What did we learn

JJ Husker

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

You've got to be kidding. How do you write off a whole quarter of football and if you think for a second we held them in the 4th quarter....UCLA just started chewing clock. They had it in the bag and knew it. We were defeated, demoralized...we quit. I can't spin this thing positive...at all. We've played one good full game this year and it was against a team that's currently riding a 15 game losing streak with a new head coach. This team has become an embarrassment....and I'm trying my best to not be too negative cause my BP can't handle it.

I was kind of poking fun at the "it's just 5 bad minutes" argument that made the rounds after Wyoming. If you were here in my office when I read my post out loud before slamming the "Enter" button, you would have picked up on the touch of sarcasm. That's all on you, bud.

What did we learn? We learned:

1. the coaches continue to do things that don't work. Bill Callahand kept Cosgrove, which was inevitably his undoing. Is Bo in the same boat?

2. The two gap, match man defense has to end when we play dual threat quarterbacks and this goes back to 1st point. our achilles heel has always been the mobile quarterback. why do we expect our secondary to remain on their guys when we send four guys? are you f'ing kidding me? it's a joke of a defense sans all-millenium Ndamukong Suh.

3. We still can't win on the big stage. no matter the time of day. Had a chance to put the nail in the coffin before UCLA could wake up. We didn't do it. Same old song and dance.

4. Players were defeated before the end of the game. Seeing no attitude/reaction from the players and seeing them with their heads hung in the early 4th/ late 3rd quarter.

5. We didn't make the correct adjustments (an argument to be made is if we had any at all). Mora completely outcoached Pelini. Don't give me the BS that Pelini had the right call, our players just didn't make the play. I've supported this thought before. Tackling has always been an issue in Pelini's defense. I remember back in 2010 players had to sit because they couldn't tackle. This is on the coaches. Not the players.

We need to ask ourselves one question: Are we really any better off than we were in 2007?

We're going to win far more than 5 games, so yes. It's fine to question where we are and where we're going as a program, but any questioning of whether we're better off than we were under Callahan is barely better than trolling.

It's legitimate and not trolling. But better than Callahan is merely a bad comparison. The question needs to be; are we where we want to be. The answer is clearly NO. I've been a Bo supporter until today but no more. I've wanted desperately to avoid the disruption of another HC and staff change but I don't care any longer. I am not happy or satisfied with nine wins over cupcakes and getting our asses handed to us by any half capable team. sh#ts gotta change.

No, I am not trolling. I'm 100% serious.

After three weeks of that season, and three weeks of this season, I don't really see a whole lot of difference. They were 2-1 and 2013 is 2-1. They lost an uber-hyped home game to a Pac 12 team from Los Angeles that was supposed to be the "comeback to prominence" game.

Hard to say if this squad implodes like that one did.... but they will end up with more than 5 wins solely because the schedule is much, much softer than '07 was.

I mean, the whole point of dumping Callahan was to dump Cosgrove, right? Well, after 2700 yards given up in the last five games, can you really tell me than Cosgrove was worse?

An honest analysis shows no meaningful difference between Cosgrove and the NU defense the past two years.

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

You've got to be kidding. How do you write off a whole quarter of football and if you think for a second we held them in the 4th quarter....UCLA just started chewing clock. They had it in the bag and knew it. We were defeated, demoralized...we quit. I can't spin this thing positive...at all. We've played one good full game this year and it was against a team that's currently riding a 15 game losing streak with a new head coach. This team has become an embarrassment....and I'm trying my best to not be too negative cause my BP can't handle it.

When you say NU quit... we need to consider something here. You have to think that by now (and likely for a time now) a good subset of the team (the players) have lost confidence in the coaches. They would have to be nearly blind not to. When a team senses that their coaches are in over their heads and that the opposition will scheme them to death... well that is demoralizing.

It is not that I am excusing the players... but they are in a rough position. Their coaches have been out-coached so thoroughly so often... and now the team has been spanked too many times for the team to have much esteem. They must dread going out there when any sort of momentum switch occurs. This is just a bad, bad situation for NU. It cannot be any fun to be on the team at present.

