I guess the questions that beg to be asked are: What level of prior dishonesty is considered permissible for a potential Nebraska coaching hire? At what point are we willing to look the other way in our pursuit for success? Help me out here, because isn't that what I'm reading?

Well stated. Tressel and Petrino should get no consideration whatsoever.

They both did bad things, and IMHO, Petrino's was worse. I have the utmost distaste for people that cheat on their significant others, or selfishly hurt their families in the name of a young woman/man and a good time. That said, they've both paid their price and deserve a shot somewhere, and I wouldn't be up in arms if that place turned out to be Nebraska.

And junior, I definitely agree there are more lucrative locations for a coach than Nebraska. We all know that. We've got quite a few disadvantages. But, I do take solace in the fact that we could pay him just about whatever he wanted. And I'd still put Nebraska at a Top 15 job in the country. But, I don't think you can make a potential coach's desire to leave a significant factor in your hiring process, unless it's blatantly obvious he's looking to jump somewhere. Why? Look at Saban. Alabama fans are slowly becoming terrified that he may bolt for the blemished portion of his career - the NFL. While it's important to take into consideration a person's long term goals, I think you take that risk with just about any hire.

Off the top of my head, the only jobs I don't think you would ever bail out on are USC, Alabama, LSU or Texas. But, I could even see someone bailing Alabama/LSU in favor of Texas.

MY mom worked with Craig Bohls wife, and she told her that Bohl was cheating on her.

No one has mentioned John Gruden. Thats my dream coach. Has he talked about going back into caoching? He has been out a pretty long time now

Yes I believe that Bohl is divorced because of this.

I have never understood the love affair with Gruden. Not saying he is or isn't a great coach, but he had what 2-3 decent years at Oakland when they had some talent and then he moved to Tampa and won the Super Bowl with a team that Tony Dungy built. Then the team slowly slid into mediocrity and he was fired. I guess I have never thought he is that great a coach. Yeah, he looks like Chuckie and can scowl with the best of them, but meh, I don't get the love affair some have with him. It is like Herm Edwards or Ray Rhodes or Brian Billick I just don't see why he is thought of being so great.

If it comes to BP being fired at the end of the season, I think they really should go after Pederson at BSU. Living up here in Bronco country I am getting the feeling that he may be ready to make a change. Just a feeling. I know he has had offers before, but nothing was really that good a fit as Nebraska would be to him. BSU is a program a lot like Nebraska, it just doesn't have as much history.

The glitz and glamour of some programs would not really interest him. He is a grinder and his personality is a little like TO's, a little bland to listen to talk to but very dynamic on the field.

Just my opinion.

One more thing, Nebraska is not a rebuilding project, it may need a reboot, but if Pelini is fired the next coach is not coming into a situation where the cupboard is bare, it may just need a little different direction and refocusing.

I am also in Idaho. As it were, I would not think that Peterson would make the move to NU. Perhaps the $ would entice him. But he has a good gig in Boise and I am not sure why he would move to NU except for money. Of course, many people do things for money.

Boise is a great place to live (almost always in the top 5 in the nation rankings) and his team has had success. And the pressure is less. So... it would take a great deal to get him to move. If he were interested in NU... NU should take a look. Peterson's teams are very well coached.

Again just a feeling I have. I don't think a lot of places out there would really be a great fit for Peterson, but I think Nebraska would be.

So where do you live in Idaho?

If it comes to BP being fired at the end of the season, I think they really should go after Pederson at BSU. Living up here in Bronco country I am getting the feeling that he may be ready to make a change. Just a feeling. I know he has had offers before, but nothing was really that good a fit as Nebraska would be to him. BSU is a program a lot like Nebraska, it just doesn't have as much history.

The glitz and glamour of some programs would not really interest him. He is a grinder and his personality is a little like TO's, a little bland to listen to talk to but very dynamic on the field.

Just my opinion.

One more thing, Nebraska is not a rebuilding project, it may need a reboot, but if Pelini is fired the next coach is not coming into a situation where the cupboard is bare, it may just need a little different direction and refocusing.

