Ohio State @ Northwestern

tschu

Should we??

What advantage do we have over Wisconsin at this point?

I'm talking pre. If we had committed to the B12, everyone stays. We were the keystone, the lynchpin, whatever. It all hinged on us there for 2 weeks in the summer of 2010. (If Colorado goes, whatever, we replace them with WVU/Louisville/TCU). But owning the Big 10 West is not going to ever be the same as owning the Big 12 North (assuming we manage to beat out Wisconsin on a year to year basis in the Big 10 West)

I couldn't disagree more. Had the Pac 10 allowed Texas to keep the Longhorn Network, UT, OU and the rest are now part of the Pac 16. Those schools and the Pac 10 had very serious discussions. Texas wanted to air all of their league games on the Longhorn Network and keep every penny. Naturally the rest of the member schools weren't going to go with that.

Should we??

What advantage do we have over Wisconsin at this point?

I'm talking pre. If we had committed to the B12, everyone stays. We were the keystone, the lynchpin, whatever. It all hinged on us there for 2 weeks in the summer of 2010. (If Colorado goes, whatever, we replace them with WVU/Louisville/TCU). But owning the Big 10 West is not going to ever be the same as owning the Big 12 North (assuming we manage to beat out Wisconsin on a year to year basis in the Big 10 West)

I couldn't disagree more. Had the Pac 10 allowed Texas to keep the Longhorn Network, UT, OU and the rest are now part of the Pac 16. Those schools and the Pac 10 had very serious discussions. Texas wanted to air all of their league games on the Longhorn Network and keep every penny. Naturally the rest of the member schools weren't going to go with that.

What does that have to do with us?

Wow....time for rule explanations.

1.) You're not allowed to suplex a player 3 seconds after the whistle was blown.

2.) Yes those were obvious holds

3.) When you pick the ball up with your knee on the ground, the play is dead.

The refs were not biased to Ohio State in fact, most of us were bitching that they weren't calling hold sooner.

How do you feel right now Woody?

Also, to the rest of you who watched the entire game, what was the crowd split?

I tuned in late and the camera seemed to have a pretty narrow scope on crowd shots but it sounded like there were a lot of OSU fans.

About 60/40 Northwestern

As I recall the primary purpose of going to a university... is to get an education, not to get an edge on football recruiting.

Yea...you're definitely a Northwestern fan. :cheers

On this I digress. When visiting my company's office in Columbus, I noticed a lot of workers wearing OSU shirts on Friday. It's hard to see anyone in Chicago wearing NU shirts let alone trying to buy one in the stores.. One of them told me that despite two pro teams to the north and south in the state of Ohio, "this is our pro team". Look in the Chicago Tribune and how scrutinized the Bears are where PURPLE NU gets a half a page at most. When they mess up, it's only a half a page . So I guess I can understand the lamenting about leaving the Big 12 for the Big 10 and the loss of traditional rivals and recruiting pipelines. It would be like Dallas losing the Redskins rivalry and trying to conjure up new ones. Or the Bears losing the grudge match with Green Bay (now more the Lions). When the Bears had Tampa Bay as a division "rival" it just didn't work with the ol' Black & Blue division.

As I recall the primary purpose of going to a university... is to get an education, not to get an edge on football recruiting.

On this I digress. When visiting my company's office in Columbus, I noticed a lot of workers wearing OSU shirts on Friday. It's hard to see anyone in Chicago wearing NU shirts let alone trying to buy one in the stores.. One of them told me that despite two pro teams to the north and south in the state of Ohio, "this is our pro team". Look in the Chicago Tribune and how scrutinized the Bears are where PURPLE NU gets a half a page at most. When they mess up, it's only a half a page . So I guess I can understand the lamenting about leaving the Big 12 for the Big 10 and the loss of traditional rivals and recruiting pipelines. It would be like Dallas losing the Redskins rivalry and trying to conjure up new ones. Or the Bears losing the grudge match with Green Bay (now more the Lions). When the Bears had Tampa Bay as a division "rival" it just didn't work with the ol' Black & Blue division.

Slightly different topic than your post---but I gotta say: Now is an exciting time for Northwestern football. There's not a team in the conference that NW can't beat. Should have beat tOSU last night. Fitzgerald has you guys playing some ball. I sure hope he sticks around for a few years.

We get guys from all over. Even in the Big 12 we never just looked in Texas, we still got guys from all over. We got the top RB from Texas and Cali last year. Top QB from Cali. Ameer came from Alabama. Valentine I believe Georgia. McMullen I think Texas. Imani from The south. We are in no way struggling to get talent from the south since joining the Big 10. Plus like was mentioned before, we are getting a lot of guys from Ohio. Courtney Love is a guy we beat OSU out for.

This year one of the top QBs from Florida which we beat OSU out for. He probably will never play again, but we still won the battle. Our recruiting classes have been solid since joining the Big 10. And if we start winning more, it will come even easier.

We have twelve guys committed right now. One I mentioned above. Two of those guys are from Texas. We had three but one decommitted after getting an offer from Texas (cant blame him). The only other states we have more guys committed than Texas is Nebraska (3) and Missouri (2). We are not going to leave Texas because of the move to the Big 10.

They used to do that to us with the Bucs too, even today those people exist and I forget why they hate us then I remember how terrible Tampa was playing on the road in the cold. Glad they're out of the Division.

Wow....time for rule explanations.

1.) You're not allowed to suplex a player 3 seconds after the whistle was blown.

2.) Yes those were obvious holds

3.) When you pick the ball up with your knee on the ground, the play is dead.

The refs were not biased to Ohio State in fact, most of us were bitching that they weren't calling hold sooner.

3--He didn't pick the ball up with his knee on the ground. Watch that closer.

The idea that since we joined the Big Ten the Texas well will dry up doesn't hold up in my mind. Texas is the single biggest hotbed of talent in the nation, any major program should be able to tap it even without direct conference access. The idea that Texan recruits have no interest in playing teams like Iowa and Minnesota may be true to a certain extent, but what about our past successes tapping California? I doubt kids from SoCal grew up dreaming of playing K State back in the day (or even Texas or Oklahoma for that matter). Winning is what kids are mostly interested in. We win the conference (certainly doable), win ourselves a Rose Bowl (just saying that cheers me up) and BOOM, our national profile is restored (at least in the short term). We have similar problems to those of Notre Dame and Tennessee, poor local recruiting bases that force us to recruit nationally. But look at what a little success has done in South Bend recruit-wise. Winning solves recruiting problems, just look at how A&M has gotten the jump on Texas. It's not just the SEC recruits are interested in, it's the Aggies recent run coupled with how medicore the Longhorns have been.