Stop the run, take our chances against the pass?

I am more worried about Hundley running, than I am passing. I would like to see us keep 2 LBs in versus going to a dime. Maybe walk a DB down for a more traditional 4-3 look. Nothing is more demoralizing than a long run, especially by the QB.

Sure we may get beat a couple of times over the top, but I would like to make them one dimensional if possible. Our DBs seem pretty opportunistic this year also.

Thoughts?

I don't think I would like to see keeping 2 LBs in and having them try to cover RBs moving out into the slot.

Hundley's a threat with his mobility but I feel that serves the passing game primarily. Which I am considerably concerned about. From last year's game, I think the most demoralizing thing is probably watching them complete those throws in space all day long.

We have two shutdown (almost) CB's in SJB and Evans, BUT no one can cover for 4-5 seconds as Hunley scrambles and makes the throws. The key will be to watch the motion, screens and get in his face and do not allow him to scramble freely and square up to throw. I would hit him every play. I mean every play. its a run he gets hit, scrambles gets hit. Just like UCLA played Martinez last year. We Martinez was stuffed for the safety, I remember UCLA had game planned to hit him whether he had the ball or not. It eventually paid off for them.

I don't think I would like to see keeping 2 LBs in and having them try to cover RBs moving out into the slot.

Hundley's a threat with his mobility but I feel that serves the passing game primarily. Which I am considerably concerned about. From last year's game, I think the most demoralizing thing is probably watching them complete those throws in space all day long.

I understand this. Are you as concerned with someone with Gerry's speed out there covering a RB? We didn't have anyone with his skill set last year. I don't want to see all those 6-7 yard passes crossing over the middle all day. Or getting beat by an RB around the outside while the WRs run all the DBs downfield. I think we are better off in nickel than we are in dime.

Run the ball, stop the run, win the game. Alot harder to make a good pass downfield 20+ yards with consistent accuracy than it is to run the ball with 5 in the box. Can't let them get a running game going early, it will cause Gerry and Bando to hesitate a step and the throwing lanes will open, that's when you get into trouble as a defense. I would start Zaire with it in mind that they will try to establish the run and see what their gameplan is. If they try and run Zaire is better in the box, if they come out throwing get Gerry in to help.

Run the ball, stop the run, win the game. Alot harder to make a good pass downfield 20+ yards with consistent accuracy than it is to run the ball with 5 in the box. Can't let them get a running game going early, it will cause Gerry and Bando to hesitate a step and the throwing lanes will open, that's when you get into trouble as a defense. I would start Zaire with it in mind that they will try to establish the run and see what their gameplan is. If they try and run Zaire is better in the box, if they come out throwing get Gerry in to help.

I agree stop the run, I hope BP thinks so also. If you want better cover guys in the nickel start green at one of the safeties. He was not a bad corner.

I noticed against S. Miss that Bo was playing a lot off 1 high safety and bringing the other down to help with run support and the short routes. This might be something we see again against UCLA in order to stop the run and small ball. I think our corners are good enough to man up and we will have a deep safety to help.

We have two shutdown (almost) CB's in SJB and Evans, BUT no one can cover for 4-5 seconds as Hunley scrambles and makes the throws. The key will be to watch the motion, screens and get in his face and do not allow him to scramble freely and square up to throw. I would hit him every play. I mean every play. its a run he gets hit, scrambles gets hit. Just like UCLA played Martinez last year. We Martinez was stuffed for the safety, I remember UCLA had game planned to hit him whether he had the ball or not. It eventually paid off for them.

I agree, if you don't constantly disrupt Hundley, he will pick us apart.

1. Win turnover battle

2. Win 3rd down on both sides of the ball

3. Score TDs not FGs

4. Hit the QB alot and gang tackle

5. The perfect trick play at the perfect time

6. If its working, acquire tunnel vision

7. 1st down efficiency

8. Use time outs properly

9. Remember the screen game

10. Enjoy the taste of bruin meat!

This is one of my biggest concerns with Beck. How many times has he admitted after games that he should have done this?

Never one time have I been sold on Ciante Evans in coverage. I see us needing to keep a one high safety look the entire game and maybe leaving SJB on an island. We will at some point walk another safety up into the box however.

It will be very interesting to see what we do when UCLA goes five wide. I expect us to drop Gregory back into the middle pre-snap when that happens.

Bottom line, I agree with what someone said that if we have to walk that safety up into the box constantly we will give up a few long passes.

Rewatching highlights from last year, UCLA ran that pick play with a TE for Franklin an awful lot.