Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

Martinez is also in position to record 9,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards, needing 2,409 passing yards and 142 rushing yards to reach those figures. If he would accomplish that feat he would join Colin Kaepernick as the only players in FBS history to reach the 9,000/3,000 career mark. Martinez is already just the 12th player in FBS history to pass for 6,000 yards and rush for 2,500 yards in a career.

Sorry, I can't get too excited about 170 yards passing per game and 60 yards rushing. Combine that with his record # of turnovers, inconsistency, and epic fails in big games, and it stinks to be honest. Just because BP has blindly stuck with him even when hurt does not mean much to me. Finally we will see if that changes, a great (and yet another) litmus test for these coaches, most all of which they have failed up until now.

I do care what you say, and appreciate that many NU fans want to defend TM to the end. I'm just calling it putting lipstick on a pig. I am fine with saying TM was one of our "greats" after the fact, but truthfully how many of us are not counting the days until that day comes privately and wishing it was sooner than later?

I am a little too harsh to say his stats "stink", but NU career passing stats are absurdly low compared to most schools. Most of Martinez stats accumulated volume is solely due to longevity as a starter, not those being "great stats" by any stretch.

It would take 9500 yards to even crack the NCAA career top 100. That does not sound like an all time great career to me. Those are mediocre passing stats when viewed nationally.

3000 rushing yards in a career, not bad for a QB at all! Too bad he can't run at all right now and really has trouble with good defenses, like those found on teams that might just be able to blow us out severely.

• Fire 1

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

Worst case: TM starts, gets hurt worse. Prepare for future anyway.

I think best case is best.

With Bo's job on the line the foolishness of Bo making Martinez play hurt are over. You forget Martinez was once a freshman with no meaningful snaps. What do you do next year when Martinez isn't here anymore and all your qb's have seen snippets of action? There is a reason why our backups leave because no matter what Bo plays Martinez no matter what.

Have you ever had turf toe?

I have.

Re-read my post. I said if we handle bizness backups will be in by the 3rd anyway. If Martinez gets hurt worse, you get your wish of having plenty of time to groom unproven backups.

As far as a once unproven Martinez getting thrown in? Who else did we have? Lee WAS NOT BO's PLAYER. GREENE WAS NO GOOD.

He hitched his wagon to taylor and all Taylor has done is break all the records and take us to 2 CCG. Is he the best player God created? NO.

But he's better (especially given all that has gone on this week) to lead the team. We have a bye next week. If we handle business, he won't be in past halftime anyway.

I am a little too harsh to say his stats "stink", but NU career passing stats are absurdly low compared to most schools. Most of Martinez stats accumulated volume is solely due to longevity as a starter, not those being "great stats" by any stretch.

It would take 9500 yards to even crack the NCAA career top 100. That does not sound like an all time great career to me. Those are mediocre passing stats when viewed nationally.

3000 rushing yards in a career, not bad for a QB at all! Too bad he can't run at all right now and really has trouble with good defenses, like those found on teams that might just be able to blow us out severely.

Other Husker records not having to do with longevity:

#1, #4 & #8 Total Offense Seasons

#3 & #7 Passing yard seasons

#3, #7 & #8 Total Offense in a game

#9 Passing yards in a game

Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Overall Total Offense in a season

Total Offense TDs in a season

Freshman and Sophomore Total Offense records for a game

Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Passing yards in a season

Freshman passing yards in a game

Completion % in a game (min. 10 attempts)

Rushing yards by a QB in a game

Rushing TDs by a QB in a game

Not bad for a QB? He started the year as the #8 career rusher at Nebraska for any position and, if he stays healthy, will very likely be at least #3 after the year and maybe #2.

• Fire 2

Not bad? That's an understatement.

Most folks want a dual threat QB.

Martinez is also in position to record 9,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards, needing 2,409 passing yards and 142 rushing yards to reach those figures. If he would accomplish that feat he would join Colin Kaepernick as the only players in FBS history to reach the 9,000/3,000 career mark.

Martinez is already just the 12th player in FBS history to pass for 6,000 yards and rush for 2,500 yards in a career.

But the MO under Bo is to let a 75% Martinez play over a 100% backup.

And none of us should voice loud criticism towards that, because Bo and co. are the only ones that know if a 75% Martinez is a better or worse chance to win than a 100% backup.

Play who gives you the best shot to win. Period. If that's a less effective Martinez, then it is.

How would Bo know, he has never given them an opportunity to get game experience and we have heard that Armstrong has the it factor. Gamers game, how can they really even compare without real time in games? If we are losing that badly and the other guy isn't getting it done why not let your backup get some experience?

I'll take TM at 85% over a redshirt freshman or a guy who never seen meaningful snaps in game.

Best case scenario: Taylor starts, we come guns blazing, up huge early 3rd qtr, no real hits on TM cuz we should own them upfront, running game is full effect....backups in early 3rd qtr

With Bo's job on the line the foolishness of Bo making Martinez play hurt are over. You forget Martinez was once a freshman with no meaningful snaps. What do you do next year when Martinez isn't here anymore and all your qb's have seen snippets of action? There is a reason why our backups leave because no matter what Bo plays Martinez no matter what.

