I'd rather give Tressel a shot than Bobby Petrino. Tressel is loyal while Petrino is not so much. If Petrino did come in and make us a winner, he'd jet at the first opportunity for a job at Texas, USC, etc. At the end of the day, one really has to ask themselves if misleading the NCAA is worse than locking up a firearm used in a felony? I know things have changed but Tressel got jobbed. How is what Pryor and company did any worse than what Johnny Football did?

Nebraska definitely has disadvantages over places like USC and Texas, but so do the majority of Division One schools. I know from a monetary stand point, Nebraska could pay just about whatever we want. We have the athletic department to compete with any school and we're one of the few that drives in profits every year.

My qualms with Tressel - he's 60 and who knows how much longer he wants to coach. Since leaving tOSU, he's also taken non-coaching related positions and was rumored to be looking at a President job at Youngstown State. He hasn't exactly pursued the football coaching arena. Face value - he's not interested or the right opportunity hasn't come along. I also think he'd be less-than-enthused about returning to the conference where he was so successful and then dealing with all the baggage that comes with it.

And yeah, as ADS pointed out, Tressel knowingly played ineligible players. Big no no.

Bobby Petrino left the Falcons high and dry. Imagine if he were our coach today and just heard Kiffin got fired at USC. I could see him telling us to suck it while he took the job at USC. I don't think Tressel has sought other football related jobs at the college level because of a ban. Isn't it about over? What Tressel did was wrong and I get it, but what he was covering up was very minor. Clinton lies to a grand jury and very little happens to him. Martha Stewart and Michael Vick lie to a grand jury and they go to jail. Tressel got jobbed like Stewart and Vick.

Koetter built the Boise State program that we know today. He went to a bigger program at Arizone State, and he was fired. Hawkins took over for Koetter at Boise State, and they continued to be very successful. Hawkins left for a bigger program at Colorado, and he was a dismal failure. Why in H E double hockey sticks would we want Hawkins successor? Is it three times a charm or three strikes and you're out? I hear the name come up all the time, and for the life of me I can't understand why. I'd rather take a chance on Tressel or Petrino long before I would Peterson.

Actually it was Houston Nutt who really got the ball rolling. Peterson is a different coach than either Koetter or Hawkins different temperament different approach to things. Besides as I said before NU is not some three year rebuilding project like ASU or sCUm was when they got to those places.

I guess the questions that beg to be asked are: What level of prior dishonesty is considered permissible for a potential Nebraska coaching hire? At what point are we willing to look the other way in our pursuit for success? Help me out here, because isn't that what I'm reading?

Well stated. Tressel and Petrino should get no consideration whatsoever.

Koetter built the Boise State program that we know today. He went to a bigger program at Arizone State, and he was fired. Hawkins took over for Koetter at Boise State, and they continued to be very successful. Hawkins left for a bigger program at Colorado, and he was a dismal failure. Why in H E double hockey sticks would we want Hawkins successor? Is it three times a charm or three strikes and you're out? I hear the name come up all the time, and for the life of me I can't understand why. I'd rather take a chance on Tressel or Petrino long before I would Peterson.

Actually it was Houston Nutt who really got the ball rolling. Peterson is a different coach than either Koetter or Hawkins different temperament different approach to things. Besides as I said before NU is not some three year rebuilding project like ASU or sCUm was when they got to those places.

Nutt, forced out fired. Koetter, fired. Hawkins, fired. I'm sure Koetter did things different than Nutt. I'm also sure he has a different temperament. I'm sure Hawkins was different than Koetter. Do you see a trend here? Patterson was the best coach until TCU joined the Big 12. Let Boise State join a big boy conference before we fall into the trend of the next victim of a Boise State coach. Koetter and Hawkins would have been horrible here at Nebraska even though we're not a rebuilding project. I have a feeling this is the biggest reason Peterson has never left Boise State. He could go on to be very good at a bigger name school, but the trend here is unmistakeable.

I guess the questions that beg to be asked are: What level of prior dishonesty is considered permissible for a potential Nebraska coaching hire? At what point are we willing to look the other way in our pursuit for success? Help me out here, because isn't that what I'm reading?

