Perspective from a non-Husker

Teacher

The Husker football program was once a dynasty and was a force to be reckoned with in college football, but the dynasty fell victim to its own lust for national championships and as a result has paid the price.

The strength of the former Husker championship programs was found in the fact that a system of play had been established, worked on throughout decades of good coaching, and perfected to the point where a national championship team could be expected. The system was on a roll until Nebraska fans became impatient with Solich and he was fired before he had a chance to settle in. With the firing of Solich and the bringing in of coaches with a non-Husker football mindset, the proven Husker program was abandoned to whatever the new coach happened to like best.

This made the Huskers just another football team among the faces of many. I will admit that I am far from being a Husker fan, but this post is not an attempt to say "Ha Ha..", it is an observation of human nature. The lust for power created an impatient attitude toward winning to the point that the entire established way of playing football (The Husker approach to success) was abandoned with the firing of Solich and the result is as obvious as yesterday's performance.

Years ago, as a Husker-hater I was glad to see Solich fired because I recognized way back then that this would be the end of a football super power. Please do not read this post as a spiteful, in-your-face bash on Husker fans or players; this is simply an observation that the lust for dominance can get out of control and at this point in time, more then ever before, Husker fans are going to have to bite the bullet and be patient for a few more years before there is any hope of the former days of glory returning. It will not happen this year, or the next or the next, but dumping the program that is in place now will only make things worse. Be patient and let everyone work things out and the days of glory may return. All the talk I am reading about cleaning house and starting over with a new coaching staff will only make things worse for you guys, and better for all the anti-Huskers throughout the nation.

Edited by zoogies
paragraphs
  • Fire 1

I believe it was the result of an impatient attitude that dominated everyone from the fan in the cheap seats all the way up to the power at the top. The refusal to accept anything short of an immediate national championship-quality level of play eventually bit everyone in the butt. Who knows how things would be today if the Huskers had been more patient way back then?

That's pretty insightful...maybe you can explain to me why my Cyclones suck. We lust for power and dominance too you know. We hired an ISU guy and we sucked....we got rid of the ISU guy and got a guy from a powerhouse winning program and then we really sucked...and now we have gone back to another ISU guy and we started out kind of sucking but this year we are back to all out suck again...

Never was much on psycho-babble...think Nebraska has gotten caught up in the big "we gotta get the exciting skill position players to keep up with the times" trend instead of concentrating on what Nebraska always did best which was find big, nasty bastards on the offensive front who could open up holes big enough for my grandma to waddle through for a first down and killers on the defensive front who will smash an opposing ball carrier to the ground and then help him up just so he can knock him down again. Nebraska needs to find some big, mean guys who like to hit things because those are the guys who you build a program around.

Skill players...hah? Throw a football at anybody and his first instinct is to catch it, the second instinct usually to run with it...or kick it (if he is from Europe) or throw it back. Give me the guy that knocks the guy trying to throw him the ball on his ass before he has a chance to mess with him. That's the kind of guy I want to build my team around.

• Fire 1

Maybe go to Canada and get a hockey player.

Cy, I feel you pain man. I grew up in Iowa and am a die-hard Hawks fan living in South Dakota where suck is the norm. In Iowa lately, "suck" has become a way of life as far as football is concerned. Neither of our teams had a dynasty to flush away, we just suck naturally. (By the way, My condolences on the game yesterday. You guys have been putting it to my Hawks, so yesterday came out to be our turn.)

Edited by zoogies
and again

Solich by no means had things rolling, but with time he would have settled in. The program was strong enough to carry him till he got his feet on the ground.

You are wrong. And I have no interest in exhuming a ten year old corpse of horse in order to beat it for you.

Continue with your glee of NU being down and sending your "I'm no Husker fan but here's the deal...." posts. They are riveting.

Edited by zoogies
No edits; this was perfect use of the quote tag! Far away post, brief excerpt. Thanks, NUpolo8!

Talking to a lot of friends back home, the days of Bob and Tom are over. There will never be anything close, to what those two did for Neb football, over a span like that. There will probably be some good to great seasons every once in awhile, but never just a reload type program again. Those teams were stocked with Neb kids, and a few skill players from around the country. The pride of playing on those teams was taught to the out of state recruits. Not saying there is not a lot of pride on this team, just that there might be a little quit in them, when the game starts to turn on them. You never watched Bob or Tom"s team react like that. The coaches not being able to adjust and give them something different, to help them on the field, doesn't give them much confidence in their game plan, or maybe their coaches. Bo wants to win as bad as all of us want him to. He may need to go outside his staff and look, for maybe a different coach or two, to bring some new ideas, to help him. GBR!!!