be in store for a bumpy ride this season. Players cannot expect to just go half ass through the motions at practice then magically amp it to 1000 volts come game day, bad mentality to have as a player, even worse for coaches to foster. I have heard that Jake Cotton is one nasty SOB at practice, maybe just maybe Bo should let guys go full speed, suit up, knock each other out then truly find out who exactly on this team has heart. We may not be stacked with 5 star recruits but focus and resiliency can equalize a 3 star and 5 star guy. The Huskers I grew up watching didn't crumble when they got punched in the jaw, where is that team? Better yet where is that mentality?

I guess us old timers, blue hairs, antiques are more about how the game is played. We were never handed trophies and told what good little tyke you are unless you earned it. Effort, pride, loyalty, dedication were are guide lines. Even out team admits it does not put the full effort into every play. That is leadership people, lack of it. The first time I truly saw and identified it was with 2nd Washington game. We have went down hill since then I think.

Robsker is anti Pelini and I understand why. I do not know if I feel the same about him. But I see there are shortfalls, and I truly believe it is because he is a new head coach, in over his head, with being a manager, in charge of recruiting, monitoring all the kids, parent representative, part time OC and full time DC. It is too much for one new coach to do.

As I have admitted to most on here, I have not like Pelini since the fiasco with Coach Snyder and the following bowl game. But I do see the good he does, how he runs this program, the graduation rates, the young men he has molded in to great citizens.

I can live with losses, I have seen many under Coach Osborne, and some blow outs. I can live with them. Never expect MNC or even CCG in this day and age.

But I do expect a well coached team, that knows what it is going on. Kids that would rather stop breathing than lose, that leave every thing they have on the field, see Bret Smith. A staff that sees what is going on, makes the changes and the kids react. No deer in the headlights stares like we saw Saturday. Game plans to win the game at all cost, no we can beat these guys with little effort attitude.

These are the problems I see, and have seen them since day one.

I am tired of the excuses, new players step up, the 7 freshmen for Wyoming did.

• Fire 1

I guess us old timers, blue hairs, antiques are more about how the game is played. We were never handed trophies and told what good little tyke you are unless you earned it. Effort, pride, loyalty, dedication were are guide lines. Even out team admits it does not put the full effort into every play. That is leadership people, lack of it. The first time I truly saw and identified it was with 2nd Washington game. We have went down hill since then I think.

Robsker is anti Pelini and I understand why. I do not know if I feel the same about him. But I see there are shortfalls, and I truly believe it is because he is a new head coach, in over his head, with being a manager, in charge of recruiting, monitoring all the kids, parent representative, part time OC and full time DC. It is too much for one new coach to do.

As I have admitted to most on here, I have not like Pelini since the fiasco with Coach Snyder and the following bowl game. But I do see the good he does, how he runs this program, the graduation rates, the young men he has molded in to great citizens.

I can live with losses, I have seen many under Coach Osborne, and some blow outs. I can live with them. Never expect MNC or even CCG in this day and age.

But I do expect a well coached team, that knows what it is going on. Kids that would rather stop breathing than lose, that leave every thing they have on the field, see Bret Smith. A staff that sees what is going on, makes the changes and the kids react. No deer in the headlights stares like we saw Saturday. Game plans to win the game at all cost, no we can beat these guys with little effort attitude.

These are the problems I see, and have seen them since day one.

I am tired of the excuses, new players step up, the 7 freshmen for Wyoming did.

The Nebraska freshmen stepped up very well. And were on the winning team.

One thing I noticed is that when Ameer ran up the left sideline for that long run, no emotion was displayed at all on the sideline by our players. It seemed like back in the good ole days when stuff like that happened guys were jumping around and going crazy. I guess I just don't understand what you need to get yourself jacked to play. I mean, if you're playing in front of a half empty stadium I get it. But how can you not be fired up for a game at Memorial?

• Fire 1

And as I said for me it is more about how the game is played, more so than winning Saturday. This team was outplayed by 1 star and no star athletes. They played until the final second, wanting to win that game far more than out team did. That is what it is about and that is what is missing.

I hope we learn from this win.

One thing I noticed is that when Ameer ran up the left sideline for that long run, no emotion was displayed at all on the sideline by our players. It seemed like back in the good ole days when stuff like that happened guys were jumping around and going crazy. I guess I just don't understand what you need to get yourself jacked to play. I mean, if you're playing in front of a half empty stadium I get it. But how can you not be fired up for a game at Memorial?

It used to be that when a player would jump around in excitement and celebrating a good play fans would say..."act like you have been there before".

Players or the fans? I'm talkin about the players. South Car's players, well, that's been discussed too.

It used to be that when a player would jump around in excitement and celebrating a good play fans would say..."act like you have been there before".

Really?

I've heard this about fans acting like that, but I've never heard anyone complain about players showing emotion.

If we are going to have "part time" players, why don't we just tell them they get a "part time" training table: Four days a week, they get two meals a day. The rest of the time, they can "lay down" instead of eating, same as how the played the Wyoming game. You want to be fed the entire week? Play an entire game.

Yes, that is facetious and tongue in cheek, but if they WERE actually sent off with no breakfast one day, with the above explanation? <_<

you realize you had to span 17 seasons to compile this list. I could get a list almost as long just looking at 2011, 2012 and Wyoming.

• Fire 1