Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

Giving up big plays has been one of the biggest problems with this defense, we can't just pretend those big plays don't happen because it makes the average look better.

I mean you can, but it's not going to fix the problem.

That's not really what I was getting at. Yeah they're a problem but if you address the breakdowns associated with those plays then we improve quite a bit is basically what I'm trying to say.

That's true, but based on the last few years (and Saturday night) it's not likely to be addressed.

Addison, it's perfectly acceptable to take out outliers/anomalies as a separate way to analyze data. If a running back runs 25 times a game for 100 yards, but one of those runs was for 75 yards, that means the other 24 runs netted only 25 yards total (slightly over a yard per play). So yes, an "average" includes all the data, but if you really look at the data (in my scenario) you see that the running back really struggled save one play.

There's nothing wrong with that analysis as long as you don't discount other forms of data. Hell, even professional statistical analysts look at data without outliers or pure averages. True averages can be very misleading.

I see what you are saying. I wish they would stop using QB sacks as negative QB rush yards. Because like you and ZRod mention, if Martinez rushes 12 times for 105 yards, no negative plays, but is sacked 3 times for 30 yards, he ends up in the stat book as 15 carries, 75 yards. It's a different picture.

BTW anyone care to know what actually happened on the long run by the RB? Santos had the play snuffed out only to have the guard essentially arm tackle him in the hole. I kept watching the play over and over and couldn't figure out how the hell he missed the tackle but that's what it was.

Giving up big plays has been one of the biggest problems with this defense, we can't just pretend those big plays don't happen because it makes the average look better.

That's not really what I was getting at. Yeah they're a problem but if you address the breakdowns associated with those plays then we improve quite a bit is basically what I'm trying to say.

That's true, but based on the last few years (and Saturday night) it's not likely to be addressed.

I can see that argument. I just have some hope left for this season with all these guys being so young. It's definitely wearing thin compared to years past but I'm still holding out.

Bo's scheme is weak against the run. We'll be soft against the run until he changes his philosophy and commits to stopping the run.

I agree......Pelini's defensive trademark stats have historically been in three areas....pass efficiency defense, turnovers and scoring defense. The good news is when you rank high in scoring defense it means you're winning some games. The upgrade in talent will help as it would help any coordinator. It certainly helped Charlie McBride.

I can see that argument. I just have some hope left for this season with all these guys being so young. It's definitely wearing thin compared to years past but I'm still holding out.

Never let go.

BTW anyone care to know what actually happened on the long run by the RB? Santos had the play snuffed out only to have the guard essentially arm tackle him in the hole. I kept watching the play over and over and couldn't figure out how the hell he missed the tackle but that's what it was.

Missed LB tackles are a nemesis of a Pelini defense.....but good tackling in Pelini's system will put up All-American numbers......the Barrett Ruuds, Demorrio Williams and LaVonte Davids. If that is not in place, we can struggle, like last season. That's why it looks like Bando or Rose may be given an opportunity.

Addison, it's perfectly acceptable to take out outliers/anomalies as a separate way to analyze data. If a running back runs 25 times a game for 100 yards, but one of those runs was for 75 yards, that means the other 24 runs netted only 25 yards total (slightly over a yard per play). So yes, an "average" includes all the data, but if you really look at the data (in my scenario) you see that the running back really struggled save one play.

There's nothing wrong with that analysis as long as you don't discount other forms of data. Hell, even professional statistical analysts look at data without outliers or pure averages. True averages can be very misleading.

So in other words it's fine to be very optimistic by the fact that the final 6 or so minutes of ridiculous nonsense is covering up a decent body of work by the defense (or the whole team for that matter) the other 54 minutes of the game, yes?

Missed LB tackles are a nemesis of a Pelini defense.....but good tackling in Pelini's system will put up All-American numbers......the Barrett Ruuds, Demorrio Williams and LaVonte Davids. If that is not in place, we can struggle, like last season. That's why it looks like Bando or Rose may be given an opportunity.

It wasn't that he missed it, it was that he was literally held in the hole. Clean play by WYO and we stop it for a 1 yard gain at most. I didn't really care too much about the missed calls, but that was a big one.

It wasn't that he missed it, it was that he was literally held in the hole. Clean play by WYO and we stop it for a 1 yard gain at most. I didn't really care too much about the missed calls, but that was a big one.

I hear ya. As a LB though, they have to get off blocks and not get held. Getting off blocks was an issue at times for Will Compton for example.

Never let go.

titanic-11431.jpg

I laughed out loud! I'm optimistic as well. With so many talented young players and a beneficial schedule, at the very worst, we should be 6-1 going into the Northwestern game. And these guys will have the experience behind them, able to just react and play fast by then.

Wyoming 6th Drive - 9:16 2nd Quarter - 6 plays - Punt

1&10, -33 - Corner Blitz - Evans (possibly Santos as well); 0 yd rush

3&4, -39 - Six man blitz out of 3-3 look - Seisay, Santos & Gregory; -1 yd pass, offsetting penalties

3&4, -39 - Corner Blitz - Evans; Incomplete pass

So Mavric, you're basically telling me I either watched a different game or I don't know a blitz from a butterfly? Not saying you are not absolutely correct but, after viewing twice now, I would have to wager that we didn't blitz that often during the whole game let alone in only three series. Sonofabitch, now I gotta watch it again and will be hesitant to comment on any game until I've seen it 3 or 4 times. But seriously, thanks for proving I apparently don't know sh#t :-)

Doesn't sound to me like a coaching staff that was expecting to just show up and win while showing as little as possible. How about you?