It's settled then!

Dr. Tom or bust!

No, I get what you are saying and I hate even thinking about change of our HC but the reality is, it could happen!

Everyone makes a bad judgment or mistakes in their lives and I can't judge others because I am not without faults.

I just know that as deep as we are in the (Process) ha-ha, we can't afford to start over and hire the inexperienced and hope for the best!

HC

Craig Bohl

Assistant HC/OC

Scott Frost

I think realistically this is probably the best option we'd have. It's certainly not a home run but it has a lot of positives to it.

I know people say, "Bohl already failed here!" But HC and DC are very different skill sets. It would appear his management/CEO/PR skills are very good. He would need to hire a qualified DC, and then he could at most give some input to the defense. Plus, I imagine he's learned some things and grown over the past decade since he got fired here.

Frost is not entirely proven as a great OC, but the early results are impressive. Plus the quality and diversity of offensive minds he's worked with over the years (Walsh, Osborne, Parcels, Chip Kelly) is impressive. And some of these guys have gone out of their way to praise his coaching potential. His recruiting resume speaks for itself.

I don't know either of them personally, but I haven't seen evidence of significant character flaws. North Dakota is about as conservative a place as you'll ever find and Bohl is well liked there. Frost may be an a-hole or douche or whatever but he seems to stay out of trouble and be respected by his colleagues and players.

As far as longevity, Bohl doesn't seem to have that need to constantly be looking for the next best thing. Plus he's 55, which isn't old but also not young in today's coaching landscape. Give Frost a 10% raise, plus assistant HC title with the assumption that he will take over when Bohl if finished. He's only 38.

OR, Bo turns it around and everything is fine. But if not, I think the above is a somewhat realistic option.

Nutt, forced out fired. Koetter, fired. Hawkins, fired. I'm sure Koetter did things different than Nutt. I'm also sure he has a different temperament. I'm sure Hawkins was different than Koetter. Do you see a trend here? Patterson was the best coach until TCU joined the Big 12. Let Boise State join a big boy conference before we fall into the trend of the next victim of a Boise State coach. Koetter and Hawkins would have been horrible here at Nebraska even though we're not a rebuilding project. I have a feeling this is the biggest reason Peterson has never left Boise State. He could go on to be very good at a bigger name school, but the trend here is unmistakeable.

I guess I will agree to disagree with you then. I here him speak and watch his teams every day on TV and the radio around here. His demeanor is for lack of a better word much more like TO's than any other coach I have seen. His offense is innovative and constantly evolving. His defenses play hard and with discipline. That is all done with very average talent.

The coaching world is full of dozens of coaches that moved on to bigger gigs and didn't succeed, not saying Peterson would at NU but I like him at 45 years old way better than a 60 year old Tressel like you want.

They both did bad things, and IMHO, Petrino's was worse. I have the utmost distaste for people that cheat on their significant others, or selfishly hurt their families in the name of a young woman/man and a good time. That said, they've both paid their price and deserve a shot somewhere, and I wouldn't be up in arms if that place turned out to be Nebraska.

And junior, I definitely agree there are more lucrative locations for a coach than Nebraska. We all know that. We've got quite a few disadvantages. But, I do take solace in the fact that we could pay him just about whatever he wanted. And I'd still put Nebraska at a Top 15 job in the country. But, I don't think you can make a potential coach's desire to leave a significant factor in your hiring process, unless it's blatantly obvious he's looking to jump somewhere. Why? Look at Saban. Alabama fans are slowly becoming terrified that he may bolt for the blemished portion of his career - the NFL. While it's important to take into consideration a person's long term goals, I think you take that risk with just about any hire.

Off the top of my head, the only jobs I don't think you would ever bail out on are USC, Alabama, LSU or Texas. But, I could even see someone bailing Alabama/LSU in favor of Texas.

They both did bad things, and IMHO, Petrino's was worse. I have the utmost distaste for people that cheat on their significant others, or selfishly hurt their families in the name of a young woman/man and a good time. That said, they've both paid their price and deserve a shot somewhere, and I wouldn't be up in arms if that place turned out to be Nebraska.

