The part that complicates it for me is that I have a Macbook and I'm not sure how compatible the samsung phones are with that.

Are you talking about transferring data between your Macbook and a Samsung phone? There is a free app called airdroid that is absolutely amazing. It lets you move things on and off your android device without a USB cable, send/receive texts from your Macbook, locate and lock your android when it's lost and if you can't get it back, you can wipe all the data remotely. All for free. It works on any browser.

Yes this was the part that worried me. I wasn't sure how transferring songs/movies from my current itunes would work.

If you don't have an iphone, i would say you shouldn't even bother with itunes. it's not awful, but there's better options out there.

Well I currently have a 4S along with apple tv and a macbook. The only reason I'm even considering getting the 5S is I wasn't sure how everything would work as far as still being able to put songs on my phone if I don't get an iphone. What other options are out there as far as songs/movies go other than Itunes?

Well I currently have a 4S along with apple tv and a macbook. The only reason I'm even considering getting the 5S is I wasn't sure how everything would work as far as still being able to put songs on my phone if I don't get an iphone. What other options are out there as far as songs/movies go other than Itunes?

Just start doing some google searching. I know a bit, but not a ton as I don't deal with these things personally, but here's some options I know off the top of my head:

iSyncr

Vox

Google Music (would probably be my go to for local files - you upload them all to google's cloud storage but can download them to your phone so you don't have to stream)

Winamp

VLC Media Player for videos on your macbook. Hopefully you don't buy your movies THROUGH itunes. VLC is the standard as far as video players go.

DoubleTwist

Spotify (streaming service, but you can import all of your local files into the library as well. Basically, on your computer, it's itunes plus spotify in one program, but you have to pay to stream/sync to your phone)

Apple better start getting innovative or Samsung is going to keep growing their market share. The finger print scanner was really the only "new" thing to come with this phone. Will be a good product no doubt, but for a company that prides itself on always being the forefront of the next best thing, they haven't been filling that role to much with the past few models. Stock holders are also taking note, I believe it was the first time stock prices fell after one of their mobile launches.

Apple better start getting innovative or Samsung is going to keep growing their market share. The finger print scanner was really the only "new" thing to come with this phone. Will be a good product no doubt, but for a company that prides itself on always being the forefront of the next best thing, they haven't been filling that role to much with the past few models. Stock holders are also taking note, I believe it was the first time stock prices fell after one of their mobile launches.

This is what I was thinking as well. The finger print scanner is neat and all but I think other phones are catching and passing the iphone as far as features go.

Samsung is doing well for themselves but I disagree with the urgency of your sentiment. Apple will continue to make buckets of money because even when they play it safe and conservative, they do all of the little things just right. The things that people don't notice but that still actually impact their purchases. Their build materials are flawless, their branding is iconic, their software support is a reliable rock, their marketing is unprecedented, etc.

If Apple goes down it won't be because they didn't add enough new fancy things to their phones. Those things matter very little to the 90%.

Samsung is doing well for themselves but I disagree with the urgency of your sentiment. Apple will continue to make buckets of money because even when they play it safe and conservative, they do all of the little things just right. The things that people don't notice but that still actually impact their purchases. Their build materials are flawless, their branding is iconic, their software support is a reliable rock, their marketing is unprecedented, etc.

If Apple goes down it won't be because they didn't add enough new fancy things to their phones. Those things matter very little to the 90%.

Apple is only doing OK in the US. The worldwide market share for them is very small compared to Android. Largely because the iCult will buy any of their overpriced items. Nothing Apple makes is price competitive for what you get.

• Fire 1

Apple is only doing OK in the US. The worldwide market share for them is very small compared to Android. Largely because the iCult will buy any of their overpriced items. Nothing Apple makes is price competitive for what you get.

Apple has only ever done ok in the U.S., but you're right, and that's my point. It doesn't matter if they're actually the best or not - only if people believe they are, which people do, and will continue to do.

You honestly believe Apple became the most valuable company in the WORLD because they do "OK in the US ... largely because the iCult will buy any of their overpriced items?" Apple's worldwide market is severely hampered by not having a contract with the worlds largest cellular provider in Asia. There are plans for that to change. Apple is doing just fine. They make a great product. It is scary to think how much more money they will acquire when they break into those markets.

You honestly believe Apple became the most valuable company in the WORLD because they do "OK in the US ... largely because the iCult will buy any of their overpriced items?" Apple's worldwide market is severely hampered by not having a contract with the worlds largest cellular provider in Asia. There are plans for that to change. Apple is doing just fine. They make a great product. It is scary to think how much more money they will acquire when they break into those markets.

Their items are not superior to everything else in existence, that's just the fools falling for their great marketing campaign. And its not just Asia. Its pretty much everywhere in Europe, and their market shares have slid in the US.

And yes, they do have the piles of cash from getting good little iCultists to rush out and buy every new version of their stuff, with giant markups. You pay a giant premium for the Apple logo embossed on their stuff. I mean the suicide prevention nets at their Foxxcon plants don't cost that much....

Question--does TMobile provide decent data/voice coverage in Lincoln? I ask because I'm looking to get away from my current provider.

If I remember right, T-Mobile runs on Sprint's network, which is decent in the cities and horrendous everywhere else. Sprint has been in the process of installing LTE towers for a while now.

My Sprint service is God-awful, and I can see Sprint's campus from my office.

That being said, I can't wait to cop the new iPhone on Friday. I've been sitting on this upgrade. My selling point was the new camera and camera features, the ability to video my golf swing at 120 fps is huge. Previously, I was looking at $300+ cameras. If anyone is looking for an iPhone 4S on the Sprint network, holler.

Question--does TMobile provide decent data/voice coverage in Lincoln? I ask because I'm looking to get away from my current provider.

If I remember right, T-Mobile runs on Sprint's network, which is decent in the cities and horrendous everywhere else. Sprint has been in the process of installing LTE towers for a while now.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be going with Verizon then...*grumble*

You pay a giant premium for the Apple logo embossed on their stuff.

This would be more accurate if iPhones were running the same operating system as everyone else.

When my Pro dies I'll be buying a new Macbook. Not because the hardware is superior . . . but because I don't think that I'll ever be able to go back to Windows.

• Fire 1