Suggestions for Improving this Forum

Bruleif

This is a great forum - much better architecturally than the Bruin ones I have seen. But I think it could be made better as follows:

1. Do not allow "quoting" of previous posts. The quoting of previous quotes make posts unecessarily long - some of them very, very long. Sometimes you have to do a LOT of scrolling to get to the new post.

2. Instead of the quoting feature, add a feature where the poster can display the title of the referenced post or some kind of reference number so he/she does not have to go through a lot of text to find the new post yet can still find the post being responded to.

3. Don't allow posting DURING the game. Most of them add little or no value. I know that they give fans a chance to vent, so maybe I am wrong here. Most of them wanted Pelini and his staff to be machine-gunned before the game was over!

Just my humble opinion.

This is a great forum - much better architecturally than the Bruin ones I have seen. But I think it could be made better as follows:

1. Do not allow "quoting" of previous posts. The quoting of previous quotes make posts unecessarily long - some of them very, very long. Sometimes you have to do a LOT of scrolling to get to the new post.

2. Instead of the quoting feature, add a feature where the poster can display the title of the referenced post or some kind of reference number so he/she does not have to go through a lot of text to find the new post yet can still find the post being responded to.

3. Don't allow posting DURING the game. Most of them add little or no value. I know that they give fans a chance to vent, so maybe I am wrong here. Most of them wanted Pelini and his staff to be machine-gunned before the game was over!

Just my humble opinion.

1. Bad idea. Especially when you want to respond to the specifics of what someone said; for example, bolding a particular point they made.

2. Someone will look into it.

3. Easy there, Chairman Bruleif. The purpose of having the game thread (one thread, among dozens of active on a given day) is so that fans can get together virtually and talk about the game as it happens. Useless posts or no--and most of them probably are--that's what the message board is for. To talk football, whenever, wherever.

Hey Bruleif,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. We've put in limits on quotes per post, but that's about all we can do. Quoting has value, not least of which is it notifies the original poster, who can then find the reply easily...but it is often misused. Horribly misused.

Best we can do is discourage it. Don't quote pyramid guys. Come on. A quote within a quote within a quote within a quote just to post a smiley face? Don't do it! You can edit some of those quotes out.

I don't believe it is possible to put limits on nested quotes, which is unfortunate.

2. That's not a bad thought, if IPB had that feature...but I'm thinking this is likely not possible without some fundamental changes to the code and how quoting works. Going to have to go with an 'unlikely' here :( At least for now.

3. We try to keep most of the discussion in the Game Day thread and that's always a lot of fun. And it's a big draw. For the most part the venting sprouts up afterwards....yeah, a lot of it is questionable on the value meter, but hey. It's sort of what we're here for, as a forum: to give those angry fans a place to vent.

After a day or two it usually settles down, and we get better discussions.

Glad to see you've stuck around, by the way! We are of course hoping the Bruins go undefeated. :)

I wonder if the OP is from bruinzone - the members there love their fossilized, inefficient bbs software and for the life of me i can't figure out why.

Also, as far as "finding" new posts - it's pretty simple. The board remembers where you left off in threads, so if you click on the red folder icon next to the thread title, instead of clicking on the title itself, it will take you to the first unread post. Handy stuff.

• 3 months later...

Shouldn't we have a general "College Football" subforum?

Seems like outside of Husker Football and Recruiting, probably the third largest chunk of the posting on the board has to do with other CFB games and talking points, and it seems weird to me that it just gets buried in "Other Sports"

Just throwin' that out there. The "Husker Football" subforum has been filled with stuff about other games and programs lately that have either been moved or need to be moved. And maybe it's a bad idea since there would be a lot of redundancy with the "Big Ten" subforum. I don't know. Maybe I'm just aimlessly rambling.

One thing I like to see is a hyperlink at the top of each post when you open it that would allow me to jump to the first unread reply. I find myself having to scroll through pages just to get to the most recent response on the mobile version.

One thing I like to see is a hyperlink at the top of each post when you open it that would allow me to jump to the first unread reply. I find myself having to scroll through pages just to get to the most recent response on the mobile version.

We have this already. It's at the far left of the thread title, the little envelope. Hover over it and it says "Go to first unread post." Click it and you've got your wish.

Another option - clicking the time stamp below the name of the last person to post in the thread takes you to the last post, regardless of how many of the previous posts you've read.