Big Red Breakfast Tweets

knapplc

The good QBs we had in the 90s were great system QBs. They didn't have to have NFL talent because we ran a system designed around their talent.

So is Taylor a "real" quarterback or not, and what's the criteria? Were Tommie, Eric, Scott, Vince, Turner and others "real" quarterbacks? Which quarterback(s) on the roster are "real"?

Yes, he's a real qb. He's also a system qb. A system designed around his legs, and the threat that his legs bring to the table. If that threat isnt there, or he's reluctant to show it off every now and then, he does more harm than good i think. his throwing ability exclusively is not that good, but combined with his running ability and the threat of, it's very effective. It has to be a total package.

Great answer. I've never understood those that want to put TMart in the list of elite NU QBs. But true, that when all his different QB aspects are at full strength, hes a very formidable challenge to a defense. When healthy he's an elite running QB, that has average, at best, passing/decision making ability. I would not rank TMart's passing/decision making ability ahead of many of our previous running QBs (I'd probably put his passing prowess with the likes of Jammal Lord.)

It just looked like a completely different offense. And it never looked back. That's all I'm sayin. It's about the offense as a whole here.

Well, I definitely agree with you that one player really can change the entire face of an offense. Nothing against Berringer, or even Turman for that matter, but nobody - nobody - ran that offense like Frazier did. He was the quintessential, dictionary definition of a field general/extension of the head coach. When the ball was in Frazier's hands it felt like anything was possible.

TA could certainly be that type of player, but he is really going to have to perform above and beyond expectations if he's going to supplant Martinez. I know you're not predicting he will, of course. Just throwing it out there.

Great answer. I've never understood those that want to put TMart in the list of elite NU QBs. But true, that when all his different QB aspects are at full strength, hes a very formidable challenge to a defense. When healthy he's an elite running QB, that has average, at best, passing/decision making ability. I would not rank TMart's passing/decision making ability ahead of many of our previous running QBs (I'd probably put his passing prowess with the likes of Jammal Lord.)

The reason TM gets thrown in that conversation is a look at his statistical impact. Compare his 2012 season to that of former Heisman winner Eric Crouch, or former QB should-have-won-the-Heisman Tommie Frazier. Crouch's Heisman season featured 1,500 yards pass, 7 pass TD's, 1100 yards rushing and 18 rushing TD's. Frazier had about 1,500 yards passing, 18 pass TD's, 803 yards rushing and 16 rushing TD's.

Martinez, in 2012, threw for 2,800 yards, 23 TD's, rushed for more than 1,000 yards and had 10 TD's.

Statistically, Martinez has had seasons I would put as comparable to those guys. But, TM certainly didn't have the same kind of teams around him.

That's about as far as the comparison between the three I'll go. There are other factors that differentiate. But, statistically, he is there.

It just looked like a completely different offense. And it never looked back. That's all I'm sayin. It's about the offense as a whole here.

I know you're not predicting he will, of course. Just throwing it out there.

Youre right. I'm not predicting. I'm not hoping either. But I am curious. I'm also not writing it off, cuz it's not totally out of realm.

I believe that Martinez could be a really really good QB if he really wanted it. He just always seems to get in his own way and not with just the TO's, or when things get really tough his injuries pop up. The guy has a lot of excuses, but it really boils down to how bad you want it, and as a QB your team will follow you if you lead fearlessly. IMO he should have came out and played as though it was the last of his career and he just didn't. He let another excuse get in the way.

@HuskerExtraBR

Fisher, about the Martinez turf toe: "I heard about it on Monday."

This concerns me. It's also what I kind of took away from Beck's comments tuesday night after practice, that there just seems to be a little bitterness from the staff. Just seems to be more to this than what we know. Kind of unfortunate if there is. I hope there's not, but I just have this feeling that the Martinez era could very well at the end.

Actually I think it might be just that it's a worse injury than they're letting on -- and this is the familiar coachspeak about injury where they're not forthcoming with details.

