What did we learn

JJ Husker

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

We always have 1 bad quarter, and that's consistently the difference between 9 wins and 11, or 600 yards and a joke win ton Wyoming versus a descent showing.

1 - This is a horrifically inept coaching staff.

2 - Same S***, new year.

3 - There is talent in the young guys on defense but...

4 - They are too loyal. Playing time gets handed to guys for being there are working hard. See Ankrah and Randle. Those guys should not be on the field.

5 - My dog could have coached the team the same way these guys did.

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

You've got to be kidding. How do you write off a whole quarter of football and if you think for a second we held them in the 4th quarter....UCLA just started chewing clock. They had it in the bag and knew it. We were defeated, demoralized...we quit. I can't spin this thing positive...at all. We've played one good full game this year and it was against a team that's currently riding a 15 game losing streak with a new head coach. This team has become an embarrassment....and I'm trying my best to not be too negative cause my BP can't handle it.

What he said!

We need to ask ourselves one question: Are we really any better off than we were in 2007?

We're going to win far more than 5 games, so yes. It's fine to question where we are and where we're going as a program, but any questioning of whether we're better off than we were under Callahan is barely better than trolling.

It's legitimate and not trolling. But better than Callahan is merely a bad comparison. The question needs to be; are we where we want to be. The answer is clearly NO. I've been a Bo supporter until today but no more. I've wanted desperately to avoid the disruption of another HC and staff change but I don't care any longer. I am not happy or satisfied with nine wins over cupcakes and getting our asses handed to us by any half capable team. sh#ts gotta change.

No, I am not trolling. I'm 100% serious.

After three weeks of that season, and three weeks of this season, I don't really see a whole lot of difference. They were 2-1 and 2013 is 2-1. They lost an uber-hyped home game to a Pac 12 team from Los Angeles that was supposed to be the "comeback to prominence" game.

Hard to say if this squad implodes like that one did.... but they will end up with more than 5 wins solely because the schedule is much, much softer than '07 was.

I mean, the whole point of dumping Callahan was to dump Cosgrove, right? Well, after 2700 yards given up in the last five games, can you really tell me than Cosgrove was worse?

1- I cared more than the players and coaches did. Pretty sure that won't be a problem anymore..

2- Beck goes more Watson than Watson ever did. He needs to go. Get a real OC.

3- Papuchis is not a DC. It's questionable if he should even be a posion coach. He needs to go. Get a real DC.

4- The Nebraska football I used to love is dead. There's no sugarcoating it. We are a team of pussies from top to bottom. Not one set of balls in the whole bunch.

5- We just got dominated and manhandled by UCfuckinLA.

6- We don't have to worry about being embarrassed in another significant game. If we're in a game, nobody will consider it significant.

I'm no sports psychologist, but I play one on message boards. You have to wonder what the last 4 years have done to the culture of this team. The predictable sh**ting of the bed when it counts. The CCGs in 2009, 2010, 2012. Big games during the regular season where our guys played flat. When we get off to a fast start in these big games, I try really hard not to get too excited because I "know" what's coming down the pike. If the fans can feel that, you can be damn sure the players do, too. The inevitability of these "meltdowns" is something the players have to expect.

We've been the Charlie Brown of the CFB world and every other good team with a pulse has been our Lucy. Charlie's going to try to kick the football, but he knows he's going to fall on his ass. He's resigned himself to that fact.

• Fire 1

We really did not learn anything new. We already knew that NU's staff gets routinely out-coached at the half-time adjustment stage and that UCLA would roll in the 2nd half. Like the announcers stated 7-8 times, staying in man coverage when a decent QB has 6-7 seconds to throw is suicide and our coaches did not change up ... and the predictable result happened.

We learned again what the nation has for some time now known --- that when the opposition is equal to or +/_ very little from a talent viewpoint that NU gets rolled.

We saw again poor tackling. Poor play calling. Penalties. Turnovers.

But NU did some good stuff too... some of the younger guys look pretty good. SJB is great. Avery Moss looked pretty good at times. Quincy is, I think, NFL stuff. Some other individuals looked good.

So... another blow-out on national TV. Much like last year.

Illinois will be a tough game for the 'Skers but NU should have a good shot there. Down the road... when NU hits any team of substance... well we re-learned what we all by now should know... NU is toast. Our coaching staff is abysmal.

• Fire 1

1- I cared more than the players and coaches did. Pretty sure that won't be a problem anymore..