And junior, I definitely agree there are more lucrative locations for a coach than Nebraska. We all know that. We've got quite a few disadvantages. But, I do take solace in the fact that we could pay him just about whatever he wanted. And I'd still put Nebraska at a Top 15 job in the country. But, I don't think you can make a potential coach's desire to leave a significant factor in your hiring process, unless it's blatantly obvious he's looking to jump somewhere. Why? Look at Saban. Alabama fans are slowly becoming terrified that he may bolt for the blemished portion of his career - the NFL. While it's important to take into consideration a person's long term goals, I think you take that risk with just about any hire.

Off the top of my head, the only jobs I don't think you would ever bail out on are USC, Alabama, LSU or Texas. But, I could even see someone bailing Alabama/LSU in favor of Texas.

MY mom worked with Craig Bohls wife, and she told her that Bohl was cheating on her.

No one has mentioned John Gruden. Thats my dream coach. Has he talked about going back into caoching? He has been out a pretty long time now

I think Tressel would be okay. I personally could care less about what he did. He lied to protect his kids, most of us have done something on that level if we are honest with ourselves. I know I covered for a few kids, that were good kids that made mistakes. You do that as a parent, coach or SNCO.

As far as the tats, if you believe all these poor college kids are paying for their tattoos that continually grow, you will swallow anything.

Tressel would be a return to Osborne type coaching. I really cannot think of anyone that reminds me more of Coach Osborne than Coach Tressel. Tom did some things very comparable on several occasions.

The problem with Coach Tressel is age? I think he is getting up there and we would looking for a new coach relatively quickly.

Petrino, everyone makes mistakes, being a college coach, around the sexual environment of todays youth, has to be the most tempting work scene in the world. Not saying it is right, but people make mistakes. His wife has forgiven him, and he has supposedly corrected his ways. I am sure he would be on a short leash.

Broiles(spelling) is one that would interest me. He has taken Baylor from the bottom to a very respected program, would bring in Texas recruiting it would seem.

I would prefer, not changing if this can work. We will know more this weekend I think.

We need a new strength and conditioning program as much as anything, so go after the best here

Jim Tressel as HC, regardless of their past we need someone that would make the move to Lincoln and proven, someone can teach him how to e-mail

Scott Frost as OC only because he would keep the group that need some emotional tie to Osborne happy and he's coached at an elite (consistant top 5) level of play, seems to understand what it takes in 2013, if not him Bobby Petrino or get Shawn Watson back

DC let Tressel decide, because the Huskers are so irrelevant these days you're not going to get a lateral move from someone decent, they have to completely start from scratch, To keep the Solich/Pelini fans happy bring in Marvin Sanders, no one on my list would come to Nebraska with out HC possibilities like Bud Foster

Regardless we need recruiters and no more buddy hires, if you want to try out Peters as a motivational supervisor or Asst. DC for the defensive line, it's worth a try

We would need a big hire like this to get the recruits that we need. Not sure of Scott would make a lateral move - what's in it for him unless he was named 'coached in waiting" assistance HC.

If it comes to BP being fired at the end of the season, I think they really should go after Pederson at BSU. Living up here in Bronco country I am getting the feeling that he may be ready to make a change. Just a feeling. I know he has had offers before, but nothing was really that good a fit as Nebraska would be to him. BSU is a program a lot like Nebraska, it just doesn't have as much history.

The glitz and glamour of some programs would not really interest him. He is a grinder and his personality is a little like TO's, a little bland to listen to talk to but very dynamic on the field.

Just my opinion.

One more thing, Nebraska is not a rebuilding project, it may need a reboot, but if Pelini is fired the next coach is not coming into a situation where the cupboard is bare, it may just need a little different direction and refocusing.

I am also in Idaho. As it were, I would not think that Peterson would make the move to NU. Perhaps the $ would entice him. But he has a good gig in Boise and I am not sure why he would move to NU except for money. Of course, many people do things for money.

Boise is a great place to live (almost always in the top 5 in the nation rankings) and his team has had success. And the pressure is less. So... it would take a great deal to get him to move. If he were interested in NU... NU should take a look. Peterson's teams are very well coached.