Why Nebraska Can't Win The Big One

Husker-Joe

There are so many reasons that Nebraska and Coach Pelini have failed in the big games; bad coaching/play calling, turnovers and mistakes, lack of speed and talent, poor officiating, etc. However, if I had to put my finger on just one thing that is the main reason they have melted down and crapped their pants in big games recently.. poor QB play!

It is my opinion, that the main reason Nebraska has not gotten over the hump the last 4 years and will not get over the hump this year is Taylor Martinez. Elite QB play is the thing that consistently eludes DONU. Yes, Taylor has flashes of greatness and moments of "magic", but mostly he looks completely overwhelmed by the position. He locks on to one primary target, fails to see and hit open receivers, fails to use his check downs and safety valves, is hesitant to take off when he sees nothing but green in front of him, takes way too many sacks, and seemingly puts the ball on the ground at least twice in every big game. I know Taylor has had some great moments, he never quits and tries hard, he plays through injury and guts it out, and he seems to be a stand up guy... but he is not an elite QB capable of leading this team to championships.

In my opinion, the thing that most separates Nebraska from the best teams in college football is QB play; not having an A.J. McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Tajh Boyd, Marcus Mariotta, Braxton Miller, Teddy Bridgewater (who is making Shawn Watson look like a genius), or Brett Hundley playing QB.

Keep all the variables the same from Saturday and ask yourself these questions... 1) What happens if we switch the two head coaches? 2) What happens if we switch the two starting QB's? 3) Which switch has the greater impact on the game?

I am going to go with the QB change. Of course, it was Coach Pelini who hitched his wagon to T-magic so... ):

There are so many reasons that Nebraska and Coach Pelini have failed in the big games; bad coaching/play calling, turnovers and mistakes, lack of speed and talent, poor officiating, etc. However, if I had to put my finger on just one thing that is the main reason they have melted down and crapped their pants in big games recently.. poor QB play!

It is my opinion, that the main reason Nebraska has not gotten over the hump the last 4 years and will not get over the hump this year is Taylor Martinez. Elite QB play is the thing that consistently eludes DONU. Yes, Taylor has flashes of greatness and moments of "magic", but mostly he looks completely overwhelmed by the position. He locks on to one primary target, fails to see and hit open receivers, fails to use his check downs and safety valves, is hesitant to take off when he sees nothing but green in front of him, takes way too many sacks, and seemingly puts the ball on the ground at least twice in every big game. I know Taylor has had some great moments, he never quits and tries hard, he plays through injury and guts it out, and he seems to be a stand up guy... but he is not an elite QB capable of leading this team to championships.

In my opinion, the thing that most separates Nebraska from the best teams in college football is QB play; not having an A.J. McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Tajh Boyd, Marcus Mariotta, Braxton Miller, Teddy Bridgewater (who is making Shawn Watson look like a genius), or Brett Hundley playing QB.

Keep all the variables the same from Saturday and ask yourself these questions... 1) What happens if we switch the two head coaches? 2) What happens if we switch the two starting QB's? 3) Which switch has the greater impact on the game?

I am going to go with the QB change. Of course, it was Coach Pelini who hitched his wagon to T-magic so... ):

dead1.gif

go look at about any story on this game...you will see players quoted over and over as saying they just couldn't keep up the intensity, the focus, the excitement ...WTF!...this to me is one of the big factors. these guys just don't seem to burn for the game...I see with my sons high school football team...he starts at DE because of his intensity(and he's huge) and focus, not because he is the best pure athlete..he burns for the game and dreams of bigger things...his motor is big....a theme this Husker program was built on....in his case the better pure athletes who would challenge him just aren't interested enough so time and time again he out plays them.......at NU there are dozens of issues, but good recruiting, good athletes and intensity fix A lot of things...even piss poor QB play...

History evidently repeats itself......the topic of this thread was discussed during TO's tenure.

problem is TO won these kind of games. If he got blown out it was to a top 10 team.

I agree.....just saying the public calling to pull the coaching trigger is not new.......and our history at least gives us something to think about as far as long term results of keeping a coach in place.

History evidently repeats itself......the topic of this thread was discussed during TO's tenure.

problem is TO won these kind of games. If he got blown out it was to a top 10 team.

I agree.....just saying the public calling to pull the coaching trigger is not new.......and our history at least gives us something to think about as far as long term results of keeping a coach in place.

it just means we have standards in place and no coach should think he doesn't apply to those standards. If Bo was smart he would ask TO if he had any motivational tips he can use for his own players or any kind of help.

it just means we have standards in place and no coach should think he doesn't apply to those standards. If Bo was smart he would ask TO if he had any motivational tips he can use for his own players or any kind of help.

Yes, I'm familiar with your use of the word standards. My point is that Nebraska is a glaring example that sometimes change is short sighted. Pelini and TO have had discussions about Pelini's job being called for.

Yes, I'm familiar with your use of the word standards. My point is that Nebraska is a glaring example that sometimes change is short sighted. Pelini and TO have had discussions about Pelini's job being called for.

Yes because we should continue to get our asses kicked on national tv right? My point is Bo is too stubborn to ask for advice or help when he needs it. If he can't figure it out, ask.

In my opinion, Taylor Martinez is a really good Husker quarterback that's part of and surrounded by a mentally weak football team. Just take a look at our main page and see how many different topics and ideas people have for why Nebraska is playing so poorly. NU has so many problems and it's not just one or two things they need to work on, it's a bunch of things. What explanation can there be at this point other than the Huskers are incapable of mentally preparing for, and executing, a game plan?

There's no feasible way Nebraska doesn't try to make adjustments at half or counter what a team is doing. But, they can't execute those changes. They let adversity snowball. Experienced players (and a captain, no less) admitting they took their foot off the gas and didn't stay focused on the task at hand. And then there's the plethora of actual football fundamentals and concepts that they don't know to maintain and execute during a game. Players have come and gone, the same issues have persisted. Why this team needs insurmountable amounts of motivation and kick-in-the-ass moments, I don't know.

I'm not calling for Pelini's head, but whatever he's doing and however he is trying to coach and motivate his players isn't working. It's not just this year - it's the same issues over several years, and his most experienced/talented part of the team crapped the bed in a big way yesterday against a defense comparable to ours. I'm confident he's an extremely intelligent coach, but he and his staff apparently don't know how to make a mentally strong football team that can fight back. I think Pelini's seat is definitely hot after yesterday. Whether some fans think that's fair or not, it's true. There's a disconnect, and at this point, I'm wondering if Pelini only keeps his job by restructuring his staff, or losing his job all together. I would legitimately hate to see that because I enjoy Pelini as our coach.

I'm at a loss myself. We have some really good coaches on this team and what's being put on the field is embarrassing. Whether Pelini himself is the problem, or a couple of the assistants, I don't know. But yesterday, as Pelini pointed out, was an entire team failure.

• Fire 3