Martinez is not a leader. When our offense stalls, it's toast. It happened that way against Wyoming and it happened that way today. 21 and done. It will be interesting to see the average starting field position for each team. UCLA won the field position battle. At this point in the season, our offense is nothing to write home about.

Oh c'mon folks, we just didn't execute. We didn't make the plays. We had our guys jumping out of their gaps....etc. etc. etc. I am ready for a change. NU football is a joke at the national level. It is time for a new start. Let's get a coach who can recruit, develop, game-plan and make in-game adjustments. We have the money and the facilities.

We need to ask ourselves one question: Are we really any better off than we were in 2007?

We're going to win far more than 5 games, so yes. It's fine to question where we are and where we're going as a program, but any questioning of whether we're better off than we were under Callahan is barely better than trolling.

It's legitimate and not trolling. But better than Callahan is merely a bad comparison. The question needs to be; are we where we want to be. The answer is clearly NO. I've been a Bo supporter until today but no more. I've wanted desperately to avoid the disruption of another HC and staff change but I don't care any longer. I am not happy or satisfied with nine wins over cupcakes and getting our asses handed to us by any half capable team. sh#ts gotta change.

No, I am not trolling. I'm 100% serious.

After three weeks of that season, and three weeks of this season, I don't really see a whole lot of difference. They were 2-1 and 2013 is 2-1. They lost an uber-hyped home game to a Pac 12 team from Los Angeles that was supposed to be the "comeback to prominence" game.

Hard to say if this squad implodes like that one did.... but they will end up with more than 5 wins solely because the schedule is much, much softer than '07 was.

I mean, the whole point of dumping Callahan was to dump Cosgrove, right? Well, after 2700 yards given up in the last five games, can you really tell me than Cosgrove was worse?

An honest analysis shows no meaningful difference between Cosgrove and the NU defense the past two years.

This loss was not on the defense. The offense consistently gave UCLA the ball at midfield.

Bo and Pap lack any ability to motivate their players. Scheme is fine, we had players in position most of the time. Players made those plays the first half of the game, so its not a lack of talent. Everything points to Bo and Pap lack the know how to motivate their players. Carl used the same scheme, but our defense played tough and with an attitude. Carl may not be a great coach, but at least our defenses didn't just stop playing for 2 quarters a game. Does Bo attitude rub off on the Offense? or is Beck lacking at times too?

How do people blame the defense when the offense doesn't score a point for 37 minutes? An offense that goes 3/14 on 3rd down? An offense that had two of three touchdowns off turnovers on drives of 26 and 28 yards?

When your Defense lets the opponent score on 6 or 7 consecutive drives, most being touchdowns, it hard to not put the majority of the blame on the Defense. Taylor sucked today, but that is not the reason for the loss.

Bo and Pap lack any ability to motivate their players. Scheme is fine, we had players in position most of the time. Players made those plays the first half of the game, so its not a lack of talent. Everything points to Bo and Pap lack the know how to motivate their players. Carl used the same scheme, but our defense played tough and with an attitude. Carl may not be a great coach, but at least our defenses didn't just stop playing for 2 quarters a game. Does Bo attitude rub off on the Offense? or is Beck lacking at times too?

Carl also had the NFL talent that Callahan left him. Pap is stuck with what Bo has recruited. Last year and this year the the first time that Bo has ever had to use players that he recruited, and you see the result of that on a weekly basis.

When your Defense lets the opponent score on 6 or 7 consecutive drives, most being touchdowns, it hard to not put the majority of the blame on the Defense. Taylor sucked today, but that is not the reason for the loss.

You can't expect a defense to stop an offense that is given the ball at midfield as much as we gave it to UCLA there.
  • Fire 1

Guys... why are you all bagging on the defense. This was one of the better defensive outings of late --- they ONLY had 506 yards!

Both the d and the O struggled today. The immediate future for NU is bleak.

A fresh start is needed. Has been for some time now. It seems many of my fellow posters are beginning to agree.

I put this one on beck! He really belew it today to O really struggled with the plays and looked out of sync all game long. Need to do something about the third down on O! I really thought our did played well but when the O put them in bad positions our youth really showed esp. on the big plays where we whiffed on a bunch of tackles. Really hope we improve. I still think we go 11-1 because mich really sucked today against Akron. GBR!!!