Post Game UCLA Tweets

Nobody

I think the goal is to keep Hundley contained. You don't want to blitz, take a defender away from coverage, and then have Hundley sidestep the blitzer -- something that he can easily do -- and take off into a wide open running lane. With guys who are effective at moving the pocket and also at taking off and running like this, containment is important and blitzing must be used judiciously, as it's risky.

VV and RG44 have both received rave reviews so far. But it sounds like we need the other positions on the DL to really step it up. If they don't it's going to be a problem, period, and that has nothing to do with scheme.

I don't know, the Mizzou game in '10(?) or the OU game in '09 we completely dominated the entirety of both games and we were underdogs in both. Now I know Pinkel isn't a very good measuring stick, but Bo completely out coached Stoops that night.

Otherwise, no we haven't beaten many teams that were better than us. That's exactly why they were better than us.

No way Missouri counts because we all know they've always been a fraud as a "top" program, so we are left with one win against one of Bob Stoops' worst teams in his career, four years ago.

Definitely don't think Missery was ever a top program...............more of a blip on the radar for a second and then they were gone. I further agree that OU team was not very good and saying that we have one win against one of Bob Stoops worst teams 4 years ago to hang our hat on is.......................very, very sad!

We weren't discussing programs that were better than us. You said teams, and Missouri was #6 when they came to Lincoln. We made them look like a MAC team. I'm not hanging my hat on the win either. I'm just saying he has shown the ability to out coach someone in-game. He is just very very inconsistent.

We also beat Oklahoma State in a shootout that year who was way better than Missouri. Everything changed after that A&M game though.

That game was a game where it was going to come down to who had the ball last literally. That game was TD after TD with zero defense from either side. I refer you to #3 of my argument, we got lucky by having one more offensive series than them to score that extra TD. Obviously this is off the top of my head so I can't say this is completely true statistically speaking.

We weren't discussing programs that were better than us. You said teams, and Missouri was #6 when they came to Lincoln. We made them look like a MAC team. I'm not hanging my hat on the win either. I'm just saying he has shown the ability to out coach someone in-game. He is just very very inconsistent.

Actually, he was talking about teams that are better than us. Saying we haven't really beaten any. You used Missouri as an example to counter his argument, but we're saying that regardless of their undeserved ranking, they weren't good and their coaches aren't good.

When we win it seems to be because of three things from what I've seen so far:

1. The coaches are equal or lesser than Bo in the coaching department..........

2. The team we are playing are physically/athletically equal/less than NU is.......

3. We got lucky and things worked out.......

I can't think of a time, right off the top of my head, where we've beaten a team in the past 6 years that was a MUCH better team than we were. I'm sure there are examples, but the ball swings more in favor of my argument IMO.

I understand that. I agree with him for the most part. I'm just saying Bo has shown the ability to out coach people in games. I know Mack Brown isn't a good coach now, but back then he was viewed as a top 3 coach in the country, and Bo made that guy look like he was coaching Pop Warner or something. Just another game that comes to mind in this discussion.

Maybe it was our ridiculous defensive talent, or maybe Bo was putting them in proper situations.

I think the goal is to keep Hundley contained. You don't want to blitz, take a defender away from coverage, and then have Hundley sidestep the blitzer -- something that he can easily do -- and take off into a wide open running lane. With guys who are effective at moving the pocket and also at taking off and running like this, containment is important and blitzing must be used judiciously, as it's risky.

I agree that containment is important with a QB like Hundley, but what about the other QB's we've faced? They seemed like pocket passers and good ones at that, at least we made them look good anyways. Containment isn't as important in that situation so blitz the guy and don't give him forever to stand in the pocket. It's gone on for years though, not just this season. Yeah you want guys to own that part of the turf on the defensive side so it cuts down on running lanes for him, but eventually you have to send in a blitz and do what you do. Bo says he wants our guys to loosen up and have fun and just play..........................LET THEM DO THAT THEN!!!! YOU'RE CONTRADICTING YOURSELF BO!!!!

Unleash the fury of the defense and let them get after the QB and be aggressive as hell with the defense. If it burns us a few times so what.............we are certainly getting burned with man to man coverage and patty cake at the defensive line in pretty much every game. Stop making Martinez be Peyton Manning because he isn't! Zone read and running is what Martinez is good at so let him do that with some passes mixed in to keep the defense on their toes. Now's the time to turn it around and just switch it up cause it certainly isn't going to hurt anything at this point. We definitely have the talent in the back field to run all over the place.

• Fire 1

As far as the missed tackles....