I absolutely agree. No fire, passion or sense of urgency on the sideline. I hate to say it, but they looked like quitters

2- Beck goes more Watson than Watson ever did. He needs to go. Get a real OC.

Didn't like the hire then, like it even less now. He has no system. A hodge podge of sh%t. He makes Wats bad calls look brilliant

3- Papuchis is not a DC. It's questionable if he should even be a posion coach. He needs to go. Get a real DC.

Idiot. year two and still shows no ability call a game or make in game adjustments. The staff develops a plan and sticks with it regardless the outcome.

4- The Nebraska football I used to love is dead. There's no sugarcoating it. We are a team of pussies from top to bottom. Not one set of balls in the whole bunch.

Some of the D played mean. They are mentally weak. It is almost like a disease has taken over this team and they are all getting it. They accept defeat and quit. I agree that NU as I loved is dead. No losses that go to the fire. Teams leaving not even realizing they were in a game. No physical play etc,,,,

5- We just got dominated and manhandled by UCfuckinLA.

A team as young as ours with a year 2 coach and staff. Missing some of his weapons from last year.

6- We don't have to worry about being embarrassed in another significant game. If we're in a game, nobody will consider it significant.

The only saving grace being we are so "also ran" very few outside of NU fans will even watch (unsure if they will either)

We need to ask ourselves one question: Are we really any better off than we were in 2007?

We're going to win far more than 5 games, so yes. It's fine to question where we are and where we're going as a program, but any questioning of whether we're better off than we were under Callahan is barely better than trolling.

It's legitimate and not trolling. But better than Callahan is merely a bad comparison. The question needs to be; are we where we want to be. The answer is clearly NO. I've been a Bo supporter until today but no more. I've wanted desperately to avoid the disruption of another HC and staff change but I don't care any longer. I am not happy or satisfied with nine wins over cupcakes and getting our asses handed to us by any half capable team. sh#ts gotta change.

I think we can avoid the major disruption by replacing a few Defensive coaches, including the DC. Maybe someone on the offensive side needs to be replaced too. NU has been sloppy for too long (penalties & turnovers). After reading about OSU this week, I am happy that NU has a clean program.

1) Never have Pac 12 refs officiate a game in which you are not a Pac 12 team and your opponent is. This was the second worst NU officiated game I have ever seen (Texas A&M being #1). The horrible roughing the passer calls were some of the worst I have ever seen and kept UCLA drives alive and our inexperienced defense out there too long. Calling a FG good...oh wait, it was wide right. UCLA fumbles and NU recovers...oh wait, we blew the whistle. UCLA blocking in the back...no call. UCLA holding blocks downfield...no call. UCLA helmet to helmet tackle on TMart...no call and no personal foul (you can be damn sure if we hit Hundley like that it would be an automatic ejection and suspension). :madash

2) Now I had to get #1 off my chest. I had us losing this game but I do think it would have been closer had it been officiated correctly...I think we still would have been in the game in the 4th qtr.

3) Was really disappointed we took our foot off the gas on offense. With this defense we can never do this and must put up as much points as we can. This was flat out stupid. It was obvious we played some defense in the first half but UCLA also had some drops and it was not like we were keeping their yardage down. They were a second half team in their first game and we should have expected it was going to take 40+ to win this one.

4) Kill the option...TMart cannot pitch the ball correctly.

5) I am done with the designed run for TMart...it doesn't work against high caliber defenses with athletes and we usually put the ball on the turf or get crushed. If he uses his legs to run on a busted play, great...otherwise get this out of the playbook...unless you are playing an insignificant opponent, most defenses know how to defend this...its not 2009 anymore. Use our stable of RB's.

6) More Imani Cross please. He was not used correctly today. Give TMart's runs to Cross.

7) Great catch by Bell for the TD!

8) Thought the D-Line played well in first half but obviously wore down in second half.

9) It's time for guys like Ankrah, Green, and Mitchell to step up. We need more from them than we are getting. Ciante even has been playing poorly. Cooper is on the fence for me...we need him to put it all together. I think we are getting good efforts from some of the newer group like Gregory, Bando, and Gerry especially as first year players.

10) Turner needs to play smarter.

11) Not surprised we lost, but disappointed how we lost. It was either a case of 1) We thought we could sit on a lead (stupid) or 2) UCLA came out flat and we knew we'd have to take their punches in second half and we basically could not sustain them.