I have.

Re-read my post. I said if we handle bizness backups will be in by the 3rd anyway. If Martinez gets hurt worse, you get your wish of having plenty of time to groom unproven backups.

As far as a once unproven Martinez getting thrown in? Who else did we have? Lee WAS NOT BO's PLAYER. GREENE WAS NO GOOD.

He hitched his wagon to taylor and all Taylor has done is break all the records and take us to 2 CCG. Is he the best player God created? NO.

But he's better (especially given all that has gone on this week) to lead the team. We have a bye next week. If we handle business, he won't be in past halftime anyway.

I'll say again, absolutely not. We want to have a completely healthy Martinez for conference play. Playing an unhealthy Martinez is just going to slow his recovery.

I don't care if he plays 1 quarter or 4, if hes not completely heathly he should not start the game.

Lets go look at Braxton Miller. He knows the offense better, so they definitely should have started him last week even injured right? RIGHT?

No. Let him heal up. Our best chance for the B1G championship is with a Martinez who is 100% healthy for the run in November. Rushing him now is absurd.

Also, as far as this Martinez not a good QB argument goes. He isn't the greatest QB to play, but he isnt the worst. His stats are very good but he is also a 4 year starter. There are very few QBs out there in big time programs that start all 4 years in thier career. I don't care how you spin the stats, Martinez isn't a pocket passer, and needs his wheels to make him an effective qb in our system. End of story.

How would Bo know, he has never given them an opportunity to get game experience and we have heard that Armstrong has the it factor. Gamers game, how can they really even compare without real time in games? If we are losing that badly and the other guy isn't getting it done why not let your backup get some experience?

So ... you didn't watch the S. Miss game?

I have.

If we are good enough to have things put away by half, we should be good enough to win easily with RKIII and TA. Why not get a jump on the rehab to make sure he is %100 by the start of conference play?

The bolded seems to make the case for starting TA this week.

• Fire 1

Also, what say you when the scorching bright lights of the entire nation are shining on Lincoln this weekend, due to the Tommie/Bo tirade and the Bo leaked tape, and a red shirt or walkon QB craps their pants the first 3-4 series and we are in a dog fight??

PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS TO WIN THE GAME.

When it's no longer in doubt, put in the backups. Our offense seriously needs game reps to get better. Why not get some, a la SMiss.

That's best case scenario.

Also, what say you when the scorching bright lights of the entire nation are shining on Lincoln this weekend, due to the Tommie/Bo tirade and the Bo leaked tape, and a red shirt or walkon QB craps their pants the first 3-4 series and we are in a dog fight??

PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS TO WIN THE GAME.

When it's no longer in doubt, put in the backups. Our offense seriously needs game reps to get better. Why not get some, a la SMiss.

That's best case scenario.

If Taylor is hurt and plays with the hesistant nature that he has the last couple weeks, HE IS NOT THE BEST PLAYER TO PLAY. Period. I am a TM fan but if he is hurt than sit him on the bench. We do not need him for this game.

I think it goes without saying a limping Martinez takes away a part of what makes him dangerous/special. But, the only reason you sit Martinez is to preserve his body for B1G play, not because of potential upside from RKIII/TA. Martinez is by far our best quarterback, but you have to look beyond just the physical side of everything. Martinez' ability to adjust the play at the LOS and read defenses in a game setting is second to none because he's done it the most. The balancing act is determining whether or not that knowledge and a gimpy toe outweighs the health/inexperience of the backup.

Face value - I sit Martinez. NU *should* be able to take care of SDSU, and since I believe we have a bye week the following week, that's a solid three weeks to let Martinez rest the foot.

I think that is one of Martinez' biggest weaknesses. I also don't think he is our best QB. I would put that on Tommy right now.

I bolded the even weirder part of the quote . This blind faith that TM is the only QB we can get remotely get ready to play kills me. For four years now, really?

Time for these coaches to go then, for failing to have but only one game ready QB for 4 full years! That's unacceptable!

Wait, wait, wait. "Blind faith?" In a four year starter that knows the system better than anybody? Do you two not see the irony and hypocrisy in saying some have blind faith in Martinez, and then RedPhoenix blatantly states Tommy Armstrong is our best QB? Where is that evidence? Where is that substantiated?

That's arguably one of the most ludicrous things I've read on this board all week.

I never said the other quarterbacks aren't ready. I've tip-toed around it but I'll just come out and say it - there's absolutely no way Tommy Armstrong has a better mental grasp of this offense than Martinez, no way that Armstrong is anywhere near as capable of reading college defenses and making correct adjustments at the LOS. He's a redshirt freshman. This is in no way saying that TA doesn't have potential, but I have four years of progression and evidence to substantiate Martinez' play-making and defense reading capabilities. What do you two have?

I'll tell you what you have - a few garbage plays against Southern Miss.

But, let's just throw this all out the window. Obviously, the coaches are going to play their favorites because their jobs aren't in jeopardy, or anything like that.

High fives all around. I apologize for my ass hattery, but some of these opinions are downright ridiculous and lack any form of substantial evidence.

• Fire 1