Yeah Bo, there were some horrific missed tackles in the third quater. Why when they miss is no one else in the same zipe code?

I have been saying the same thing for 2 years. Great defense comes from being aggressive and swarming to the ball. Great offensive players will make defenders miss. Any husker fan would be disappointed if AA or Kenny Bell was tackled one on one, That is why you need multiple players to meet at the ball.

VV and RG44 have both received rave reviews so far. But it sounds like we need the other positions on the DL to really step it up. If they don't it's going to be a problem, period, and that has nothing to do with scheme.

That way isn't and hasn't worked for a long time. Run some zone blitz stuff to force the ball out of his hands quicker, if he escapes then you have zone defenders to come up and make the stop. Trying to play man for 10 seconds is a poor way to defend anyone.

• Fire 1

Actually, he was talking about teams that are better than us. Saying we haven't really beaten any. You used Missouri as an example to counter his argument, but we're saying that regardless of their undeserved ranking, they weren't good and their coaches aren't good.

When we win it seems to be because of three things from what I've seen so far:

1. The coaches are equal or lesser than Bo in the coaching department..........

2. The team we are playing are physically/athletically equal/less than NU is.......

3. We got lucky and things worked out.......

I can't think of a time, right off the top of my head, where we've beaten a team in the past 6 years that was a MUCH better team than we were. I'm sure there are examples, but the ball swings more in favor of my argument IMO.

I understand that. I agree with him for the most part. I'm just saying Bo has shown the ability to out coach people in games. I know Mack Brown isn't a good coach now, but back then he was viewed as a top 3 coach in the country, and Bo made that guy look like he was coaching Pop Warner or something. Just another game that comes to mind in this discussion.

Maybe it was our ridiculous defensive talent, or maybe Bo was putting them in proper situations.

Sure he did fine with the best defense we've had at Nebraska since the 90's. I could do well coaching the game with that defense and I know nothing compared to a few on this board let alone Bo. Nevermind the fact you had one of the best defensive tackles to ever play the game who played like a man possessed. He's the Adrian Peterson of his position..........

I think the difference is that you're arguing based on perception of how good people are, and I'm arguing based on how good I/we think they actually are.

So what if Mack Brown used to be considered top 3? Most educated Husker fans knew he was a mediocre head coach at best - he has been exposed publicly, which means our game against Texas doesn't really hold any weight.

So what if Missouri was ranked #6? We Husker fans knew they weren't, and never have been, the sixth best team in the country. We shut them down because their coach is a worse coach then Bo (congratulations Bo, you can outcoach worse coaches than you...?) and their team was a worse team than ours. We should have beat them hard and we did.

The only games that I can think of that Bo has, for the most part, had his team perform lights out better-than-expected were against Arizona and Georgia.

I agree that containment is important with a QB like Hundley, but what about the other QB's we've faced?

Brett Smith falls in the same category. He tore us up pretty bad on the ground anyway. I think of some other QBs we've made look solid over the years....2011 and Derek Carr comes to mind, from Fresno State. He was another guy who moved the pocket well, rolled out, completed passes in the flats to backs in space.

On the other hand, the true statue pocket passers, those are the kinds of guys I think we have largely shut down. Largely. Certainly the drop-off we've had to weather since Suh, Hagg, Prince, Fonz left has contributed to less shockingly dominant performances as we saw in the early days.

As for blitzing, I'll always remember the '08 bowl game against Clemson when the announcers went, "Carl Pelini didn't dial up that blitz, he went WIFI!" :lol: Harper, I think, was the name of the Tigers QB. Don't get me wrong, we've had these move-pocket guys give us fits recently and that goes to both players and maybe scheme; I just don't think BLITZ MOAR is necessarily the answer.

Also, we did a real number on the Bruins in the first half. I think that's a blueprint for what we might see out of this D in the near future as they gel and develop. After years of fairly anemic DL play, we've got to be really excited about VV and Randy Gregory. I'm pretty optimistic about the rest of it coming together. We have some nice talent coming up through the ranks here on the defensive side of the ball.

pPJM7pm.png

XIgJZja.png

wPSYlEx.png

KYCKHQ0.png

If only there were drills where players work on tackling . . . . Bo needs to own that getting his players to execute his gameplan is as much his job as making the gameplan.

Same excuse last year - poor tackling and execution. Eight seniors graduate, new players, more poor tackling and execution. The common thread is the coaching.

I agree, except it's recruiting and not x's and o's. Recruiting falls squarely on Pelini, but I think he has done a good job of focusing on recruiting the past couple of classes.