Papuchis: "I was stunned"

From Sipple's Article this AM: "I was stunned," said Nebraska defensive coordinator John Papuchis. "Like, I can't believe I'm watching what I'm watching."

Like, like, like, HOW IN THE WORLD IS HE STUNNED? How would anyone be stunned? Currently, I have zero doubt that the dudes in the last couple of recruiting classes (both sides of the ball) are going to be special....but at this point using the word 'stunned' for anything this defense does, short of a lockdown-shutout against an offensive powerhouse is just ludicrous!

Honestly, I think the most stunning thing about our D right now is that they are turning in one of the very best interception shows in the country, rivaling 2003 Bo's team and yet....still nearly dead last in every other category! The flashes of potential are awesome, however. Like everyone, hope it all gets pulled together.

Alright - I'm off to go run the Omaha Marathon...........LATER!

I just read some post game notes from Pap and Kaz, seems like they plan on using more 1 gap and pressure more. This might be what alot of people have been calling for. I would think it would help against alot of running teams in the B10. :wasted

From owh:

“You can't keep doing things that guys can't do,” Papuchis said. “Experimenting time is over. ...

“We gotta figure out what the identity of this defense is gonna be. We may have to play a little bit different than we played in the past. We may have to be a more pressure team or a more gapped-out team.”

“It simplifies the scheme,” Papuchis said. “But the question you've got to ask yourself is are you good enough to play that way? Down after down. Can you just play single-high, gap out and pressure? You have to be pretty talented to be able to live that way every play.”

I just read some post game notes from Pap and Kaz, seems like they plan on using more 1 gap and pressure more. This might be what alot of people have been calling for. I would think it would help against alot of running teams in the B10. :wasted

From owh:

“You can't keep doing things that guys can't do,” Papuchis said. “Experimenting time is over. ...

“We gotta figure out what the identity of this defense is gonna be. We may have to play a little bit different than we played in the past. We may have to be a more pressure team or a more gapped-out team.”

“It simplifies the scheme,” Papuchis said. “But the question you've got to ask yourself is are you good enough to play that way? Down after down. Can you just play single-high, gap out and pressure? You have to be pretty talented to be able to live that way every play.”

It actually may not be better against the run, but that is assuming you can play two gap. Which they can't. We go to what Pap is talking about we are going to put even upon to even more pressure on the back 7 the we do already. Gotta try something. Glad to see them considering adjustments.

Bo does deserve blame for defensive woes in the same way we gave him credit for defensive success early on in his tenure. As for me, I will continue to bang the drum of recruiting. Even if you go with the thought that the young guys we have on D will eventually be the answer, you have to also ask the question.... Why is there such a gap in recruting that we are asking so many sophomores, redshirt frosh and frosh to get the job done? Where are the experienced juniors and seniors? It's not like we have had a bunch of guys leaving early for the NFL here.

And if you go with the idea that some of these young guys are NOT the answer, then you have to ask the next question.... When are we going to recruit the guys that ARE the answer to our problems? This year's class recruiting class doesn't look all that much better than last year's or the year before.

Bo tells us that we end up with the recruits that really fit our system. And he tells us that he turns over every stone in recruiting. Fine if the guys play up. They aren't. One of the LBs that I thought was going to be very good is getting beat out by a true frosh. That can't be good.

This year's class recruiting class doesn't look all that much better than last year's or the year before.

One of the LBs that I thought was going to be very good is getting beat out by a true frosh.

This years recruiting doesn't look better? Seriously?? Well, then you go on to say one of our true freshmen LBs is better than an upperclassmen, so I guess you answered your own question.

This year's class recruiting class doesn't look all that much better than last year's or the year before.

One of the LBs that I thought was going to be very good is getting beat out by a true frosh.

This years recruiting doesn't look better? Seriously?? Well, then you go on to say one of our true freshmen LBs is better than an upperclassmen, so I guess you answered your own question.

QFT TheSker. The contradiction in that post is amazing.

It's absolutely Bos fault. Or maybe this true freshman is just that good?

Come on man....