I am also in Idaho. As it were, I would not think that Peterson would make the move to NU. Perhaps the $ would entice him. But he has a good gig in Boise and I am not sure why he would move to NU except for money. Of course, many people do things for money.

Boise is a great place to live (almost always in the top 5 in the nation rankings) and his team has had success. And the pressure is less. So... it would take a great deal to get him to move. If he were interested in NU... NU should take a look. Peterson's teams are very well coached.

Again just a feeling I have. I don't think a lot of places out there would really be a great fit for Peterson, but I think Nebraska would be.

Pocatello. Home of the mighty Idaho State Bengals.

Just my opinion.

Cool, live in a little town called Parma just west of Boise. I would imagine I get a little more Bronco stuff than you do then. I guess I just feel that if he were to make a move it would be within the next couple of years or he won't go at all.

Just my opinion.

Cool, live in a little town called Parma just west of Boise. I would imagine I get a little more Bronco stuff than you do then. I guess I just feel that if he were to make a move it would be within the next couple of years or he won't go at all.

I would imagine you do get more BSU than I... that said, BSU is very popular here... and Pete is very, very respected.

If he would be interested in NU (and NU in him) --- I would be pleased. Perhaps there would be a better option for NU... but if so, it would be quite the option as Pete is a very, very good coach.

Scott Frost would be the only person that I see that would have genuine interest in the job at NU. I think a lot of the names thrown around in this thread are pipe dreams.

Why would you think NU would be so unattractive to potential coaches? NU has great history. great facilities. Is in a fine conference. has some athletes on board that are pretty good. Has a good academic history for athletes. We have a record sellout streak, great support. And NU has $ to offer.

There are, of course, better programs and higher level coaching positions... but NU is still an attractive option. I do not buy the argument of "NU's fan and administration's expectations are too high" as an argument against a coach coming here." Expectations are high in many places and media scrutiny abounds in many places. NU is not special in that way.

NU has appeal... not like it used to... but it still has appeal. They should not have to settle for hiring a newbie coach with no experience.

Scott Frost would be the only person that I see that would have genuine interest in the job at NU. I think a lot of the names thrown around in this thread are pipe dreams.

Why would you think NU would be so unattractive to potential coaches? NU has great history. great facilities. Is in a fine conference. has some athletes on board that are pretty good. Has a good academic history for athletes. We have a record sellout streak, great support. And NU has $ to offer.

There are, of course, better programs and higher level coaching positions... but NU is still an attractive option. I do not buy the argument of "NU's fan and administration's expectations are too high" as an argument against a coach coming here." Expectations are high in many places and media scrutiny abounds in many places. NU is not special in that way.

NU has appeal... not like it used to... but it still has appeal. They should not have to settle for hiring a newbie coach with no experience.

It would be the same song and dance after Solich was fired. No coach wants to go to a program where even if you win 10 games that's never going to be good enough.

• Fire 1

It would be the same song and dance after Solich was fired. No coach wants to go to a program where even if you win 10 games that's never going to be good enough.

Nah. If you want to coach a nationally relevant team that competes for Championships --- as many do --- you know that 9 wins a season is not enough --- not when there are 4 losses and the wins are not there against ranked teams. No coach would look at the record NU has put up these last half-dozen years against ranked --- and even un-ranked conference foes and not see plenty of room for improvement. Expecting more than 9-4 teams year and and year out against NU's schedule is not an expectation that a good coach would find intimidating at all.

That is total and complete BS. If that was the case then Kelly wouldn't have gone to ND, and Hoke wouldn't have gone to UM. People didn't want to come after Frank was fired because they took a look at how little talent that was on that team and with an idiot AD that demanded unrealistic results, anyone with half a brain didn't want to come here. There are holes on this team, esp on both lines, but a coach that isn't scared to recruit against the big boys and understands that recruiting is his lifeblood will succeed here.

Frank and Bo have gotten their butt kicked because they had your defeatist attitude towards recruiting. If you give up on the most talented kids without really trying, then those same kids are going to kick your butt on the field.