Government Shutdown

Wha?????

Everything I have heard from the Dems is "WE WILL NOT NEGOTIATE".

why would they? and what should they give up just to get the republicans to do their jobs and vote on a budget?

I'm not necessarily saying they should. My comment was about his post claiming the Dems are at least pretending to negotiate when every Dem I have heard speak on this has said absolutely no negotiating.

I'm not necessarily saying they should. My comment was about his post claiming the Dems are at least pretending to negotiate when every Dem I have heard speak on this has said absolutely no negotiating.

they has been compromise. i do not know how meaningful this is, but it has gotten lost in the shuffle:

While Cantor is right that Democrats aren't exactly in the talking mood, the suggestion that they aren’t willing to negotiate ignores that they’ve already given Republicans a major win. The continuing resolution that the White House and congressional Democrats have agreed to funds the government at sequestration levels. And even some members of Cantor's own caucus admit that they got the good end of that deal.

“It is a concession, I acknowledge that,” Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) told The Huffington Post on Saturday. “I was glad to see that lower number. It didn’t take defense spending into account. We still have a big discrepancy between the House and Senate version. But there has been some compromise and I acknowledge that.”

Harry Reid Compromised On Shutdown Negotiation, House Republican Acknowledges

Despite the rhetoric, the GOP doesn't want to negotiate. If they did they'd put down the gun. They want unilateral concessions. That's not a negotiation.

I thought America didn't negotiate with terrorists?

http://www.nationalj...licans-20131007

19 Times Democrats Tried to Negotiate With Republicans

1. 4/23 Senator Reid requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Toomey blocked.

2. 5/6 Senator Reid requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Cruz blocked.

3. 5/7 Senator Murray requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator McConnell blocked.

4. 5/8 Senator Warner asked unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator McConnell blocked.

5. 5/9 Senator Murray asked unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator McConnell blocked.

6. 5/14 Senator Warner asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator McConnell blocked.

7. 5/15 Senator Wyden asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator McConnell blocked.

8. 5/16 Senator Murray asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Lee blocked.

9. 5/21 Senator Murray asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Paul blocked.

10. 5/22 Senator Kaine asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Rubio blocked.

11. 5/23 Senator McCaskill asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Lee blocked.

12. 6/4 Senator Murray asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Rubio blocked.

13. 6/12 Senator Kaine asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Lee blocked.

14. 6/19 Senator Murray asked unanimous consent to go to conference, and Senator Toomey blocked.

15. 6/26 Senator Murray requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Cruz blocked.

16. 7/11 Senator Murray requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Marco Rubio blocked.

17. 7/17 Senator Murray requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Mike Lee blocked.

18. 8/1 Senator Durbin requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Marco Rubio blocked.

19. 10/2 Senator Murray requested unanimous consent to go to conference, Senator Toomey blocked.

GZhLePX.jpg

Oh...now that there's a government shutdown, we really, really want to negotiate, and spend time tweeting photos of us pretending to do so.

Lucy van Pelt for Speak of the House!

• Fire 2

Despite the rhetoric, the GOP doesn't want to negotiate. If they did they'd put down the gun. They want unilateral concessions. That's not a negotiation.

Just about every time I feel the need to post I just read you, Carlfense, and hit the plus one button.

The president called for the GOP to "end this farce" a week ago. And that's all it is. A farce.

The moronic GOP had already scored a budget victory. And instead of taking yes for an answer, they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and are now engaging in the kind of economic terrorism real terrorists could only dream of. I don't know of any way that Al Quaeda could crash the world economy so quickly or thoroughly. Yet that's exactly what the GOP is threatening to do if they don't get . . . well . . . something, as one of the more idiotic tea partiers put it.

Usually in a hostage scenario--which is all this is--the criminals will issue a list of demands. The GOP can't even do that. They don't even know what this is about, or why it's happening. They have no leadership, no strategy, no results sought. And the President is absolutely correct in his stance to not negotiate. Because of Republican incompetence there is no sensible offer on the table (and as you mentioned, what they want is not a negotiation but a concession). More importantly, if you set the precedent that the world economy is going to be a bargaining chip every six months for the minority party to play with, our democracy would effectively cease to exist. Not to mention it would make some kind of financial catastrophe all but inevitable.

I really thought the Tea Party had reached its most base level of stupidity, ignorance, and incompetence. But, as I'm finding out, the sun rises, and there they are digging that hole deeper and deeper every day.

• Fire 6

The worst part of all this? After this debacle is over, the GOP won't lose any followers. The people who supported them yesterday will support them tomorrow because "that's my party" without ever once thinking how from their ideals that party has strayed. The party of Reagan Republicans? Holy hell, not on your life.

We have a nation of nonthinkers. That is precisely why we have this mess. And why we'll have it again and again and again until people stop to actually think about what this kind of "leadership" is.

• Fire 4

In the middle of a possible debt crissis and our House Member's are wooried about imagration reform.

Police arrest 8 House members at immigration rally

WASHINGTON (AP) — At least eight Democratic members of the House were among about 200 people arrested Tuesday after they blocked a main street near the Capitol during a massive rally seeking to push Republicans to hold a vote on a stalled immigration reform bill.

Police would not identify those arrested. Representatives of the social policy organization Center for Community Change and The Associated Press witnessed the arrests of Reps. John Lewis, D-Ga.; Luis Gutiérrez, D-Ill.; Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz.; Keith Ellison, D-Minn.; Joseph Crowley and Charles Rangel, both D-N.Y.; Al Green, D-Texas; and Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill.,