Stop the run, take our chances against the pass?

I am more worried about Hundley running, than I am passing. I would like to see us keep 2 LBs in versus going to a dime. Maybe walk a DB down for a more traditional 4-3 look. Nothing is more demoralizing than a long run, especially by the QB.

Sure we may get beat a couple of times over the top, but I would like to make them one dimensional if possible. Our DBs seem pretty opportunistic this year also.

Thoughts?

I am more worried about Hundley running, than I am passing. I would like to see us keep 2 LBs in versus going to a dime. Maybe walk a DB down for a more traditional 4-3 look. Nothing is more demoralizing than a long run, especially by the QB.

Sure we may get beat a couple of times over the top, but I would like to make them one dimensional if possible. Our DBs seem pretty opportunistic this year also.

Thoughts?

Nathan Gerry is a hybrid S/LB in my opinion. This makes the personel of the dime and the nickel the same, only Gerry is playing a different position. I think we will see Zaire in the base 4-3 more than the last 2 games. I do wonder if Afalvala or Santos will play over Gerry against traditional teams that run less spread.

Never one time have I been sold on Ciante Evans in coverage. I see us needing to keep a one high safety look the entire game and maybe leaving SJB on an island. We will at some point walk another safety up into the box however.

It will be very interesting to see what we do when UCLA goes five wide. I expect us to drop Gregory back into the middle pre-snap when that happens.

Bottom line, I agree with what someone said that if we have to walk that safety up into the box constantly we will give up a few long passes.

Rewatching highlights from last year, UCLA ran that pick play with a TE for Franklin an awful lot.

He seems to be solid when he has to cover short routes - slants, outs, digs. But he gets burned a lot when he has to cover downfield.

1. Win turnover battle

2. Win 3rd down on both sides of the ball

3. Score TDs not FGs

4. Hit the QB alot and gang tackle

5. The perfect trick play at the perfect time

6. If its working, acquire tunnel vision

7. 1st down efficiency

8. Use time outs properly

9. Remember the screen game

10. Enjoy the taste of bruin meat!

This is one of my biggest concerns with Beck. How many times has he admitted after games that he should have done this?

This is not a Beck problem this is an OC problem. To many try to get to cute with their play call. Quote our DC to our OC on our team after 3 straight pass plays. "Run the F&ck*ing ball!"

Never one time have I been sold on Ciante Evans in coverage. I see us needing to keep a one high safety look the entire game and maybe leaving SJB on an island. We will at some point walk another safety up into the box however.

It will be very interesting to see what we do when UCLA goes five wide. I expect us to drop Gregory back into the middle pre-snap when that happens.

Bottom line, I agree with what someone said that if we have to walk that safety up into the box constantly we will give up a few long passes.

Rewatching highlights from last year, UCLA ran that pick play with a TE for Franklin an awful lot.

He seems to be solid when he has to cover short routes - slants, outs, digs. But he gets burned a lot when he has to cover downfield.

He's just a vintage nickel guy-does well against your quick slot type routes. Not as well against the field stretchers out wide.

Run the ball, stop the run, win the game. Alot harder to make a good pass downfield 20+ yards with consistent accuracy than it is to run the ball with 5 in the box. Can't let them get a running game going early, it will cause Gerry and Bando to hesitate a step and the throwing lanes will open, that's when you get into trouble as a defense. I would start Zaire with it in mind that they will try to establish the run and see what their gameplan is. If they try and run Zaire is better in the box, if they come out throwing get Gerry in to help.

I agree stop the run, I hope BP thinks so also. If you want better cover guys in the nickel start green at one of the safeties. He was not a bad corner.

Honestly disagree, I remember him getting burned a lot last year. Towards the end of 2011 (Michigan State & every game after it), he seemed to have his side on lockdown & he didn't seem to be playing at the same level at all last year

Bottom line - we gotta have constant pressure on Hundley, and we gotta find a way to not get gashed for 6-10 yard runs.

Honestly, I think it's important that we get them to 3rd down territory. While UCLA had success on 3rd downs against us last year, something tells me this year's D will really benefit from not allowing the Bruins to convert on 1st and 2nd downs (like we did vs. Wyo).

The game will come down to whether we can stop the run. If we don't shut down their rushing attack, this game will be over before halftime. It's also imperative that our running game is successful in order to give our defense a rest. If we are to lose this game, I'd rather it come down to some miraculous throws and catches than giving up 350+ yards rushing.

• Fire 1

Thoughts?

If the two LB's would be named Bando and Gerry/ Anderson I would be all for it.