No tape on Papuchis fingers

GBRrodney

Obviously Pap making checks w tape on his fingers was actually leading to some confusion.

The players were asked "what do we need to do to get the plays in w less confusion?"

More than one player said, "I can't really see what you're signaling, even w tape on." So they changed it.

My dad coached for 27 years and he always held up fingers at certain points as signals. It was an odd set of fingers to hold up for given numbers, given what we do everyday to signal a 2 or a 3 or a 4. It was his habit and once I asked him "why do you hold up those fingers for 'those numbers?'" His reply was that is was easier to read from the field.

These are kinks that seem mundane, but take time within the chaos of a game that really do pay dividends on the field.

Obviously Pap making checks w tape on his fingers was actually leading to some confusion.

The players were asked "what do we need to do to get the plays in w less confusion?"

More than one player said, "I can't really see what you're signaling, even w tape on." So they changed it.

My dad coached for 27 years and he always held up fingers at certain points as signals. It was an odd set of fingers to hold up for given numbers, given what we do everyday to signal a 2 or a 3 or a 4. It was his habit and once I asked him "why do you hold up those fingers for 'those numbers?'" His reply was that is was easier to read from the field.

These are kinks that seem mundane, but take time within the chaos of a game that really do pay dividends on the field.

Do you have proof of this? Honest question.

His weekly dinner with the coaching staff.

His weekly dinner with the coaching staff.

When he said proof, I believe he meant concrete and from a reliable source i.e. a direct quote from a coach.

Nah, sorry. seems like a link should've been inlcuded, eh? i can just see after the WYO game, being a lot of newbie's played, that there were questions during films about why so much mis-comm

just played a lot of ball, dad as a coach, basically grew up on a field and in meeting rooms. my take on why the switch: he's done it since he's been here, now (w all the young'ns) i'd guess it was something that was brought up, he was willing to ditch it in a heart beat if it was a problem/excuse w the players.

actually love this about Our fans. we notice shizz like this and discuss it. Because after the 1st time they showed him on TV, i thought, "huh, no tape. someone must have said something in films."

I really was not being a smart ass. It was a legit question (I know that's hard to believe, but it was). I was curious if a coach or player actually did address this as a change.

And yes, I noticed it too.

I also remember 2 instances a year ago (Penn St and Wisconsin I) when the player little card or whatnot they had on them did not match what the coaches were signaling off of on the sideline, causing massive confusion. It was reported as such on tv in the second half of both games. It's just hard for me to fathom that that kind of mishap could occur.