TA Starting Per ESPN

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen3m

Offensive line coach John Garrison says Nebraska cut its playbook in half for SDSU. Should help the inexperienced QBs.

Sometimes simplifying things from a strategy perspective helps focus on execution (Bo, can I get an "amen?") and can make an offense look pretty darn good. It especially helps when that defense is smaller, slower, and not as talented. I'm really hoping that we've learned a lot in these last two weeks because we'll probably need a little more strategy as our opponents improve. Among those that need to have learned is our offensive co-ordinator. Stick with what works. Make them stop it before you change.

Jon Nyatawa was on Benning & Sharpe this morning, and he made some good points about TM and TA. Now, TA may be the future, but TM will probably be needed if NU is to win tough games in November. Think about last year, when TM was such a difference-maker in wins against Michigan State, Northwestern, and Penn State.

Of course, Martinez is only effective if he is 100% and a threat as a running QB. Armstrong may not be the "breakaway threat" that TM is, but he could be the "steadier QB" of the two. Armstrong will get the 3-7 yards on his QB runs, and keep the offense on schedule. I am very interested in seeing how the offense responds this week (and possibly next week) under Armstrong, but it is way too early to be calling for TM to be benched for the rest of the year.

• Fire 2

Jon Nyatawa was on Benning & Sharpe this morning, and he made some good points about TM and TA. Now, TA may be the future, but TM will probably be needed if NU is to win tough games in November. Think about last year, when TM was such a difference-maker in wins against Michigan State, Northwestern, and Penn State.

Of course, Martinez is only effective if he is 100% and a threat as a running QB. Armstrong may not be the "breakaway threat" that TM is, but he could be the "steadier QB" of the two. Armstrong will get the 3-7 yards on his QB runs, and keep the offense on schedule. I am very interested in seeing how the offense responds this week (and possibly next week) under Armstrong, but it is way too early to be calling for TM to be benched for the rest of the year.

TM also was part of the problem in many games that came down to the wire. Not the only problem but part of it.

Because a speedy QB gives a defense more fits.

If we put Mike Rozier in his prime on this team the defense will have fits. Add Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Ameer Abdullah, Imani Cross and a QB who can take it to the house if you blink wrong on every snap, and they have more to worry about.

That's the idea, anyway. Hasn't worked out that way with Taylor much of the year, though. Maybe it will for Tommy. Here's hoping....

I don't even think Tommy needs to take it the house on any given play like Taylor can.....

He just needs to limit his mistakes, play within the offense and be a manager that can run for the first down on a 3rd and 5 type situation if need be.

If he can do those things above, the offense will move, and it will move with authority IMO.

Agree. Which is why I think Tommy gives us a better chance to win right now. I think he's a cross between Ganz and freshman Taylor. We don't need his legs, but he's got them. He just needs to use his head, distribute and on occasion take advantage of a running lane. But the offense doesn't need to be built around his legs.

I totally agree.

With his amazing plays, there comes some risk with it. I just wish he played a bit cleaner and didn't cough the ball up so much. No one can disagree that he was a difference maker in how NEB won those games

Because a speedy QB gives a defense more fits.

If we put Mike Rozier in his prime on this team the defense will have fits. Add Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Ameer Abdullah, Imani Cross and a QB who can take it to the house if you blink wrong on every snap, and they have more to worry about.

That's the idea, anyway. Hasn't worked out that way with Taylor much of the year, though. Maybe it will for Tommy. Here's hoping....

I don't even think Tommy needs to take it the house on any given play like Taylor can.....

He just needs to limit his mistakes, play within the offense and be a manager that can run for the first down on a 3rd and 5 type situation if need be.

If he can do those things above, the offense will move, and it will move with authority IMO.

Agree. Which is why I think Tommy gives us a better chance to win right now. I think he's a cross between Ganz and freshman Taylor. We don't need his legs, but he's got them. He just needs to use his head, distribute and on occasion take advantage of a running lane. But the offense doesn't need to be built around his legs.

Isn't that why we have Thunder, Lightning, and the Flash for running backs? Let the plays be designed around them.

TM also was part of the problem in many games that came down to the wire. Not the only problem but part of it.

And I agree with this sentiment also...

With his explosive plays, he will give up a INT or a fumble once in a while.....

Is that ok!? I don't believe it is all, esp. at a critical time in the game...

Taylor would be straight scary as a QB if he would clean up his turnovers....

I totally agree.

With his amazing plays, there comes some risk with it. I just wish he played a bit cleaner and didn't cough the ball up so much. No one can disagree that he was a difference maker in how NEB won those games

I don't think TM should be benched for the whole year. But him watching TA be successful can light a fire under his arse. My hope is if/when TM returns he goes all out AKA freshmen year on ground and last year in the pass. Would be fun to watch.

Any word on how bad TM is injured?

It's turf toe. Nobody really knows a good timeline for recovery. Sometimes it lingers for weeks.

One reason among others I hate FieldTurf. Our Memorial stadium is spectacular except fake turf. Push natural grass right away!.....like next off-season.

Turf toe is named from the injury being associated with playing sports on rigid surfaces such as artificial turf and is a fairly common injury among professional football players. Often, the injury occurs when someone or something falls on the back of the calf while that leg's knee and tips of the toes are touching the ground. The toe is hyperextended and thus the joint is injured. Additionally, athletic shoes with very flexible soles combined with cleats that "grab" the turf will cause overextension of the big toe. This can occur on the lesser toes as well. This is a primary reason why many athletes prefer natural grass to turf, because it is softer

Artificial turf does not = FieldTurf which is a much softer surface.