I believe that Martinez could be a really really good QB if he really wanted it. He just always seems to get in his own way and not with just the TO's, or when things get really tough his injuries pop up. The guy has a lot of excuses, but it really boils down to how bad you want it, and as a QB your team will follow you if you lead fearlessly. IMO he should have came out and played as though it was the last of his career and he just didn't. He let another excuse get in the way.

Shame on you for implying that Taylor doesn't want it bad enough, with the work he's put in and the sh#t he's dealt with.

• Fire 5

Regardless of who plays between TA and RKIII, I am just excited to see some deep throws. Both these guys are far better deep ball throwers than Taylor and with our receivers, I want to see us stretch the field deep and make some plays.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Taylor's got an arm and it's one of the things that's in his arsenal.

Shame on you for implying that Taylor doesn't want it bad enough, with the work he's put in and the sh#t he's dealt with.

I agree. I'm anxious to see Armstrong to, but I will NEVER question Taylor's work ethic or will to win. But we have to realize, everyone has their limits. Have we seen Taylor's? Right now, the consensus seems to be yes.

• Fire 1

I agree. I'm anxious to see Armstrong to, but I will NEVER question Taylor's work ethic or will to win. But we have to realize, everyone has their limits. Have we seen Taylor's? Right now, the consensus seems to be yes.

This. Exactly this.

I've never been on the Taylor "bandwagon" as I've always recognized his limitations, specifically after he was injured in 2010 and continued to "attempt" to play. At the same time, I recognized that he is/was our best option as we literally had nothing of merit behind him. He has always been turnover prone, has continually made poor decisions (specifically trying to force things when they aren't there) and has never struck me as a QB that will win us a big game, because he never excels against high level athletes - as they scheme out his running ability for the most part (most DCs will tell you they'd be okay with him breaking off one big play, but not letting that turn into 2 or 3 due to a dip in confidence. I believe one DC even said that they told their D that they expect him to break lose at least one play, because thats who he is and they hammered it into them so that when it happened, they weren't surprised. "Just like coach told us.") Now that he is hurt, we actually have capable backups that should be able to get playing time - one of which, has been highly touted by media, coaches, and other players for quite sometime - one that can run the ball and from all accounts, appears to make solid decisions with the ball and can pass the rock pretty well. We also have RK3 who is most likely the best passer of the three. I truly believe TA is the middle ground, a true dual threat, passing and running. While yes, Taylor has amassed quite the chunk of yards passing (it is undeniable), he has also had the luxury of being a starting QB for nearly 4 years and a majority of the time, people were stacking the box trying to prevent him from running. However, lets not forget all of his fumbles, interceptions, or flat out knucklehead decisions. Now, they build a wall in front of him and drop everyone and coverage and make him beat them with his arm. Also, I can't help but think that our playbook will be significantly more diverse with one of the other two running the offense, at least in time. Maybe not this week or next, but once they establish a comfort level and zone.

Will I be glad to have a fresh face that can provide us with more opportunities (hopefully)? You betcha. Do I think that player is on this roster? Yup. Do I know for sure? Nope.

I'm just looking for hope.

Now with all of that said, I would never question his work ethic, ever. He has gone through hell with this program, and I'll be damned if I don't thank him for his time and service and cheer the guy into the record books.

I know Husker nation hates to hear it, but sometimes the successor to the QB is better than the previous QB. You've got to trust your coaches and their recruiting ability. Now just because TA/Stanton/Whoever it may be might not put up the numbers of Taylor (for various reasons), they could be more efficient which would make them a better QB. If Ameer Abdullah turned the ball over once for every 1.5 TD's he accounted for, you should probably look at starting someone more efficient, shouldn't you? Thats how I feel with Taylor. Great guy, great person, decent qb. But I'm ready for change. Something that will bring us the hope we had when Taylor was tearing through UW @ UW with his legs. Or KState @ KState.

• Fire 3