Our Pass Defense- Lots of Match Up Zone

jmfb

This is an ok write up on the differences in pass coverage and even talks about what NU does most of the time Cover 2 Shell Matchup Zone

http://www.shakinthe...niques-ii-terms

The short version is a lot of the time our DBs run a tight man to man for the offensive player designated for their zone, when the player leaves the zone, the defender comes off of him. This contrasts to a straight defending grass scenario where the DB gets drops to an area or spot.

THis is usually combined with pattern reading, which depends on a few things- alignment- spacing between the receivers, physical tells from the receiver, tendancies and the drop depth of the QB- Bos version. So yes, the DBs have a bunch of if/thens they have to deal with. It works, but it's really really tough IMO.

• Fire 1

Pass coverage wast somethng I had to do much of in college. We did zone and man. The zone seemed like geometry--angles of drops, depth, direction, and lines of sight.

It was probably the most difficult thing to learn from HS to college besides the minutae of technique details. Going from a 2 dimensional drawing to 3 dimensional space on the field w moving parts. Great article and shows just how gifted Bo is in computing his scheme; he must dream of that stuff at night, because just like geometry, there is an answer for everything. You just gotta find it.

It's times like these that I resign myself to admitting that I just don't know that much about football.

Nothing wrong with that at all

Hopefully puts "all we have to do guy" or "a bus driver could do a better job guy" in his place

At Bos level it's a very diffucult and demanding gig. Its more than just lining up war daddies and say sickem

AND lots of times the wrong guys get blamed by the fans - especially on coverage

You have to watch the replay and understand the coverage and calls to lay blame, even then that doesnt take into consisderation the goal of the defense on that play or the rush

That's the key: time.

One day, in practice the brain wave literally connected to the problem.

I saw everything "a beautiful mind style" and everything made sense. It was spring ball before my JUNIOR year, lol. Not saying I was totally lost, but wen it finally clicked, man, football was fun again like HS.

Like jmfb said, don't just say "why don't they blitz!!?'"

It's a team thing. And there are many variables, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, coming down to experience and execution.

By the end if this year and next 2-3 years, I think our defense will be back to top 25-15 from here on out.

• Fire 1
Good article. Our matchup zone always looks better with a pass rush; hopefully the young guys on the line can provide it as the season goes on.

That's the ticket. This is the part that has been lacking in recent years. Partially due to talent, partially due to the type of scheme we run with our front four. Last weekend it looked like we attacked a bit more up front. I hope it continues. You can execute any coverage scheme to perfection and it won't matter, if opposing qb's have time, they will find an opening.

Good article. Our matchup zone always looks better with a pass rush; hopefully the young guys on the line can provide it as the season goes on.

That's the ticket. This is the part that has been lacking in recent years. Partially due to talent, partially due to the type of scheme we run with our front four. Last weekend it looked like we attacked a bit more up front. I hope it continues. You can execute any coverage scheme to perfection and it won't matter, if opposing qb's have time, they will find an opening.

It was simply the sets that Illinois was in that let us dedicate more guys to the run. A lot of times they only had one vertical threat which allowed us to drop one safety into the box and play man with help on the line wide receiver. They didn't really make us defend sideline to sideline much of the time.

• Fire 1

This is a very informative read speaking from someone who doesn't possess a lot of technical knowledge. Missed tackles/poor technique aside, It seems to be that delay/hook area is a concern the last few years. I guess that due to weak linebacker play, but it seems to be continually soft. Probably a bit of a line problem as well

Most people also dont realize that while the match up zone plays the pass coverage much tighter than the traditional spot drop zone, its MUCH easier to peek into the backfield and support the run when you are spot dropping. When spot dropping You can see vertically in front, and peripherally for pass threats but your eyes are always down field, you key the QB as well. Much easier to sense and see the run using that approach. With match up zone pattern reading you have landmarks and areas, but a lot of your cues for run support come from the receiver, as your eyes are more on him than downfield.

Most people also dont realize that while the match up zone plays the pass coverage much tighter than the traditional spot drop zone, its MUCH easier to peek into the backfield and support the run when you are spot dropping. When spot dropping You can see vertically in front, and peripherally for pass threats but your eyes are always down field, you key the QB as well. Much easier to sense and see the run using that approach. With match up zone pattern reading you have landmarks and areas, but a lot of your cues for run support come from the receiver, as your eyes are more on him than downfield.

Yeah, and if the receiver is intentionally decoying you away from the run....there's that....kind of hard to turn around on a dime.